Depressed

Old 11-14-2002, 04:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Depressed

I'm depressed. The holidays are coming and my family and A don't speak. My children want to be home with me and A this holiday season, so we will be. My mother is putting the guilt thing on, you know, "I may not be alive next X-mas, boy I wish I could see my grandkids open their presents:." Meanwhile last X-mas we were with her she kept telling the kids they were making too much noise playing and opening presents!

I'm thinking I may be isolating too much. I go to meetings, but haven't called anyone after meetings. I post here, but am paranoid I'm not saying the right thing. I hate this insecure feeling.

I'm already on an anti-depressant so I'm covered there. My job is in the helping profession and I guess I'm somewhat burned out. I also have students with me in the clinic and about this time every semester they get alittle needy. I'm all spent.

Any body relate out there?
Old 11-14-2002, 05:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Cajun girl

I too try hard to enjoy the holidays, but to be honest I face them with dread every year. So many emotional letdowns in the past have left scars that take time to heal.

What I have learned to do is plan first what works for me. If I really have to visit family or places that I'd rather not be, I arrange to keep the visits brief. Let your mother's guilt trip be HER thing - you do not have to take ownership. Plan a visit that suits you and stand firm. Do not take ownership of the guilt trip she may offer. You can choose not to be a victim.

And plan something special just for yourself. Don't overload your agenda and plan some time to just be quiet and relax.

And I really need to add, please please do not every worry about what you post here - anything you need to share is "the right thing". We are all friends, here to support each other and offer encouragement and hugs. And we welcome you with open hearts.
Old 11-14-2002, 05:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Cajun girl,

Maybe there is a way to compromise. Have x-mas at home and then get together with your mom on another day. If she doesn't like that idea then that is her choice.

Don't worry about saying the wrong thing. You are among friends here. We are not going to judge what you say. My antidepressant makes me a little paranoid at times and I have to skip a day or two when that happens. Maybe you are experiencing some of that.

Keep posting. You're not alone. What you want matters in your life. If there isn't a way to compromise then do it your way.

Hugs,
MG