Notices

AA meetings-what to expect?

Old 08-29-2005, 08:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA meetings-what to expect?

Hi All

I am new to this board, just wanna say hi. I am going to my first AA meeting on Wed nite and would like to know what to expect...

Do the twelve steps go in order?

Thanks,

Slugger
Old 08-29-2005, 08:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

You can expect a huge welcome, you will be with people who are just like you (if you are an alcoholic) and who understand. You will also be amazed to find, as I was, that the people there are (those in active recovery that is) peaceful, full of serenity, in a word happy. REALY happy. They make you want what they have - purpose, sobriety, spirituality. It's an opportunity to not only get sober but also to grow spiritually, learn to be less selfish and self centred, and make new friends. There's so much compassion and love and understanding in those rooms it's hard to describe if you haven't had the privilege of experiencing it.

You might also hear God and Higher Power...don't be put off, it doesn't have to be a religious God if you don't want it to be - it's just really acknowledging that there is a power greater than ourselves - some use God the christian God, some use family members often ex-alcoholics who have gone before them, some use the wind, it's up to you.

Go with an open mind, it can change your life, and it does work if you work it.

Good luck - let us know!

Cathy31
x
Old 08-29-2005, 08:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dreamlike...Now

Hey Slugger!
Cathy said it well. My first meeting was a real eye-opener. I looked around and couldn't believe these people were alcoholics....they seemed to be at ease without drink....something I desperately wanted...just a little peace.
The steps do go in order. You take them with a sponsor, who is someone in AA who has completed the steps themselves.
Let us know how it goes!
Tanya
Old 08-29-2005, 11:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Chy

Hope this helps:http://www.bma-wellness.com/papers/F...A_Meeting.html
Old 08-29-2005, 12:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's hard to tell you what to expect. All I can say is go to as many meetings as possible in different locations until you find one or several that you are comfortable with. That goes for a sponsor as well. If it's anything over there like it is here on this side of the pond, everyone will pressure you to get a sponsor immediately. Unless you are in dire straights and are climbing the walls for a drink, wait until you find someone you are comfortable as well to ask to be your sponsor.

Do the 12 steps go in order? Depends who you ask. I took step 3 first being the good Catholic boy that I am. I turned my will my life over to the care of God when I was nothing more than a beaten down drunk. And it was through step 11 of praying for knowledge of his will that I was able to finally admit I was a drunk and powerless over alcohol (step 1). So as far as I'm concerned nothing is cast in stone as to the steps absolutely positively having to go in order.

Another example is step 9 where you make amends to people. I've debated in meetings that is never too early to make an amend to someone. That's just my philosophy. Others in AA might tell you (as they told me) if you make an amends now it will drive you to drink.

So as suggested, keep an open mind. Some experience it as some religious revival and I on the hand did not.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

That was really fascinating, thanks Irish Virus! I agree with much of what you say - especially about never too early to make amends, and being pressured to get a/any sponsor.

(intersting name you should post on ZIng's how'd you get your username thread...would love to hear how you got yours)
Cathy31
x
Old 08-29-2005, 01:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Hello Slugger--Most of what everyone has said about what to expect at an AA meeting is true. However, most of what YOU can expect depends on YOU. Go with an open-mind and an open-heart, and you will be absolutely amazed. Listen for the similarities between yourself and the others there. Go with willingness to take people's suggestions and to try anything (within reason) to stay sober. Don't worry....no one is going to ask you to jump off the Brooklyn Bridge!!! LOL. Most importantly, remember that every single person there went to their first AA meeting at some point, too!

Let us know how it goes!!

Hugs--
Old 08-29-2005, 02:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hi Slugger,

Welcome to SR. You have loads of good advice here, I would just like to add expect miracles (you are one of them)

nogard
Old 08-29-2005, 02:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Slugger, the best thing about it all is that anyone, myself included, fits in there. My meetings are not only the backbone of my sobriety, they are the one place where I have naturally established immediate and genuine friendships in my 39 years. You are blessed to be going.
W
Old 08-29-2005, 02:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Midas

Welcome Aboard, Slugger! Expect the unexpected. I was a complete wreck when I went to my first AA meeting. Half scared, half excited. Wholely mackerelled.

One of the old-timers saw that I was literally shaking in my boots, and he offered to get me a coffee. How could I refuse a free cup of Java?! That was very thoughtful, I thought. He sat down at the table opposite of me, looked me square in the eyes, "My name's Kenny. This your first meeting?"

I opened my mouth to say "yes", meanwhile I was shaking my head "no".

He frowned at me and said, "YOU'RE LATE!"

"Late?? Huh?" I glanced at my schedule book, "The meeting don't start for another 30 minutes!! How can I be late?"

Kenny leaned back in his chair, chuckling. "You should always apologize for being SO late to your first meeting."

It's like the proverbial flickered on inside my head. "Oh I see. I'm so sorry."

Ever since that time, I always apologize to the group for ''being SO late''.