Notices

today is the day

Old 09-21-2005, 10:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

today is the day

im new to all this stuff....dont really know how it all works yet..but anyway i decided to quit smoking pot....ive been doing it for 10 years now and im only 22...i havent had a sober day in months.....i just dont know how its going to go...all my friends smoke...do i have to get new friends?...i need some words of advise...whoever said pot is not addicting ******* lied....people say its only pot...well pot was my life...its like an immage i had to hold.....anyways i set today as the date...i put my only pipe in my sling shot and shot it into a feild.....got rid of pappers...ect...so today is day one...im going to take it one day at a time...if i can quit this i will be such a better person...i dont drink...i dont take pills...pot WAS the only thing i did...well give me some feedback....email is no1_14_88******.com....i need to hear from you folks...thankx for the good site and drug free place
Old 09-22-2005, 07:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Congrats on making the decision to quit. You have come to the right place for support. We are all here doing the same thing....staying sober one day at a time.

Stick around!
Old 09-22-2005, 07:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Heather

Tradition 3 -

Tradition 3 here at our 12 step programs - simply states - "The only requirement for membership - is the desire to stop using" - Thank god for that !!!!

I'd like to welcome you here - and tell you that you are in the right place !! I hope that beyond the internet that maybe you can get a network of friends within 12 step programs in your area !!!

For me - I couldn't do it alone - with just the internet - but if you can - THAT'S GREAT !! I don't criticize what others can do - that works for them to remain abstinent from drugs & alcohol !! If it's not broke - don't fix it !! So for me, I just had to look around & see what worked for me !! And today I have something that is working beautifully for me. . .And just as I posted in another thread a few minutes ago - I won't say to you "Keep comin' back" - Just stay here please !! The rewards that are recevied through recovery are priceless !! Get in touch with me anytime if you need to talk -

Angel_42069hk******.com
Old 09-22-2005, 09:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Support our Troops.

My comments below are exactly that, comments. I am a ex-addict that has no training whatsoever.

Originally Posted by some1
i decided to quit smoking pot....ive been doing it for 10 years now and im only 22
** I myself started at around your age. I was 11. It took me 37 years to realize that I had a problem. I am so glad it took you less time to find this out.**

i havent had a sober day in monthsi just dont know how its going to go...all my friends smoke...do i have to get new friends?
** I had smoked pot every day for 30+ years. It was real tough to quit. To make a tough thing to do tougher, my wife and I were quitting cigarettes too. We had quit them about a month previous to quitting pot. You may need to stay away from the other pot smokers, a least for a while. I found that most of the friends started to stay away from me when I quit. I guess I reminded them that they had a problem too, but were not ready to admit it. I also had three of my closest friend join me in my voyage quitting pot. We have all been successful.**

i need some words of advise...whoever said pot is not addicting ******* lied....people say its only pot...well pot was my life...its like an immage i had to hold.....
**That was pretty much my findings too. I have had problems with most any drug you can name, including an 8 year fling with Vicodin and Soma. I had more problems quitting pot than any other drug. After all its just pot!**

anyways i set today as the date...i put my only pipe in my sling shot and shot it into a feild.....got rid of pappers...ect...so today is day one...im going to take it one day at a time...if i can quit this i will be such a better person...i dont drink...i dont take pills...pot WAS the only thing i did...well give me some feedback....
**What you have already done is what I did to get started. Getting rid of all the smoking supplies, pot, and staying away from it, was the most important thing for us. Find something to take up your spare time. Doing something not just watching TV and hanging out.

I don’t think I would say you will be a better person after you quit. I would say you are already a good person for admitting you have a problem and seeking help. SR is a great source of support. Take what you need to hear and leave what you don’t! Feel free to PM me if you would like.

There are many support groups to join if you like. Church based groups, non church based groups, online groups, take your pick. My wife, friends, and myself chose to use our strong self wills to do it. We have been clean since April 30, 2005.

Please remember this is not how it works for everyone who wants to quit, but it has worked for us.**
Old 09-22-2005, 09:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Unfortunately (or fortunately) you probably will have to at least distance yourself from the people you smoke pot with. If your environment revolves around a daily routine of smoking.....you need to break that routine and start a healthier one. I know when I changed social groups, my daily routine changed, and it made it much easier to change my relationship with what I used (alcohol) because I wasn't constantly around it.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
blah blah blahhhhh

Welcome glad you are here
I tried to quit drugs, too many times to count. Once the initial withdrawls were gone, I called everybody to hang out. I figured I could roll joints, chop lines, and just hang out without using. Needless to say, that didn't work! When I finally decided to try something different, I completely change all my playmates and playgrounds. What happened was I made new friends, who were all clean, and by the way, they are the best people I have ever met! I am still young too, 26 , so I felt a big void. I thought I had some type allegiance to my neighborhood. I had to be there! But I know that if I want to stay clean I can NEVER surround myself with people who are actively using anything!

Hang in there
Old 09-22-2005, 01:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR

nogard
Old 09-22-2005, 02:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

damn!!

thankx for all the feedback you guys are going to make this easier for me....i dont feel alone anymore....i used for all of my teen years so all the freinds i have now smoke...i just need some folks that are cool and dont smoke to chat with...well thankx again talk to you all soon kyle
Old 09-22-2005, 04:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ben's Papa

You found a good place here,some1.I know that these forums at SR have been a great blessing to me.I too was high every day,all day,for thirty some years.I sure missed out on a lot that life had to offer me because of that.I finally stopped a little over a year ago after thinking for years that I never could.It aint easy but it sure is worth it.I'm 48 now and I feel like I'm just starting to live my life.Pot may not be a so called "hard" drug,but it can rob you of your life in many other ways.Good luck and hang in there.I'll be praying for you.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I smoked a lot of pot in high school and you sound just like me back then. I smoked almost every day from age 16 to about 24 and then started drinking (with a lot of other drugs mixed in there over the years) until early this year.

Don't waste all the time I did (I'm 43 now).

You are so lucky to have come to this crossroads at your age. It sounds like you are ready to take a different direction.

Good to have you here!

Jup.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the rest of your life and welcome to SR! This is a great place for support. Keep reaching out.............
Old 09-23-2005, 01:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Chy

Welcome!

Your most certainly not alone. I wish you well on your journey and we'll be here to offer support along the way.