Notices

Friend or Foe

Old 09-22-2005, 10:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Friend or Foe

I have a guy friend that I met 8 months ago. I really care for him but he is an alcoholic. He has admitted to me that he has a problem. Lately he has been pushing me away and been very distant. We dont hang out like we used to and we dont talk as much. I know people tell me I'm crazy to get myself involved with a guy like him. Part of me just wants to let him be and do whatever he wants with his life and another part wants to help him. He drinks every night and goes out every night and manages to get to work at 9:00 a.m. everyday.

Is it normal for an alcoholic to push me away like this?

What can I do to help him?
Old 09-22-2005, 10:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Hi and welcome to SR.

What can you do to help him? Well you can be his friend that is my answer. You can't do anything to help him not drink if that is what he wants to do.

If you haven't already done so take a look at the Friends and Family forum here, it for friends and loved one of alcoholics. There you will meet people who know exactly what you are feeling.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Getting Restored To Sanity

Originally Posted by cynthia77
Is it normal for an alcoholic to push me away like this?
Indeed it is normal. It is not you, it is him in this case. One of an alcoholics best trait is isolation. We alkies may not like too, but end up living a recluse lifestyle, mostly out of shame of our addition, or to get all the people away that don't approve of our drinking style. We are selfish, egotistical, and love to be right about everything.

But, there is help for us. Working a program of recovery with total honesty and getting involved in the program gives us an awakening which will turn us into the person we were always ment to be.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Heather

Completely Agree

Livenletlive - that is exactly where I am - becoming the person that God had always intended me to be !! Glad to know that someone else shares those views too !!

I know that I completely isolated & alienated myself while I was completely in the grips of my disease !! I didn't want "supervision"- I'm a grown woman & I know what's best for me - HAHAHAHA - I laugh my a** off about that way of thinking today. . .Cause knowing what was best for me equaled to "giving everything that I had away". . . I don't say that I lost anything - I hear alot of that - and if I lost it - I hope one day that I'll find it again - for me though - I know that I GAVE IT AWAY !!!!!