Need advice- How to get my car back from a dry drunk...

Old 09-26-2005, 06:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Need advice- How to get my car back from a dry drunk...

I really need advice. I have a situation, that I created and I'm not sure how to get out of it. My soon to be exAH has been living on his own for the past 6 months. If you read my posts you might know that I am guilty of enabling him by helping him pay for a car that is in both of our names- he has the car. We both have company cars so this was a "toy" for us- an expensive SUV. Anyway, he has not paid for the car for the past 2 months. I kept sending my half as well as the car insurance.

Last week I told him I had it and he HAS to pay his share. He promised he would send half last Friday- never did- shocker! What really got me is that he used the car over the weekend to drive 1000 miles to see his family!! So when he called tonight to say goodnight to the kids I asked him about the car and he started yelling at me, cursing me out. He went off on me that I took everything from him, blah, blah, blah. I asked him about AA and he cursed me out. I know he is about to relapse- OK not my problem.

Anyway, he once again said- while calling me every name in the book- that he'll make a payment tomorrow and 1 next week to catch up. I told him I will take the car if he can't pay. He yelled at me, cursed me out and hung up on me.

So here's my question- what do I do about the car? How do I get it back if he doesn't pay for it? How do I do this while dealing with an angry dry drunk?
Old 09-26-2005, 07:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do u have a set of keys? If so go get it and park it at a friends. If you can sell it w/o him do it, you both have other cars to drive. If it's a lease at least you know it will be safe. Or perhaps you could turn in the company car for more money instead and drive it yourself - although it's probably a gas guzzler If his name being on it presents a problem unloading it perhaps you could take the matter up legally? Good luck!
Old 09-26-2005, 07:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thanks for the reply! I should also mention that the lease will be paid off as part of our divorce. I am buying him out of our home- he will get 1/2 the equity after our common debt has been paid off- the car is part of our common debt. The lease company doesn't care about divorce- they just want their money. I get that!

I do have keys to the car. I am just nervous about taking it. And in regards to the company cars- I have to take the car- they pay for everything- the car, insurance, gas, maintenance, tolls. Same goes for him. He only wants this car b/c he likes his "toys".
Old 09-26-2005, 08:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Does the title say 'and', or does it say 'or'.
If it says "or" you could sell it to someone, then buy back in your name only.
Do you have a lawyer, no doubt you do.
After saying that, I guess I would be careful, you might have to hide out forever.
Another thing if it says 'or' you could sign selling it to him. Then they could reposess from him.
Wait ,if it is leased , of course they wanted both names on it. You might have more money than he does.Maybe your credit better. They know what they are doing.

I would suggest that you never ever put your name on a car with anyone else, my Dad would never have anyone on title with him, he thought if he ever happened to cause an accident they could sue the other one on the title as well as him. I would check that out.
If I have MY name only on the title I can report it stolen if someone takes it without permission. Thats the good reason to have in your name only.
If you find answers, let us all know.
LV
Old 09-26-2005, 09:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

You may want to contact the loan company and see if they can offer you a solution.