Notices

Help: Urine testing for alcohol

Old 08-29-2005, 04:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Help: Urine testing for alcohol

Hi,
First time here and it looks like a great place for help. Long story short, I was diagnosed with breast cancer a year ago. Have had 2 mastectomy's and chemo. and became very depressed. So I started my glass of wine earlier than my usual 5pm...then it became 4pm, 3pm and then noon. It got to the point that I was having sips all day. When I went to get help, the social worker reported my case and now everything is falling in on me. I have a super husband and 5 children. I have never driven when I have had more than one drink but I'm sure I've been over the limit when they've been in my care at home. I now must have random urine tests to see if I have been drinking. This w/end I didn't even think about it...was at a BBQ and someone handed me a glass of red wine. I drank it without even thinking. Now I am so scared that they will call today. I am finding it hard to stop but I must....I can't ever take the chance that I could lose my children.
Has anyone had to be tested and if so, how long does alcohol stay in your urine after you have had a drink?
I would be grateful if anyone knows. Thank you. :shysmile:
Old 08-29-2005, 05:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Hello Irish--Welcome to SR! Glad you found us. I am an alcoholic and I had cancer about 10 years ago. Never had chemo as I was pregnant at the time, but I had a 14-pound tumor the size of a soccer ball removed from the right side of my liver. I am very lucky that I didn't have to have chemo. I understand that can really trigger bad depressions. I think it is normal to feel the need to self-medicate. Not healthy, by any means, but normal.

As far as the test goes, I am not sure how long alcohol stays in your system. I think it really depends on how much you drank. If you only had one glass of wine and it was yesterday afternoon, my guess would be that you will be okay today. But I don't know.

What are you doing for yourself to help you stop? I go to AA and have found it to be an absolute life-saver. If the threat of having your kids taken away wasn't enough to make you stop and think before you took that drink yesterday, you might want to consider getting some outside help. After my liver cancer the doctors told me I should never drink again or I could die. I was drinking again within 6 months. Pretty damn sick.

Hang in there.

Hugs--
Old 08-30-2005, 04:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Irish5
Hi,
First time here and it looks like a great place for help. Long story short, I was diagnosed with breast cancer a year ago. Have had 2 mastectomy's and chemo. and became very depressed. So I started my glass of wine earlier than my usual 5pm...then it became 4pm, 3pm and then noon. It got to the point that I was having sips all day. When I went to get help, the social worker reported my case and now everything is falling in on me. I have a super husband and 5 children. I have never driven when I have had more than one drink but I'm sure I've been over the limit when they've been in my care at home. I now must have random urine tests to see if I have been drinking. This w/end I didn't even think about it...was at a BBQ and someone handed me a glass of red wine. I drank it without even thinking. Now I am so scared that they will call today. I am finding it hard to stop but I must....I can't ever take the chance that I could lose my children.
Has anyone had to be tested and if so, how long does alcohol stay in your urine after you have had a drink?
I would be grateful if anyone knows. Thank you. :shysmile:
In one study, ethyl glucurinide was detected at 60 hours post alcohol intake.
http://www.masalink.org/uploadedFile...ER.2003.03.pdf

The ETH assay will soon be available using hair.

Dig deep into your soul and NOTHING can be more important than your family/children/health/sanity.

Alcohol IS a drug and destroys lives and families. PERIOD
Old 08-30-2005, 05:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hello

and Welcome to SR!

Depression is why I started AA. Drinking was making me depressed. Might be a help to you as well.

Blessings...