Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Long term effects of excessive drinking/What should I expect/Is it too late?

Old 09-12-2005, 08:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My mom is an alcoholic and I am very concerned. She has been drinking now for a little over eight years heavily. She was told two years ago to quit or there would be extreme consequenses and I thought she had, however recently she went back to the doctor for a re-check and I learned she had been drinking again. She was now drinking wine instead of liquor assuming that would be better. She has been sober now for 3 1/2 weeks and I know it is because she is very scared of what she has done to her body so far. Within two weeks of her sobriety she started to develop what the doctor calls neuropthy (excuse my spelling). It is a condition that effects the nervous system and in my mom's case has caused her legs to ache terribly. She has also expierienced problems walking and had tingling sensations in her feet. This started about 2 weeks ago. I visited her yesterday and now her legs are feeling better, however her stomach is now cramping constantly, still difficult to walk & to top it all off she is now developing jaundice pretty bad. We are going once again to the doctor tomorrow and hopefully I will have more news as to what to expect in the future. Anyone else had these problems after quitting drinking and if so does it improve if you stay sober or should I start preparing for harder days ahead? Any input is very appreciated and I hope everyone who is having problems with this terrible disease finds help and relief.
<!-- / message -->
Old 09-13-2005, 03:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, I'll say a little prayer for you and your mother. I hope the doctor takes a good look at her liver. Everyone's different! Some folks are effected sooner and more severe than others. Some like myself, don't have any physical effects at all. I'm fortunate though. Go with your mom and ask questions, a lot of questions. She may be afraid to ask, so you take the step. She needs to know though that if she gets to feeling a little better and starts drinking again, she may not have another chance.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

Hello,
The alcoholic in my life has been drinking excessively for 10-12 years. There are alot of physical ailments that linger after sobriety. The amount of people they affect and the extent to which the body is damages varies on the person, their overall health, their nutrition, their age and other factors. I would recommed reading the book, Under the Influence, I cant recall the author right now, but there are many chapters about the long term effects to the body and mind even after years of sobriety! Its been a wealth of knowledge for me!

Good luck!
Old 09-13-2005, 07:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for you responces. We went to the doctor today ad it wasn't good news. She has now started to retain fluid in her abdimon pretty badly and they are going to drain it tomorrow and do a ultrasound of the liver to see how bad it is. Her jaundice looks really bad and I am very scared. It seems like this has all hit her so suddenly, I just wish I could her someone else say that they have been where she is now and they still pulled through. I guess all I can do now is pray and have faith that everything will be ok. I will keep everyone informed.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Hi Lisa:

I wish I had some answers for you, but I don't. All I can say is I know how difficult it is to watch someone you love struggling so and my heart goes out for you. Perhaps you could some research on chirrosis of the liver so you'll know what to expect.

Please keep us posted on your mom's condition. Sending hugs and prayers your way.

((((Lisa))))

((((Lisa's mom))))
Old 09-13-2005, 08:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Praying for your mother Lisa... and for strength for you....
Old 09-13-2005, 08:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Lisa,
My ABF also has experienced neuropathy in his feet and legs. It had gotten so bad he could hardly walk. He lost his appetite, 3 bites of something and he was full and all the time gaining weight. His liver was shot. he wasn't sleeping very much at night, dozing ( or passing out in the chair during the day.)

When he went into rehab almost 9 months ago, they almost didn't accept him because he was so physically sick. In fact they had to rush him to the hospital because his blood levels were so low. They thought he might have leukemia and gave him 6 units of blood. and did a bone biopsy, which came back clean.

The good news is after being sober for almost 9 months, his liver functions are in the normal range, his blood levels are fine, he still experiences some tingling in the feet but he's walking daily and hoping to play golf again soon.

His appetite is back (I didn't realize that was one of the side effects of alcoholism and thought it was because he decided he didn't like my cooking), and we are back having fun cooking gourmet meals together.

He knows he can never drink again and as he just recently told me 'Why should I, when I feel so much better?"

So things can get better, but it is up to your mother.
Hang in there. I know it's difficult.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Lisa,
I haven't experienced any physical problems due to drinking(that I know of)but I have known people who were seemingly a wreck, and when they stopped drinking, bounced back. Our bodys are great pieces or work. We can rebound from a lot of things if we give ourselves half a chance. The question is, has your mother gone to far? I've heard people say that "oh well, if I drink again, it's just a step toward getting sober and I can learn something from it." May be true, but that drink can also kill me. I'm not guaranteed another chance to sober up and alcohol ruins a lot of things. Friendships, marriages, jobs, bank accounts. It'll even take the finish right off our best furniture. We never know at what point our bodys have just had enough. Could be if your mom stops drinking now, she'll be ok. Maybe not. Who knows until she stops?
Old 09-14-2005, 03:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hello Lisa...

there is hope for a future for your Mom... abstinence is the key,

Here is info on the brain and alcoholism...

http://www.alcohol-drug.com/neuropsych.htm

Good Luck and blessings...
Old 09-14-2005, 07:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for all the support and insights. I went today with my mom to the hospital to have fluid drainded from her abdimon. They took off 2 liters which I thought was excessive, however the nurses said that was actually a small amount compared to most cases. She now has alot of relief with the pain in her stomach but the jaundice is continuing. I am so scared of what is going to happen to her. Her spirits are still high and I know that will help. I just wish I could here someone say "I've been there done that and it will improve" but I am so afraid it is too late. I have now started checking into liver transplants as well as myself being a living donor for her. I am so confused and scared and am looking for hope anywhere I can find it. Maybe tomorrow will be a better day for her. Has anyone out there ever had the fluid build-up in the abdimon and if so is that usually a sign of severe cirrhosis? Thanks again for the advice and kind thoughts.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Lisa:

I'm not a doctor, but I found this by doing a Google search on "Chirrhosis of the liver" + abdominal fluid:

Cirrhosis is the destruction of normal liver tissue which is replaced with nonfunctioning scar tissue surrounding areas of functioning liver tissue and nodules of pathologic regeneration. The scar tissue and regenerative nodules compress portal tracts and cause portal hypertension with dilatation of varicose veins at the lower part of the esophagus, enlargement of the spleen and fluid accumulation in the abdomen (ascites).

So the fluid retention is probably due to Chirrhosis of the liver, but I have no idea how serious it may be or whether it can be used to determine the stage of her disease. Ask your mother to give her doctor permission to discuss her condition with you. Otherwise, the new privacy laws may prevent him from discussing her health with you.

Sending prayers your way.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

More info on Chirrhosis plus a list of symptoms:

Cirrhosis is the result of chronic liver disease that causes scarring of the liver (fibrosis - nodular regeneration) and liver dysfunction. This often has many complications, including accumulation of fluid in the abdomen (ascites), bleeding disorders (coagulopathy), increased pressure in the blood vessels (portal hypertension), and confusion or a change in the level of consciousness (hepatic encephalopathy).

Cirrhosis is caused by chronic liver disease. Common causes of chronic liver disease in the US include hepatitis C infection and long-term alcohol abuse. (See Alcoholic liver disease.) Hepatitis C is now the most common reason for liver transplantation in the US. Other causes of cirrhosis include hepatitis B, medications, autoimmune inflammation of the liver, disorders of the drainage system of the liver (the biliary system), and metabolic disorders of iron and copper (hemochromatosis and Wilson's disease).

Symptoms include:

Ascites
Swelling of the legs
Vomiting blood
Confusion
Jaundice
Small, red spider-like blood vessels on the skin
Weakness
Weight loss
Nausea and vomiting
Impotence and loss of interest in sex
Bleeding hemorrhoids

Additional symptoms that may be associated with this disease:

Urine output, decreased
Swelling, overall
Stools, pale or clay colored
Nosebleed or bleeding gums
Gynecomastia (breast development in males)
Abdominal pain
Abdominal indigestion
Fevers
Symptoms may develop gradually, or there may be no symptoms.