Notices

1st Post Ever - Have 2 Questions

Old 09-27-2005, 10:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1st Post Ever - Have 2 Questions

Hello everyone here at this forum. This is my first post and I'll briefly ask my questions.

Short history is that I'm almost 44, been a daily drinker for nearly 20 years with a 10-month break when I was pregnant 14 years ago. I had blood tests done and found out yesterday my liver function tests are elevated, normal range is 2 to 45, and mine came back at 78. This is definitely the result of drinking and indicates I have liver damage and/or liver disease. I have not drank since I learned about this. I will not drink again. Drinking again for me would be like writing my own death sentence.

My questions are: I'm in day 2 of no alcohol. Should I worry about withdrawals occurring, and for how long should I be concerned about them? What would be some signs to look for that it might be occurring?

Next - does anyone know about liver function, and if I never drink again, would my liver begin to heal itself or is damage to a liver similar to damage to the heart, not reparable?

Any advice appreciated.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Peace begins with a smile

I don't have those answers, since I'm not a doctor. Did you ask your doctor?

I just wanted to say... welcome and congrats on your decision to stop drinking..
Old 09-27-2005, 10:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

(((((New2Sobriety))))

First I want to welcome you to SR and we are glad that you are here, I am happy that you shared what you did this is how it works and you told some of my story there. I too am in my 40's (male), but this is not enough to keep me sober that is for sure. I too have some sort of Liver problems and I just found this out, but I am going to have to get a biopsy (sp) done, maybe you will need to do that also to see how much damage is done OK>

I was on a 3,000 dollar a week drug and alcohol addiction when I got here and the withdrawls for me were hard, but I made it through them, and I did not go to any dry out place I did it at meetings, and here at SR and OMG do these people know where I used to be and also where I am today. I do know that you can do this deal if you really want it but we only have to do it for today. God bless you and I will send a thought and a prayer your way.

Love Vic
Old 09-27-2005, 10:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm not really sure how to navigate in this forum yet so I hope I'm replying the correct way.

To Vic, thank you for your well wishes. I never thought about having to have a liver biopsy and I certainly do not want one. That in itself is a scary thought. Do you have any particulars on your liver tests, like what kind you had or the value (or number) of the result?

Also, to the other poster, yes I do have an appointment Friday with a doctor regarding the liver function tests. It's a new doctor and I don't know what he will propose. I really wanted to ask about him about the withdrawal factor and what, if anything I need to do to prepare for that. But since the appointment is not until Friday, I suppose I will have been through 5 days of sobriety by then and if I were to experience withdrawal, I would have done so by the time I see him.

Thank you for welcoming me here. I have made my firm resolve to not drink again. I don't even see temptation being a factor, because once I was hit with the truth of the damage I've caused myself physically, it was easy to make the decision to stop entirely. I've been wanting to for some time, but needed actual medical documentation to do it. I was sick two days last week from hangovers and didn't work. You would think that would have been enough for me to want to stop permanently, but of course, that wasn't good enough. I needed the hard cold facts told to me by my lab results.

I'll keep checking back here for more info. I realize I can learn a lot from everyone here. Maybe someday I can help someone also.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

You have already helped me so that is done, but keep coming back and posting and yes you are doing alot better than I was at the navigating thing hell I didn't even know how to run a computer since I had never ran one. I am not sure of the test results I forgot but they are high enough I guess for them to want to get a biopsy right, OK take care and will keep in touch.

Love Vic
Old 09-27-2005, 12:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As to the withdrawals, I was 56 when I made the decision to get sober and I did not experience any withdrawal problems on a physical level. I was drinking at the time, and for several years, about 3/4 of a liter of scotch an evening. My decision to quit was motivated by what had happened in my personal and business life, and while not medical, suffice to say I was one highly motivated person. I do not know if it was the motivation (as you appear to have) or pure luck, but I never did experience the physical side effects of withdrawal.

Possibly due to genetics, I escaped the liver damage, so no advice in that area.

Be sure to continue to participate here and get some real knowledge on how to combat this disease. It is a life long journey as there is no cure. But with 21 months of sobriety, I can tell you the journey is one worth taking and filled with unbelievable rewards. It takes commitment and work, just be sure to do it.

Best wishes and I look forward to your participation in these forums. I found so much help here and so will you, if you only ask.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, and congrats on your decision to quit. As far as withdrawals go, if you are two days in and have no symptoms you just might be in the clear. It took me about 3 days to feel decent, and I experienced hot and cold flashes, shakes, elevated blood pressure, and sleepless nights.

I also have elevated liver function tests. Mine were in the 90's and I ashamed to admit that I have been avoiding my Dr. for about a year. I have an appointment on Friday though, so will go face the music. He wasn't all that concerned about the levels and felt they would come down with abstinence. Too bad I was so pig-headed and stupid. I am scared to see him, but I will.

From what I have heard and read, the liver has incredible regenerative powers if treated kindly. Also Milk Thistle and Artichoke (available in capsule form at health food stores) are supposed to help repair. I'm also using a product called Liver Renew by Crystal Star. It is a blend of several herbs. Will this help? I don't really know. Probably best to consult your Dr. But to my mind it can't hurt. Also Lecithin, which contains choline and Inositol is good for fatty liver.

Funny ( or not), when drinking I managed to shove all this under the carpet, and now that I am sober I can't wait to be healthy and normal again. I sure hope, for you and me and everyone else in this situation that it is not too late to reverse the awful things we have done to our bodies.

Best to you, keep posting.

Marilyn
Old 09-27-2005, 12:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by New2Sobriety
Hello everyone here at this forum. This is my first post and I'll briefly ask my questions.

Short history is that I'm almost 44, been a daily drinker for nearly 20 years with a 10-month break when I was pregnant 14 years ago. I had blood tests done and found out yesterday my liver function tests are elevated, normal range is 2 to 45, and mine came back at 78. This is definitely the result of drinking and indicates I have liver damage and/or liver disease. I have not drank since I learned about this. I will not drink again. Drinking again for me would be like writing my own death sentence.

My questions are: I'm in day 2 of no alcohol. Should I worry about withdrawals occurring, and for how long should I be concerned about them? What would be some signs to look for that it might be occurring?

Next - does anyone know about liver function, and if I never drink again, would my liver begin to heal itself or is damage to a liver similar to damage to the heart, not reparable?

Any advice appreciated.

It depends on how advanced your liver damage is. You will need a biopsy to determine the amount of damage. I suggest taking milk thistle (500mg) per day before a biopsy. I did this and within 30 days my liver enzymes were at normal levels. but I made the mistake of going back to drinking when it cleared up, that is when got out of control. Back to your question If you have siroccos of the liver it will not repair itself. hepatitis will increase your risk of siroccos . With that bit if info I am happy to see you here and hope you are happy and healthy in life from here on in. Welcome to SR you will find much love and support here. Even if this goes away, please don't drink anymore. The dr. makes it sound bad cause death from liver desease is terrible and painful.

Take care of yourself,
Tim
Old 09-27-2005, 01:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hi and Welcome to SR

nogard
Old 09-27-2005, 02:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you to everyone who have replied to my original post today. I also look forward to staying in touch with you. Two days of no booze and I definitely don't have any desire for any more. Just the thought of a biopsy scares me to death. I won't know until I see my doctor Friday what he recommends, but I'll definitely keep you posted.

Again, I sincerely appreciate your replies to me my first day here at the forum.

I'll be checking back!
Old 09-27-2005, 02:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad that you have made the decision to quit drinking. We are glad to have you here at SR!
Old 09-27-2005, 03:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome!
My elevated liver enzymes dropped dramatically and our now completely normal - after I stopped drinking. See your Dr. and stick around!
JMHS
Old 09-27-2005, 04:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Question 1...alcohol withdrwal can be fatal. I don't have a clue how much you drank, but from the liver numbers I'd guess quite a bit. Have a doc help you through the withdrawl.

Question 2...As a wild assed guess, I'd say you probably have not killed your liver...just damaged it, and yes, the liver can regenerate itself. Were it me I'd keep getting liver enzyme tests done every 2-3 months and see if they stay elevated (bad news) or if they decline to normal levels after stopping drinking (most likely).

Where are you in the first 3 steps of a 12 step program?

BubbaBob
Old 09-27-2005, 04:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BubbaBob
Question 1...alcohol withdrwal can be fatal. I don't have a clue how much you drank, but from the liver numbers I'd guess quite a bit. Have a doc help you through the withdrawl.

Question 2...As a wild assed guess, I'd say you probably have not killed your liver...just damaged it, and yes, the liver can regenerate itself. Were it me I'd keep getting liver enzyme tests done every 2-3 months and see if they stay elevated (bad news) or if they decline to normal levels after stopping drinking (most likely).

Where are you in the first 3 steps of a 12 step program?

BubbaBob
I heard that it takes over 10 years or more for the liver to fully repair itself.
Jerry K....Im sorry but I find it kinda hard to believe that you drank 3/4 liter of scotch EVERYDAY for years and had NO physical withdrawl symptoms. Thats just not medically or humanly possible. Thats like saying "wind doesnt blow my hair around"
Old 09-27-2005, 07:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome!

I am glad you are here....more importantly glad you are getting sober.

As you can see by now..... you get different experiences and opinions from us!

You are wise to see your doctor re liver functions.
Only your medical tests will be accurate/true for you.

If you have do withdrawal symptoms.....Click here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ad.php?t=47857
Old 09-27-2005, 07:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by earlybird
I heard that it takes over 10 years or more for the liver to fully repair itself.
Jerry K....Im sorry but I find it kinda hard to believe that you drank 3/4 liter of scotch EVERYDAY for years and had NO physical withdrawl symptoms. Thats just not medically or humanly possible. Thats like saying "wind doesnt blow my hair around"
Gee why do you find it necessary to be rude to Jeery?
And your medical knowledge comes from where?

Tsk Tsk early....
Old 09-27-2005, 07:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
One day at a time...

Hi and welcome New2sobriety!

You've gotten some great advice already!
Here is a link to many links about the liver and drinking,
http://alcoholism.about.com/od/liver/
I'm a nurse, so my best advice is never be afraid to ask your doctor questions, in doubt about his/her advice, seek another opinion.

hugs
MMH
Old 09-27-2005, 08:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Wow! I came back and checked and have had so many replies to my original post! I'm very happy to read everyone's input! I wish there was a way to invidually reply to each of you, but I don't see how I can do that here at this forum. I suppose I have to just try and address all the post questions in one reply.

As for the 3rd step of the 12 steps, I don't have them memorized and I'd have to actually see these steps in order to tell you where I thought I might fall in the hierarchy. I did speak with a counselor last Friday from Narcanon Sacramento by phone and I think we both shared the same view, that getting sober doesn't have to include 12 steps. But, if you showed me the steps, I'm sure I could identify with them somewhere.

To the nurse, thank you also for the link you sent. It's good to have people here who know what I'm talking about and can point me to references that I specifically need..unlike asking my husband or a friend.

To BubbaBob, I was hoping my liver numbers didn't reveal that I was a big drinker, at least not falling down drunk, but I did drink wine every day, sometimes 1-1/2 bottles to myself. I could drink more, but I always was sick the next day. I missed two days of work last week because of it and I'm in no position financially to be missing work. I won't know until I see the doctor on Friday if he thinks those numbers are out of this world. I certainly hope not and even if he recommended a liver biopsy, I'm not biting...not at least until I've had another level drawn in a couple of months after being sober.

I do have to say, I was pleased tonight to go into the store and buy my husband his can of beer (he drinks one in the bath every night) and I had absolutely NO desire for any myself. I refuse to drink anymore. Once the knowledge of something has been placed in front of you, such as my elevated LFT's, then you can't ignore it anymore. Drinking alcohol to me now is tantamount to suicide, and I am absolutely not ready to go yet!

Mandybabes and hotwingeater, thanks for the advice on the Milk Thistle. Sounds absolutely disgusting but if there's anything to it, I'm all for it. I'll ask about it on Friday.

And CarolD, I'm going to go and read the link you sent me now on withdrawal symptoms. Thank you!

And thanks to everybody else for the warm, warm welcome! :shysmile:

All in all, I can say I'm 100% sure I won't wake up with a hangover tomorrow! I'm very proud to say tomorrow is the third day of the rest of my life!

Thanks again guys....talk with you soon.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD
Gee why do you find it necessary to be rude to Jeery?
And your medical knowledge comes from where?

Tsk Tsk early....
How is not understanding or disagreeing being rude? Im not allowed to disagree??
Old 06-25-2007, 10:32 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Drinking and withdrawl

I have to back up Jerry on his ability to quick drinking 3/4 a bottle of scotch a day and have no notable, severe, withdrawl symptoms. I, like New2Sobriety, can easily drink 2 bottles of wine a night and stop for days, or weeks, and only experience some insomnia for a night or two. Everybody is different. A heavy drinker does not necessarily mean an alcoholic and a light drinker, or seemingly social drinker, can be an alcoholic. I have learned this through attending AA/NA meetings for 7 years with an alocholic/drug addicted boyfriend years ago. Attending these meeting is probably why I was scared to touch alcohol until I was in my thirties. That and there is alot of alcoholism in my family.

Now, some will balk, but the truth is I have never actually craved a drink or needed one to stop shakes, a hangover, etc. For me, it was like a routine, to come home and drink wine like others drink soda. The longer I drank, the more I could drink. I never missed work because of drinking and have not been sick in over three or four years. However, for the first time my liver enzymes have been elevated, so I am alcohol free for at least the next few days before getting further tests. I do take prescription medication that also could be leading to this increase of enzymes, but one must be sure the combination of both medication and alcohol has not taxed my liver. That is how I came upon this site, looking up increased liver enzymes and alcohol.

I wish everybody the best of luck and let's face, it alcohol even in moderate quantites, is probably not good for the body. Not to mention, since the MADD revolution, DUIs are ruining the lives of even social drinkers (probably moreso than chronic alcoholics since a DUI does not generally stop an alcoholic), so another reason for everybody to refrain.

Just my thoughts.