adult child of methadone addict

Old 09-28-2005, 04:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

adult child of methadone addict

HI, my name is Leslee and I have some questions about methadone. My mom
was addicted to methadone all of my life, about 20 yrs. In 1997 she finally detoxed off in a rehab that took 2 long months. I had a clean mom for about 3 yrs straight. About a year ago she started taking vicodin and tried 4 times with help from doctors to stop. After the 4'th time of relapsing the doctors suggested methadone was the best thing for her! I don't believe that nor do I want my mom back on it. There are to many bad memories of my childhood and methadone. Is methadone recovery? Am I wrong for feeling this way?
Old 09-29-2005, 04:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Leslee, welcome to Sober Recovery.
I am clueless when it comes to methadone, but I'm sure some other people will be along to give you some suggestions.
Glad you found us, stick around.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Leslee, welcome to SR...
My fiance is using methadone in recovery...prescribed by a doctor, and, with a little faith, again only using it as prescribed.
Many people seem to have differing opinions on methadone's uses as a way to treat addiction. And, all are entitled to their opinions. My take on it, after long discussion with my fiance, with a substance abuse counselor, and reading opinion's of others here as well, is that it can be an effective way of treating narcotic addiction. Unfortunately, it is also a narcotic, it is addictive in itself, and can be abused. I can't begin to say that your mother should or shouldn't make an effort with methadone. Whether or not it works for her is pretty much dependent upon whether she wants to live a better life or not, IMO. IF she is taking it ONLY as the physician prescribes, on an amount that doesn't get her high, but 'blocks' withdrawal and cravings for other drugs, my understanding is that yes, it can be an effective treatment.
What it really comes down to, is that if she wants to stop abusing narcotics, she will find her way. You can't do it for her, and you can't control how she does it.

Now, what about you? There are plenty of options for you to make YOUR life better, whether your mom handles her issues or not. Have you been to any face to face meetings - Nar-anon, Al-anon, ACOA? These are really, really good tools for you to find face to face support for your own issues, your own hurts and triumphs, as addiction and alcoholism are family diseases - meaning that you never have to pick up any substance yourself, the pain of these diseases still affects your life. There are also some sticky posts at the beginning of each of the family forums here (Nar-anon, Friends and Family of Alcoholics, and ACoA) that are filled with valuable information. Please take a look at them, it might help, and definitely won't hurt.
You've found a great place to locate support. There are so many of us here who care about someone who has a substance abuse issue...you'll find that we all understand what you are going through, and what you are dealing with. Keep coming back, keep reading, and keep posting. This website is a great place...but, you'll find that out for yourself if you just stick around.

Trisha
Old 09-29-2005, 02:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

My opinion is that using any mood-and-mind altering substance, prescribed or not, is dangerous for an addict. It's a slippery slope to begin with, and using another chemical is like putting butter on yer shoes... Addiction has a voracious appetite, and it ain't picky. The addicted brain doesn't care what it's being fed, so long as it ends up high.

My feeling is that, while she may need medical supervision to detox from her current drug-of-choice, she'd benefit from attending Narcotics Anonymous meetings. Of course, these are her choices to make...

I would suggest trying some Al-Anon meetings yourself, if you haven't already, to deal with the effects this addiction has had on you.

By the way, my Dad's been clean from a 20+ year methadone (and alcohol... heroin... pills... whaddya got? ) addiction for many years now. He has his life back again!