How did you feel after your first therapy visit?

Old 09-22-2005, 12:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How did you feel after your first therapy visit?

I wonder if I felt "right" because honestly she was very nice and she mainly gathered info about me this session but she did leave me with an interesting thought I never heard before in that she said its possible the reason I want to rescue people is because as a child growing up I always wanted to be rescued but nobody did and thats true so I wonder how much my past make me the way I am today.

She was very nice, knows all about AA / Al-Anon / Codie etc... she told me to find a Codie group instead of AlAnon, I didnt know there existed such a group.

Also told me best not to go to LA but of course she was trying to say it nicely and not seem controlling hahaa

But honestly after I left, I didnt know how I felt but I think I felt embarassed and a little ashamed to have someone I just met hear a lot of my deep darkness... all my deepest weaknesses, my addictions, didnt leave with a refreshed good feeling or anything, if anything, feel like I have homework now since she told me I have to go to a meeting ... and left feeling like she must think I'm nutz...

How did you guys feel after first therapy? This normal?
Old 09-22-2005, 01:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Scared

because as you said...this stranger knew me!

CM....I guess we are not unique!

She is the one for you...stick with it.
When I was going...I
soon I found a huge sense of freedom
when all the secrets were exposed.

BTW...you new site is tremendous..
I am so proud to see yor talents! Thanks!
Old 09-22-2005, 01:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Yup your normal.

To reveal ourselves to a stranger and then feel totaly refreshed and trusting is probably not realistic. Give it time. You are buidling a relationship with this person,,,just remember, she has no ax to grind, has nothing to gain or lose byyour therapy, so she is a outside observer....who's profession and choice is to help you. So....let her!

Things Take Time......be yourself, show all of you, good or bad, be fearless! Just like going to a rave and dancing like a crazy man,,let it all hang out!
Old 09-22-2005, 01:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It reminded me of when I used to be dedicated to SF Church of Christ, a cult that uses guilt to control and keep you in the group, you confess all your sins, and I mean, ALLLLLLL to a group. I've heard the deepest wildest things you can imagine, and I have some to share myself as we all probably do, I remember feeling like **** after I confessed it and guilt ran through me and I always felt looked down upon. But in the church, thats how it worked, you confess your sins and they remind you of your weakness so you believe you cant make it without the church... same feeling, same confessions, same ****** feeling...

But I know she wont make me feel that way, just seems like I'm repeating myself though, see how it goes....
Old 09-22-2005, 01:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The difference is the 2 of you work on solutions,.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Code -

Honestly I can't remember my first therapy session cuz it was like 18 years ago when I was in high school..That said I'm sure I was scared..it gets better..

I've had numerous therapists (male and female), some good some better..If she does make you feel bad - she's not the therapist for you..

Good for you for going..

I also went to a CODA meeting once or twice..(this was like 8 years ago)..It didn't really help me..but maybe I wasn't ready..Of course now I'm in Alanon and it is also helping me with my codie issues as well..

-Minx
Old 09-22-2005, 01:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

See how it goes...
Old 09-22-2005, 02:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Code....you are probably feeling exactly what you need to at this moment....I remember the first time I spilled all to my therapist...(a man no less) ...I felt naked, stripped of everything and exhausted. The next time I went I felt a sense of relief..."someone knows my story and hasn't judged me." Give it time....
You are on the right track...
And yes what a cool website you have.....kudos my friend
Love, Patty
Old 09-22-2005, 02:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was knackered after my first counselling session. And continued to be like that every week. I knew I was getting better when I came out feeling buoyed up.

Good on you for going - give it at least a few more sessions before you make your mind up.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

code - it takes time - the more you feel comfortable with each other the easier it will be, promse! i'm just now rounding the bend with mine and i've ben going for over a year. not saying it will take you tha long. hang in there and give it time - you won't regret it!
Old 09-22-2005, 03:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

Hi Code,

What you feel is pretty much normal. A perfect stranger and you're spilling your guts. She's not going to point fingers and accuse you of anything. She's helping you to open up and help you see what's going on.

I felt confusion and hardly refreshed for several months. But each time I left, she taught me something. It may not have helped for what was occurring at that precise moment, but it did come into play at a later time and I had the proverbial "ah ha" moment. She came off as a friend and confidante' in time. Give her a good chance. She may become a great friend/mentor and advisor.

Just darn proud that you did it. You're awesome my friend.

Blessings
Old 09-22-2005, 04:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

I was lucky to find a fantastic addictions counsellor. I've been seeing her for months, and she is an important part of my recovery. My first visit was not the greatest, because I was a mess. I've been getting more out of the sessions now that we know each other better.

Robin
Old 09-22-2005, 06:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

Well, most of whats been said is the way that I feel. Just wanted to add thats awesome you went!!

Give yourself a huge pat on the back!! :bravo
Old 09-22-2005, 07:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Cool, I plan to keep going and see how it goes... she seems nice and knowledgeable, she never showed any signs of judgement or anything, my friend joked with me and said the things I tell her are probably nothing compared to other peoples issues with ohh say urge to rip off peoples heads or murder or whatever hahaa

Besides, good excuse to ride my motorcycle...