Seeking information for my alcoholic Mom

Old 09-12-2005, 08:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Seeking information for my alcoholic Mom

My mom has been a relatively light drinker for 40 years, but still a drinker. She's 80 now. But in the last few years it's getting worse. She of course doesn't acknowledge a problem and doesn't want to quit. I need to get information about what's available to help her. Is there a website that has information about the options available? The problem is, everyone you talk to has an axe to grind. You talk to an intervention person, and they say intervention is the way to go. You talk to AA and they say AA is the only way to go. It's like asking a bankruptcy attorney if you should declare bankruptcy, how can you get a straight story?

Some of my questions:

1. Does an intervention actually work?

2. Does it require that we virtually make her a prisoner until she agrees?

3. What is the rate of relapse after an intervention?

4. Are there other more gentle forms of therapy available?

5. How do you deal with someone of her age and health (she has osteoporosis)?

The idea of spending $30,000 and making her hate everyone in the family, then having her start drinking again after 2 weeks seems dumb.

Any guidance would be *much* appreciated.

Donald<nobr></nobr>
Old 09-12-2005, 08:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ugh!

Donald,

I'm sorry that you are having to deal with this. I honestly know nothing about intervention but what I've read, which is it is only a good thing to do with a professional.

I do know a lot about elderly parents, my father goes in for heart surgery very soon and is 77 and has suffered a massive stroke. My mother basically has a negative bone density and can crack her back just by lifting something very light. She's done that seven times that I know of, has had a hip replaced, a titanium plate in her neck to keep her spinal column from falling, had four brain surgeries, and three surgerys on corated (sp?) arteries in her neck. She's in chronic pain as you can imagine and I'm sure your mother is as well. Have you talked about pain management with her, is the drinking her self-medicating? I am not a health professional but it would be something that I would be asking even if I understand that alchoholism is something that is progressive.
It is so hard having parents in this age group. I'm just grateful for everyday I still have my parents alive and here with me. I am sure that you have doctors that work with your mother and they probably have a wealth of information you can tap into. My parents doctors are always very happy to talk to me to fill me in on things.

Big Hugs,
~FaithChaser
Old 09-12-2005, 10:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

'Faithchaser' I appreciate the long reply. This isn't a pain issue. She did have some severe pain a few years ago, but that's been controlled with meds. 3 doctors have talked to her about the drinking problem, and told her flat out, "stop drinking". I've talked with them and it's always 'AA'. But she's in denial. I'm not getting much information about how to proceed. I specifically want to understand about interventions, what the success ratio is after 6 months, etc. I don't know what's out there. I'm looking for a starting point.

Thanks again for responding.

Donald
Old 09-12-2005, 11:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Donald,

Here's a link for you to check out this website on Interventions

There are also helpful books referred to on that site.

Keep posting and reading other's posts on here, too.