Notices

8-23-05

Old 08-22-2005, 08:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
2/13/94-8/23/05

8-23-05

8-23-05 is the day! I hope I can find the strength to do this. I am so glad I have found this place. I hate being in pain everyday only to find myself drinking it away and passing out everyday for the last 10 years. I'll be here tomorrow and so on to update on my journey into sobriety..It's been so long! Does anyone think Ginger Ale can help out during old drinking times? I need some helpful tips to get me through the early days.

Last edited by SoberMan; 08-22-2005 at 08:31 PM. Reason: W
Old 08-22-2005, 08:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hello amd Welcome to SR....

Congratulations on seeking a sober life.

Here is a link from our Alcoholism Forum that is full of info.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ad.php?t=47857

Do keep in touch...we understand. Blessings...
Old 08-22-2005, 08:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SoberRecovery.You have come to the right place to find support. Keep us posted on your progress.If things get tough,this is a good place to be.Have you tried AA yet?
Old 08-22-2005, 09:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Soberman:

Like I advised earlier, what worked for me was plenty of OJ and lots of sugar. My other tip, which probably 99% of the people will disagree with is if you are absolutely positively dying for a beer, drink an O'Doul's before you crack open a real beer.
It's non-alcoholic beer and it tastes half way decent. This can help you out during old drinking times at the beginning. This technique didn't push me over the ledge as some suggested it would.

Some will suggest total abstinance of any kind. Some people with 10 years of sobriety that I know will freak out if they know food is cooked with wine or a cake with vanilla extract in it.

Go cold turkey if you can, but if you have been passing out for 10 years straight an ice cold O'Doul's can help ween you off of it.

That's just my tip.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Jack

You can do it!

Hi Soberman....You can do it! Ginger ale is worthless. If you need to pick up something to drink use water. If you've been drinking every day to the point of passing out for 10 yrs. you need a medical detox. Doing it by yourself will only invite seizures. No joke. Get on the phone and find someplace that will detox you medically. These people who offer you a 'link' and expect that to help, after 10 yrs. of pass out drinking are doing you more harm than good. YOU CAN DO IT! But you need help. It's tough for us drunks and junkies to ask for help but if you don't want to die, or even worse, to wind up sitting in a wheelchair, drooling, having your diaper changed and being tube fed you'll call somewhere and ask for help. I speak from experience. Booze and heroin for more than 10 yrs. Good luck and God bless.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Soberman,

Welcome to SR!

What worked for me in the early days was completely changing routines. I had to do something totally different during the times that I would normally drink. That is what helped get me past the early cravings. Ginger ale is a good idea, whatever works for you. I'd also suggest walking the dog, watching a good movie, exercising, calling someone - anything that gives you a focus for a few minutes.

Anna
Old 08-23-2005, 04:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Hello SoberMan--Welcome to SR! Glad you found us! In Carol's defense, the link she posted contains a lot of information about what to watch for so you can de-tox safely. I also recommend you speak to your doctor so he/she is aware of what you are doing. NONE of us is a medical professional. We want you to be safe. De-tox can be very dangerous. It is not something to be taken lightly. Do you have people who can be with you while you de-tox? You shouldn't be all alone. Your best bet is definitely to check in to a de-tox facility so they can keep an eye on you.

Keep posting and let us know how you are doing.

Hugs--
Old 08-23-2005, 10:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
2/13/94-8/23/05

thanx

I appreciate all of the tips and support! Today is the day and I am going to do this on my own cold turkey. I hope I don't have seizures that's pretty scary, but yeah no detox for me or AA but if this attempt fails that's where I will be.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the boards SoberMan, and congratulations on your choice for a new sober life! Keep us posted on how it goes.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Congrats Soberman and welcome to SR.

nogard
Old 08-23-2005, 03:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hey soberman, welcome, why wait until a failure to go get the help of AA or a detox?
Go for it buddy. Get some help, now is the time..
I wish you well..
Love, Becky
Old 08-23-2005, 04:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
"The BAND" workshop ROCKS!

Dis is it!