Notices

New here, and an early thanks!

Old 09-15-2005, 07:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here, and an early thanks!

Just wanted to introduce myself. I, after hitting bottom, now realize that I have been a problem drinker for the last 20 years and a dangerous alcoholic for the past few years. I have thought about quitting or cutting back for awhile now, knew I needed to, but have not done it. I have finally made the decision and am going scared into this new world. I have all of the normal fears.....what will life be like without alcohol? Do I have the power to really do this? What will I do now on the weekends and afternoons? Etc, etc, etc......

I am now just in day 3 without a drink, and so far so good. I found this site the morning that I made my decision to quit, and the info has been very helpful to say the least. For that, and the support that I know I will need in the future, thanks to you all. Mike
Old 09-15-2005, 07:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Meetings Coordinator

congrats!!! seems like your off to a great start! check out the Alcoholism forums they can be really helpful with those fears your talking about! and you should really check out an AA meeting, I know it worked for me!!!
Old 09-15-2005, 08:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good for

you Mike....

If you have any questions..ask away.
We are here to help you and we all understand.

Glad to see a newcomer!
Old 09-15-2005, 08:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not crazy, just a lil unwell

Welcome Mike. Glad to see you here.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Midas

Welcome Aboard, Mike! Sounds like a good, strong start like HPierce says. That nagging ''OMG. I have to give it up??'' thought stumped me for the first couple weeks. I had a few white-knuckling, 24-hour chip biting, urge-wrestling moments. Well, I doubted I would last the first two days! Persistence pays off in huge dividends.

On a funny note, a few veteran members took me to brunch on my 3rd day. During the discussion at the table, one of them looked me dead in the eye and said, ''You don't have to drink any more.''

I must've had the most dumbfounded look on my face too. I glanced around over my shoulder thinking he was talking to somebody else. When I figured it out, he repeated what he said. That last bite of hash-browns was refusing to go down, ''I...I...I don't?'' *GULP!*

He laughed. ''Nope. You don't.''

I almost felt ill. But that feeling was more likely from the 8 or 10 Wicked Ales I had the night before.

So Anyways. Make yourself at home, Mike!

Old 09-15-2005, 08:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Originally Posted by Mike_C
what will life be like without alcohol? Do I have the power to really do this? What will I do now on the weekends and afternoons? Etc, etc, etc......

Mike
Hey welcome to SR Mike and you are going to find all sorts of support here at SR we are glad to have you here with us to share your journey., Life without alcohol you will find your own way it has been a roller coaster ride for me especailly the first few months. I don't know if anyone has the power by themselves you might want to grab a copy of the Alcoholic Annonymous Big Book and start reading the first 164 pages, and try to hit some meetings. Any way just wanted to say HI

Love Vic
Old 09-15-2005, 01:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Wlecome to SR Mike and congrats.

nogard
Old 09-15-2005, 03:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
One day at a time...

Welcome Mike, and congrats!
Old 09-15-2005, 04:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Jack

You can do it

Hi Mike and welcome to a new world. This web site is not all there is. For someone quitting you need AA, a home group, a sponsor and some kind of support group.
You're giving yourself the best gift possible. Get involved in AA. Check out their web site. Get yourself a Big Book and read it religously up to page 164. The stories and anecdotes after p 164 you;ll know as soon as you see them. You are going to succeed. You will become sober, not overnight but in time you'll beat this disease
God bless.

Last edited by jbm125; 09-15-2005 at 04:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-15-2005, 11:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Card Carrying Optimist

Welcome to SR Mike and congratulations on your decision. Living life in sobriety is a lovely experience and you are worth it!!

Love Pearl (an alcoholic in early sobriety)
Old 09-16-2005, 06:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Mike,

I did just what you are doing last February. I too, drank for a long time (more than 15 years). I too had enough, found this site, and just started to post here. People here encouraged me to go to my first AA meeting and I did. Life has not been the same and I am still sober for over seven months. Been through all kinds of bad things since, been through some great things, but have stayed sober. No not matter what it is better than where I was. If I can do it, anyone can.

Great to have you here!

Jup.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome, Mike!!