Notices

Anxiety ridden

Old 10-04-2005, 09:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety ridden

I self-medicate with alcohol to ease my panic attacks.....I know this isn't good but, since I don't have my anxiety pills right now....that's how I deal so that I can go to work and school :slaphead

I'm so scared that I'm going to end up agoraphobic again.....Does anyone else face this problem and have any advice?
Old 10-04-2005, 09:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had anxiety attacks due to withdrawals from alcohol. Once I got through the first few days, I no longer had panic attacks. If you continue to have panic attacks after some time of sobriety, I would talk to your doctor about getting some medication. I really found that Lorazapam helped me tremendously -- but made me very tired so I took it at bedtime.

Also, exercise helps tremendously with anxiety. Best wishes, there is nothing worse than having a panic attack in public.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the quick reply! I've been having problems with anxiety for years and years. Way before I even thought of drinking so, I know it's truly a problem and not just 'after-shocks' of the alcohol! However, I know alcohol only makes it worse~ I'm going to see a doctor soon about getting some lorazepam or diazepam because, I'm sure that when I get sober, I'm really going to need it! I get really shaky from anxiety and alcohol withdrawl.......it's my worst symptom
Old 10-04-2005, 10:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Freedom!!!

I really, really can relate.

This program is amazing. It's for real, the best. Take the free assessment test at the site, order the program. It will save your a$$. You can and will be free!!! Meds are not necessary..........

http://www.stresscenter.com/

Tom
Old 10-04-2005, 11:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Melanie, I have dealt with severe anxiety for about 15 years...also started before I got really into drinking, but once I found that alcohol helped with it I began to drink more and more. I would find that after a night of heavy drinking the hangover would cause so much more anxiety and the only way that I knew to get rid of it was to start drinking all over again....got myself into a viscious cycle. At my worst I was drinking 16-18 beers a day just to keep the anxiety away, but it would always return....and so much worse. I am on day 6...again...I have had a few relapses. And these first few days have been really hard...(sorry...not to discourage you)....but on the up side, I know it does get better, and many people here have said also that the first week or so is the worst and then it does get better. I know that I will never be free of my anxiety, but I also know that I can handle it much better when I am not drinking. As well exercise and proper diet and plenty of rest help tons too....(most of which I dont maintain when I am drinking). Anyways, I hope this helps a little and please dont give up....alcohol, although it helps temporarily, does make anxiety worse, and I know that for me anyways, drinking to self-medicate turns into trouble very quickly... Take care and best wishes....I really do hope that your doctor can help you with the anxiety, or try other methods...Best of luck to you!!
Old 10-04-2005, 11:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Think Happy Thoughts

Panic attacks are a horrible thing to experience and i too used to self medicate but the more i self medicated the more anxiety i felt for doing it the wrong way. it may help for now but sooner or later it may get to be too much. talk to a doctor about the situation and see if theres anything that they can give you. self medication can lead to more trouble and id hate for you to end up in a worse condition than you are now.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I also suffered from panic attacks, especially when driving over a bridge. Living in the Bay Area of California, it really became a significant problem as there are over 8 major bridges. They started in 1989 with the earthquake ( I was on the Bay Bridge approach) and got increasingly worse over time. I would drive an additional 50 miles to avoid a bridge!

I stopped drinking 21 months ago, and guess what? I have never had one, not one, panic attack since.

For me, these were obviously a side effect of my drinking and no other real emotional or medical problem. While others with more persistent attacks have a better sense of what medical treatment you might need, know that drinking only perpetuates the situation. Other "nervous" attacks with height and driving past big rigs also ceased with my drinking.

Just my experience.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Consider..........

I know that I will never be free of my anxiety...........

Seriously, not true. I used to believe the same thing, I might add.

BUT, if you go to this web site, you will find the tools!!!!!!!!

http://www.stresscenter.com/

Tom
Old 10-11-2005, 11:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you to all of you who have replied~ I really do appreciate it and need it. I'm trying to make changes in my life.....slowly but surely. My fiance and I just started going to church last Sunday and I think that will help a lot.....I'm really scared for my life right now but, at least I'm thinking about my life.....right?
Old 10-11-2005, 12:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you....I've heard of this program before. To what extent did you suffer from anxiety? I was agoraphobic last year but, fought myself out of it (thank God). There are mixed reviews for this program. I've heard it's a scam but, if you've used it and it helped you, I'd give it a chance~
Old 10-11-2005, 01:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Clyde's Bonnie

Melanie

I Don't Know If This Will Help, But For Me I Did Something That Doctors Call Bio Feedback- Because I Refused To Be Put On Xanax, Its Deep Breathing- A Bunch Of Crap I Thought- But When I Was Hooked Up To The Heart Machine Within 2 Hours I Had All The Nurses Watching How I Made My Pulse Go From 95 Bpm To 68 Bpm, And Back And Forth, Purposely, So I Guess It Is True. The Deep Relaxing Breathing, Deep Breaths In Thru My Nouse And Out My Mouth. It Helps. Did U Know That When A Person Smokes A Cigg It Is The Continuous In And Out Deep Inhaling And Exhaling For 6 Mins That Calms The Person Down, Not The Nicotine, Nicotine Is A Stimulant. And All This Time I Thought A Cigg Was Making Me Calm When It Really Was My Breathing. Try It, It Can't Hurt, U Have Nothing To Lose. Now Everytime I Feel An Attack Coming On I Close My Eyes And For 3 Minutes Breath Slowly In My Nose And Out My Mouth And I Feel Normal Again. Try It- Lemme Know. Considering U Have No Meds Now, Anything To Benefit Will. Also Alcohol Causes Anxiety.....
Old 10-11-2005, 04:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What you are all talking about arent exactly panic attacks. These are symptoms of delirium tremens. The severe shakes or convulsions are what Im assuming you are all talking about. This isnt caused by "anxiety" like the label suggests. To put it in simple terms,....its the alcoholics physically dependant body crying out for alcohol. The human body of an alcoholic starts to view alcohol as sort of an internal organ since its always there. The brain shuts off the firing of neurotransmitters because alcohol is doing the job for it. Once the alcohol is stopped, the brain doesnt begin firing the transmitters yet and the body starts to shut down. The "shakes" or "anxiety or panic" attacks are what result. This goes on for 3 or 4 days because thats how long the brain takes to begin firing these neurotransmitters again.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Earlybird, we are not talking about withdrawal symptoms, but anxiety.

If you are familiar with the English Hamilton scale, my score I believe was around a 19 or so, which is considered moderate. Regardless, it's a geniune problem for all of us!

The program is designed to help everyone, is certainly is not a scam. It's the real deal.

I have shown the program to various professionals, including my current therapist, all have been impressed.

What kind of program are you working to get, and STAY sober?
Old 10-12-2005, 03:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I never said anything was a scam !!! I just misunderstood. Im sorry. Ill keep my big trap shut, I guess.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
fire dancer

check out the "PTSD" & "mental health" forums, you'll find all sorts of folk dealing with similar issues.......also a form of therapy called EMDR that i did several years back has proven very useful, some "talk" therapy needs to go with it, but that's not how it works.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

It's ok earlybird, don't get upset..
We want you to give your support here, it's really a good thing.. Just don't worry about it, ok....
Melanie,

I have suffered from panic attacks for as long as I can remember.
Be very careful of xanax and ativan, they are as dangerous and as addictive as alcohol,, or any other drug if used wrong, and alot of people misuse them for various reasons, from getting a buzz to just taking more than they are supposed to without DR knowing. That is a bad thing, I had heard that withdrawal from benzos is one of the worst that no one would want ever want to put themselves through.

Ok, having said that, I take Ativan, but I wanted to be clear on the dangers of these meds. I have taken them for a while, and I take as doctor orders, or less than doctor orders. Because I am afraid, I have heard some terrible stories..
It's a real good idea to try other ways of dealing first. I went to a doc and learned a bunch of the deep breathing a few years ago, and it does help, to an extent fo me. But since my pain killer addiction began, my anxiety is much, much worse,.and it has always been bad,.
They do make many different kinds of anti-depressants that also work very well on anxiety,, such as Zoloft. There are many more too. I have tried many of them, none have worked for me, for one reason or another, which would take me all day to tell you about and I'm leaving to go to my recovery group soon, but I did want to say hi, and tell you what I know.

Talk to a doctor about the meds, he should be able to give yopu an idea on some that might be worth trying. I would do that before goig straight for the benzos..

Hang in threre, go seek some help there are many recovery groups that also help just going and taliing or listening..

Love, Becky
Old 10-12-2005, 10:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Earlybird, ONLY the first line was directed towards you.....my bad! Sorry!
Old 10-13-2005, 10:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi 1 day @ a time~

I'm not saying the program is a scam....I apologize if you were offended.. I was just saying that I have heard of it and that it is controversal. I appreciate your recommendation and I will look into it....so thank you
Old 10-13-2005, 10:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Earlybird,

I just wanted to let you know that it IS anxiety and Panic attacks that I suffer from..and so does about 13% of the population (last time I looked into it). I understand what you are saying about alchohol withdrawls and yes, that has happened also, from self-medicating. However, I have been suffering from the anxiety long before I even thought about drinking...it also runs in my family.

I'm working on it. Thank you for your reply
Old 10-13-2005, 10:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Angelgirl

From being a long sufferer of anxiety, I have been on and off benzos and SSRI's for years. I prefer to be 'off' of them, though I never mix meds with alcohol because I know the dangers....my Dad died from the combination....

Anyway, Thank you for your input! I really want to try the biofeedback....I just got quality health insurance recently and plan to make an appointment

To everyone, thanks again!