Notices

First Post

Old 09-05-2005, 12:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Winginit

First Post

Hello all,
I'm new to this site. First one I wanted to join. I've been through the usual story: progressive dysfunction, unmanageability, loss of relationships, jobs, trouble with the law, until it couldn't get any worse and there was no way out, nowhere else to run. 5 months of rehabs and relapses until I finally got it.
Coming up on a year now! I see that 24% relapse after 1 year. I hope that doesn't happen to me. How could it? Did someone hold that 24% down and force them to drink alcohol?
AA's been really good, but never landed a sponsor. I'm not good at returning calls from my family, never mind a stranger. I don't like meetings where you get picked and forced up to the podium. I do believe in a Higher Power. After my experience, that part is a no-brainer. Grateful for that beyond words.
Sober life is happy & peaceful. It's amazing that the things we thought were hopeless or ruined, aren't!
Some troubles during my first year: weight gain!, started smoking in rehab, procrastination, need to start going to meetings again, worry about damage to my body from alcohol, although I feel fine. My sig other (who is sober naturally) says I'm still not back to normal, referring to how I was before my alcohol dependency when I was drinking occasionally-frequently, mostly social.
All in all, very grateful!
Old 09-05-2005, 12:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!

So glad you joined us.

If you truly want to work for sobriety...the success ratwe is 100%
I see AA recovery miracles daily!

Blessings...
Old 09-05-2005, 12:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

Welcome. I'm glad you decided to join us. This is a great place with terrific people.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Welcome to SR and you will find here that these people truely do care, even the ones that make you mad are probably the ones that I learn from the most. I hope that you stay and keep posting, I am glad that you are here and I was one of those 24% that relapsed exactly one month from two years, I don't know still today If I will make it but today I can with help from all of you.

Love Vic
Old 09-05-2005, 01:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Winginit

Thanks for your replies and welcomes. I'm glad I joined!
I know from past relapses and from all I've learned that if I have that 1st drink it sets off a physiological reaction in me that will switch my brain into not caring about ANYTHING except getting my next drink. This is absolutly the fact of alcoholics. So if I don't take that 1st drink I'll be okay. Still, the thought of relapse is so scary and I know it could easily somehow happen to me again. I've learned each time is worse than the last, so I doubt I'd survive it.
But back to today--happy, healthy, sober and I've found a great group here!!
Old 09-05-2005, 02:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Winginit,

I went out after about a year a and a half over 15 years ago. Came back and now have over 6 months. I don't recommend doing any more research. It can take a long time if ever to come back. SR is a great tool in recovery. Lots of good people here.

Great to have you here!

Jup.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hi Winginit and welcome to SR.

nogard
Old 09-05-2005, 04:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Welcome to the site

Not going to give you any advice unless you ask for it

Chris
Old 09-05-2005, 06:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Winginit

Advice welcome!
My advice to myself? Go to meetings, find a sponsor, lose weight, exercise, stop smoking, stop procrastinating and have a complete physical.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Winginit

Addendum:
Advice to myself: Get over SELF!!!
Thanks guys.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow, I have to admit to being a little freaked out by this. I will have 13 months on Thursday and this is my first time in the program. My group tells me the first year is a gift and the second year is work. My SO who has 16 years sober tells me that you see a lot of people pick up their one year chip and not nearly as many pick up their 2 year chip. And now I'm hearing people relapsing between years one and two. I stupidly thought that if I could make it a year without a drink that would be the hardest thing. Now I wonder. I do find myself more complacent, which I KNOW is not good. I average 4-5 meetings a week and I do online stuff like this board but I have a problem calling my sponsor. I do know if my *ss is falling off I can call her, my SO, any number of people from my home group programmed into my cell phone. But after working all day and then making a meeting afterwards I balk at the idea of getting into a long telephone conversation! I still have to meet with her to do step 12 officially although I've already done 12th step work. I just don't want to screw up and reading this touched on those fears. I needed to see it though. I've seen enough to know that every day sober is a gift, I need not worry about tomorrow only today and if I don't drink I won't get drunk!

I don't know about anybody else but if 24% of people relapse after a year, I'm going to fight like h*ll to be one of the 76% that don't!

Hugs,
Kellye D
Old 09-05-2005, 07:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Originally Posted by Winginit
Addendum:
Advice to myself: Get over SELF!!!
Thanks guys.
((((((((((Winginit))))))))))) I like you a lot already. Glad you found us. Hope you will make yourself at home!!!!!!

Hugs--
Old 09-05-2005, 07:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey Wingint,

Hear you on the complete physical part. Got mine scheduled for 10/3. You are on the right track my friend!

Jup.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Chy

Welcome to SR and congrats on your year!
Old 09-05-2005, 08:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Welcome! It is so good to see another friendly face here.

Now, I won't give any advice either, but it sounds to me like you are considering:go to meetings, find a sponsor, lose weight, exercise, stop smoking, stop procrastinating and have a complete physical.

If that was my list, I would consider adding "READ/POST ON SR" on it. Thats just me though *wink*
Old 09-06-2005, 08:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Winginit so glad you found us you will find lots of support here at SR , I look forward to you posting some more ..........love Lulu xxxxxxx
Old 09-06-2005, 06:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Midas

Welcome Aboard! From what I understand, 24% is a very forgiving and generous number. I don't know the exact details, but the last time I researched ''continued sobriety'', the success rate was lower than 5%.

I am sure of one thing: the odds are overwhelmingly against long-term sobriety. I've made it my conscious decision to defeat those odds no matter the cost.

Old 09-07-2005, 05:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

A sponsor is very important though. You just need to hire and fire until you find the right one. You'll know.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Winginit

I am so glad I found you guys! I drink down each reply which is better than, well, you know. Midas, I think that it's about 24% who make it to 1 year so I was scared by the fact that the relapse rates are as you said, even after the first year..

I didn't intend to start out on a relapse thing, but it must be on my mind with my 1 year coming up AND because of the other things I want to change in my life. In other words, I think it's my disease that stops me from taking my own advice about things.

But here I go with the "self" stuff again. Off to other's posts...