Notices

just posing a question

Old 09-20-2005, 11:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

just posing a question

Did anyone else ever make tons of goals and develop theories of being successful while they were drunk/high?

I did so many times and I never succeeded at one of them. I didn't know if I was the only one who used to develop elaborate plans for my future while under the influence.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Gobble, Gobble

Dh does

hehe, My dh is a 'drunken philosipher' or how ever you spell that word. You get the idea LOL He likes to make up all kinds of theories and plans. Me, I just am a B#$%$ when I drink really. I rarely was a happy drunk.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Heather

Not Unique

I did the same thing !! EVERYDAY !! I would think - okay so I'm going to start school, work this job - 3rd shift, I'm going to wein myself off of opiates. . .take care of my daughter . . . etc. . .I would make plans that were so simplistic and the only thing that I ever succeeded in doing was hustling money, coping dop, & getting high. . .I think the only thing that I ever followed through more less then more though - was cleaning my house & organizing my stuff. . .while in the meantime of that - I'd get pre-occupied in my head about elaborate plans for the future & sit & write out this potential plan of action - but it never had any kind of follow up - today though - I can honestly say that - I have a job that GOD made possible for me - cause it doesn't conflict with my schedule at all - I have my daughter back in my custoday, after a horrible custoday battle, and I start school next semester !! I have my daughter in school & dance class - I'm on a bowling league. . .I am the secretary of my area NA Hospitals & Instituations subcomittee - I'm the secretary for my homegroup - & I live up to my comittments - for the most part today !!! I don't just blaently blow off comittments today !! If something that is crucial comes up or if something just happens out of my control then I am honest in those affairs as to why I was unable to live up to my part of that comittment !! Okay well I'm plummeting into - blah, blah, blah, & getting really off track !! so in essence, I can totally relate -
Old 09-20-2005, 12:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by got_2loveme
I I'd get pre-occupied in my head about elaborate plans for the future & sit & write out this potential plan of action - but it never had any kind of follow up - today though - I can honestly say that - I have a job that GOD made possible for me
I used to sit and write out plans of action too.
Thanks for sharing your story of how you found a better life for yourself.
You offer a lot of hope.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was really good about making plans or goaals for my future. Never happened though. I would think of something everyday and the next I would change my mind. all I cared for was how to get my next drink. Today I have plans for my futere finally got a job and working on a invention which I thaught of years ago.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Angelhugs~ that was one of the main reasons I stopped and am trying to become sober. I am 20 years old and I could see myself using in 20 years, and I didn't want that to be what my life had become. I would make so many goals and had so many different ideas of what i wanted to do ALL at once and really i was doing nothing but using. I was in college and wanting to do so many things meanwhile i was skippping classes barely making grades. In order to accomplish some of those things I HAD to stop, i had to live..i have to live...and i learn everyday that life isn't always either a uge party or a terrible horrible accident, it just is. And it can def. be boring sometimes, unless i choose to think positive. I dont overexagerate but i def. try to look at what keeps me happy and what else i can do to be happy and be sober. Hope that helps..i was also using because i didnt want to actually start doing those things..ironic huh..i "thought" it was too much or i didnt have enough time...but that was the drug talking
Old 09-20-2005, 01:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Peace begins with a smile

Yup..

Sitting on the bar stool, I would come up with great idea to make my life better.... new jobs, that hot guy over there, a trip to Italy, buy a condo, get a dog....you name it...

Point is... I finally learned I've got to be okay with me first. Then I can actually decide what I would enjoy doing, make a plan, talk to my sponsor and then take baby steps towards it...

Most importantly, I do what I say I'm going to do now. So I don't talk alot of bull that I can't back up with action.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Heather

Looks like we can all relate

No matter how we did it, where we did it, when we did it, - none of that seems to make a difference - Point is (for me) - we all did it !! And I really like what Requiredfield (I hope thats right) said - She had to become okay with herself 1st - I think that if my God wouldn't have been "carrying" mie during the years that I was in active addiction and I would have even made a feeble attempt to pursue any of the potential plans of action that seemed so appropriate at the time - theres a very good chance that I wouldn't be where I'm at today ! And I am totally okay with where I am - and better then that for the 1st time in my life without the use of drugs or alcohol - I'm excited about where I am going - and it's not that false excitment - like I'm going to the dope house or the bar !!
Old 09-20-2005, 05:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It is so great that we can make plans now and then follow through. It is so wonderful that we can make a better life for ourself without using substances.

This is truly one of those beautiful things in life.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by AngelHugs
Did anyone else ever make tons of goals and develop theories of being successful while they were drunk/high?
All the time.
The problem was these goals and theories never took into account that I wasn't going to be able to get off the couch in another hour or so without falling down on my face.
Oh, and all the specific goals I was setting for the next morning, like changing the world or writing the next Great Song, they pretty much went down the toilet
Old 09-20-2005, 09:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
All the time.
The problem was these goals and theories never took into account that I wasn't going to be able to get off the couch in another hour or so without falling down on my face.
Isn't that the truth?
Old 09-20-2005, 09:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Gobble, Gobble

HEHE!! You're so funny!! So right but the way you word it is hilarious!

"all the specific goals I was setting for the next morning, like changing the world or writing the next Great Song, they pretty much went down the toilet"

The pun was intended right??

Have a good one!
Old 09-20-2005, 11:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I can always tell when I've had too much to drink because I start thinking through ideas which a sober mind would disregard. I used to think I was "thinking outside the box", and working through problems of life. The next day, I was often glad I had my cellphone off, and my email closed during my binge drinking session. Many of those ideas were stupid.....but about 10% proved worth looking into when sober. Nothing beats a clear mind for decision making.
chip
Old 09-20-2005, 11:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

All the time and I sure am glad I didn't follow through on MANY of them.

Some...maybe most... would still have me in jail or dead.

While drinking, bullets flying by your head is not the same feeling or understanding you have when you sober up and remember the night before...YIKES!
Old 09-21-2005, 12:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Support our Troops.

Sure, I made big plans for 37 years while smoking pot, and never acted on them. These days I am starting to follow them through. It feels really good.

My wife has started a new job and is now making more money than she ever has. She now wears the biggest, brightest smile on her face. That feels even better.