Getting them sober

Old 08-23-2005, 12:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Drug Addiction Has No Mercy

Getting them sober

Getting them sober ... by Toby Rice Drews

I can't say enough about this book ... but I will say this ... It was one of the best purchases I've ever made in my life ... This book was invaluable to me.

Amazon has it and you can take a look inside it ...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0961...14#reader-link

You can flip through some of the pages and I bet you'll go out and purchase it today ... It is a MUST HAVE ... If you can't afford it call the library and see if they have it ...

I felt as if someone had looked into my life and wrote a book about me and my alcoholic ...

It gave me the tools I needed to break free from the bondage of his addiction.

Great Book ...

Passion
Old 08-23-2005, 12:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm not passing judgement here, because I haven't read the book.
But I have a real big problem with the title.
"We" don't "get them sober".
They get themselves sober.
"Getting Them Sober" just reeks of codependency to me.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

I agree, Gabe, that the title sounds suspicious. However, I looked at the Chapter 1 excerpt on Amazon and it talked about the three "C's" that we learn in Alanon. The chapter headings also looked interesting... I would certainly read the book if it were available in my local library.

I'm all for gathering information. Months ago, I couldn't get enough information about alcoholism, new and promising treatments, etc...

However, I've started reading more co-dependency books lately, especially Melodie Beatty. My primary focus is now on the only person I know I can fix, which is ME!

blessings to you.

Robina
Old 08-23-2005, 01:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Drug Addiction Has No Mercy

Gabe,

I hear ya ... but don't let the title fool ya ... this is a wonderful book that teaches what the loved ones of alcoholics can do to help themselves and possibly by helping themselves it sets up an environment where the alcoholic has a better chance of getting sober ... just us not doing all the things we do LIKE Enabling ... being co-dependent ... This book literally set me free from my alcoholic and his behavior and taught me a new way to live ...

Passion
Old 08-23-2005, 01:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nytepassion
Getting them sober ... by Toby Rice Drews

I can't say enough about this book ... but I will say this ... It was one of the best purchases I've ever made in my life ... This book was invaluable to me.
Passion, I totally agree!!! In fact, I'm getting ready to buy the book for a second time. I read it years ago and it helped me more than I can ever say. My AH eventually joined AA and quit drinking. No, I didn't get him sober but the changes that occurred in me because of this book, Alanon, and the book Codependent No More certainly didn't hurt his chances. Unfortunately, I thought I was "cured" and quit going to Alanon and he thought he was cured and quit going to AA. He relapsed several years ago and I only realized very recently that I had slipped back into the whole vicious cycle of trying to control his drinking. The FIRST thing I did was order a copy of this book. I should get it tomorrow and I can't wait. I had loaned out my copy years ago and never got it back. I agree that the title is somewhat misleading because it makes you think the book is about controlling the alcoholic but it's really about learning to control yourself. But, if you think about it, most people, before they learn about recovery, are only interested in getting the person sober and are more likely to read the book and then learn what they really need to know. The title was why I first bought it and from there I went to Alanon. If I remember right, it's more like if you learn to focus on controlling yourself, there is a greater "chance" that the alcoholic will quit drinking but the book certainly makes no guarantees and the focus in not on changing the alcoholic.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Don't let the title fool you, those books talk about stuff you'd be surprised at. They are great books, very empowering to read.

Ngaire
Old 08-23-2005, 02:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've got this book and it was great when I first started my recovery and was living with an alcoholic. I think the title is a bit tongue in cheek, because Ms Rice Drews knows where our codie buttons are. It has nothing to do with stopping anyone drinking and has really practical advice for living with an alcoholic and finding your own recovery.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Fabulous books! Please see her website/forum: http://www.GettingThemSober.com

You can even send for a free video and the first GTS book....please; check that site out! You can find out all the information there; and order the books.

Yes: the title is deceptive. Also M. Beattie books are some of the few the author Toby Rice Drews recommends online. (Under the Influence is the other)