Help...Question?

Old 09-30-2005, 07:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
hurt and confused

Lightbulb Help I am new here!!!!!!!

Hi.

I have a stupid question. I have been trying to get my husband to go to help for a long time. I came in here to read what others have to say and learn.

I am a very smart woman who knows when he drinks. He hides it from me. I can tell from his personality of course. He only drinks enough every day to stay so called calm or lethargic.

I always have smelled beer on his breathe. Always, I know he has now switched off and on to Tequila.
What are some of the tricks used to disquise alchohol on ones breath? Something is up big time.

Thanks
Old 09-30-2005, 02:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.... We are glad you found us.

Wow tricks??? My ex-abf never bothered with tricks so Im not sure. I guess they could use breath mints and colone?? Just not sure about that one.

One thing though that I pick up on is your need to control his drinking. As much as this sucks ... there is not much you can do about him. One thing I learned is I did not cause it, I cant cure it and I can control it. You will drive yourself insane trying to do this because they will use everything in their power to get the next drink. I finally had to amitt defeat and get help through Al-anon for myself

Im sorry you are going through this, SR is a great place to learn too, please keep coming back and sharing... we are all in this together.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR I heard once that peanut butter would cover. I never heard if it works. I doubt it. Vodka doesn't smell as much as everything else, but morning breath pretty bad.
Please read as many posts as you can. They usually cause many worse problems than smell or stagger etc.
Keep coming back.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Loads of info on here for you. The Sticky posts are a great way to start - check out the ones on the nar-anon forum too.

I am a very smart woman who knows when he drinks.
So why do you need to know the tricks? If you know, you know. My ex was similar - very rarely got roaring drunk. But the destructive behaviours are still very much a part of that type of drinker, in my experience. I couldn't live with them in the end.

Al-anon is a great way to meet people in the same situation as you. Through going to meetings, counselling and reading (a lot!), I discovered that I had choices and also built up the strength to act on those choices.

Look forward to getting to know you.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well....

parsley and those green chlorphyll (sp?) breath mints do mask the smell .
Listerine is not bad either as it has a lot of alcohol.

Kussing is a better indicator than smell. IMO

Why not just decide he is drinking and go from there?

Just my experience....

Welcome to SR!
Old 09-30-2005, 07:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Listerine (especially when they don't spit it out and drink it after swishing )

I used to chew the strongest smelling gum possible when I drank to try and cover it up. Watermelon flavored. Of course, we always think we've got people fooled, but not ALL of them

One of my bosses used to carry a bottle of Vicks Formula 44 in his coat pocket every day. I was way naive and not a drinker back then and thought "Boy, he must have a really bad cough", but never heard him cough.

The other posts are correct, though, in the fact that even if he's trying to hide it, the fact is that he's drinking and won't stop until HE wants to.

Keep posting.

((hugs))
Old 09-30-2005, 09:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
harleygirl92156

Now that hubby is sober his addiction to BIG RED GUM has also gone away. I know now that he chewed it to cover up the beer. Worked pretty good, or?????? was that part of the denial on my part???

You know he is drinking, how is it going to help him stop if you know how he covers the smell? He is still drinking smell or no smell.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Tricia
If you still haven't found your thread I've brought it up for you
Old 10-04-2005, 07:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
hurt and confused

Thank you.I guess you picked up on something that I did not. I have stopped trying to get him to go. I did for a long time. But I do try and figure it out just like the breath. I could not figure out how to find my post until someone helped me. so thank you for replying.
Tricia
Old 10-04-2005, 10:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

I dont always know when one is drinking. There are many tricks.
Gum
Peanut Butter
Chocolate
cough drops

I could go on for days.

But~ What are your boundaries? Will you change something should he drink?

What are you willing to do to keep yourself emotionally safe and sane, if he does drink?

If you dont have any boundaries and just want to 'catch him', you may get hurt. What good would that do?

What should you do for yourself today?
Old 10-04-2005, 01:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

susane you are so good to help. Might I add?
Tricaia , after you get on site go to bottom of page, lists members on line. click on your name, click profile and find the date you posted, then back to site and at bottom of page is pages to go back on, go back till you see your date. Hope that was clear??