Liver Damage

Old 09-15-2005, 12:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Liver Damage

Hello:

Have not posted on here in a while. My Ex AH is an alcoholic and a substance abuser. He is in the hospital right now with a liver that is 80% damaged. The doctor told him if he keeps drinking he will die in 3 months. He was hospitalized last year with pancreatitis and the doctor told him then if he drank he would kill himself and he still did. Just looking to see if anyone had experience with dealing with this and did they finally see the light and try to stop! I am praying for a miracle. Thanks.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Im so sorry. I will pray for a miracle for you also.. Good luck!
Old 09-15-2005, 02:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I wish I had some wonderful story to tell you. Maybe you could look on the AA part of this forum? I had a cousin who went through this. I don't know the details but that she suffered from seizures or something, swelled up and so forth and he went through a period of recovery then it happened again. And the third time she died. She was about 45. My point is that besides prayer you can only do what all the books and al-anon tell you to do. Which from my understanding is let them hit bottom. Detach etc.

I wonder if it might help to ask him to pray with you? Not sure what others think. I am not that religous but I can remember many times praying for someone who had no idea how worried I was for them. Perhaps holding his hand while he's in a hospital bed an asking to him say an outloud prayer with you.

"Completely surrender your loved one into the hands of God" — Norman Vincent Peale. "The Power of Positive Thinking" (Chapter 11-how to use faith in healing)
Old 09-15-2005, 02:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

It is heartbreaking when a loved one destroys themself with drugs and alcohol. The only thing you have control over is you. You can take care of yourself, which wil give you the strength to get through this.

Robin
Old 09-15-2005, 04:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

Hi Tiger!! Welcome back. I am sorry that you and your husband are going through this. My uncle had liver damage and recieved a liver transplant this past spring. He suffered with alcoholism all his life. He had symptoms years before his surgery. Not sure where you are at but I would check online about Rochester. N.Y.area hosiptal. They gave my uncle a compromissed liver and he has done really well. They have to show a real seriousness to stay sober. It is a really tough road with this condition. Your welcome to PM me anytime with questions or here if your comfortable. You are both in my prayers tonight. Kerry
Old 09-15-2005, 04:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Im back again I checked with my uncle the place is called Strongshealth.com. I hope the info is of help
Old 09-15-2005, 04:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

stronghealth.com sorry I'm tired.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

my husband has 70% damage and has stopped drinking for two years and the doctors say he'll need a new liver in 5 years even though hes stopped drinking hes just done to much damage
Old 09-15-2005, 07:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was just curious and wanted to ask someone with first hand experience. My mom is a recovering alcoholic. She has been sober now for almost a month. She went sober for 1 1/2 years and then recently had a relapse for about 6 months or so. Anyways, since she has quit in the past week and a half or so she has really went down hill fast. She started with complaining of severe leg cramps and then difficulty walking. It then progressed into jaundice and stomach pains. I got to her house this Tuesday to take her to the dr and almost overnight her abdimon had swolen pretty large. The dr set her up for a procedure where they drain the fluid and she had that done yesterday. It was a really tuff day for her but she got relief from the stomach pains but now I was there tonight and she is barely moving, very weak, no appetite and a little disoriented. I called the nurse and she said it could be that she is just very weak from everything that has happened this week to her but I am really scared. I have read so many different things about this I am so confused. I guess I am just curious if you have expierenced these same problems w/ your husband and if so does it get better with time? I know have rambled on and on but this is all so new to me and I am so confused and scared. I have also checked into maybe being a living donor for her but I don't know if that works w/ cirrhosis patients or not. I hope we aren't at that stage yet. This is the first time she has had any signs at all of any liver problems and she has only been drinking heavy for less than 8 years total but I guess sometimes the amount of time drinking doesen't matter. Thanks for taking the time to help me!
Old 09-16-2005, 03:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

lisa1211

sorry about that.

the liver can be very good at recovering and no 2 people are alike. alcoholic hepatitis can make you yellow.

the only way to know the extent of the problem is by asking the docs how her liver function is.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the responses and prayers. I went and visited my ex AH last night and he looks awful! He is super skinny, his skin is yellow and his eyes are yellow. He said he doesn't want to die yet he won't go to rehab. Says he'll do outpatient which he can't do cuz I already tried that with him last year.

Lisa1211 - I haven't had much experience with liver damage. I know that he has to prove to be sober for at least six months before they will put him on the list for a new liver. My ex AH's stomach filled with fluid and they had to drain him also and that was caused from the liver starting to fail. I wish you luck and I hope your mom can get better. I can't imagine it being my mother. It's hard enough as it is. Keep praying!
Old 09-16-2005, 10:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This is my first post. So bear with me. My beautiful mother died of liver damage three years ago. She was married to my father (an alcoholic). for 32 years. After all the pain of dealing with his illness for all those years he left her for a woman 15 years younger and also an alcoholic. My mother never drank. Yet she died like an alcoholic. I do not know why God gave her this fate. I can only hope her death effected my father (i know it has). My husband also an alcoholic watched her die. I thought this would be a break through for him. It was not. My husbands blood work showed a liver count of 4 times over the normal limit. He had a biobsy done and it showed a fatty liver. Of course my husband told the Dr. he only drank one or two drinks a night. OOPs he missed informed the dr. MY husbands drinks are 32 oz ! He is now drinking abount 1 liter of vodka every three to four days. Liver diease is a very ugly way to die and very scarey to hemorage and to bleed everywere. If only that would scare our alcoholics.