Notices

Morning of day 5

Old 08-14-2005, 08:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Morning of day 5

Well things have really gone pretty well for me. I was certainly craving alcohol during work last night, and was thinking how nice it would be to buy something. And its twice as hard to say "No, I'm not gonna go buy something" when the place you work at sells it. But I've realized my cravings for alcohol are about the same as my cravings for things like german chocolate cake, or a really good pizza. I miss the taste more than I miss being drunk, and I miss the actual habit of drinking more than I miss being drunk.

So I set out on a quest to find soft drinks that taste similar to something I would be drinking. I've found Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper tastes somewhat similar to Disaronno, which I rarely had, but its still a familiar taste. So I tried Diet A&W Cream Soda, which is very vaguely like a gold rum. I was mainly a rum and whiskey drinker. And I bought a couple packs of YoHoos, which are somewhat like what I used to have for breakfast; shots of baily's and buttershots.

So all told, its really not been excessively difficult for me. I feel blessed that I'm not going through the symptoms I've read a lot of you guys going through.

So, one question for everyone... When someone on here says something about a specific drink that you used to drink, do you get that "ooh, that sounds REALLY good right now" thought? I've found that I do.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Beer wasn't my major problem...I drank vodka. But I do miss an ice cold beer on a hot day. I liked the taste of a good beer....I never liked the taste of vodka, I just liked the effect.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

"ooh, that sounds REALLY good right now"
yup....

Sends me right down memory lane....

right past the first delicious taste... to the second... and the third.. not tasteing so good anymore... fourth.. .fifth... starting to worry ... gonna run out... sixth... seventh... better start figureing out how to get more... eighth... ninth... losing comprehension... tenth ... goin lookin...

... and... don't get me started on the next day... ;o)

That's what I try to remember when I start thinking that hmmmm... just one would taste pretty good... or feel pretty good... or whatever....

Gotta remember to take it past the memory of the pleasure of the first...
Old 08-14-2005, 11:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Future Philanthropist

I've replaced everything with Ginger Ale. No one likes a great beer more than me, and I would rather just have something completely different than something that reminded me of a vintage 2005 Victory Hop Devil!

To me trying to maintain a taste for certain things you can't have is kinda like trying to fall in love of pictures of your ex after she's dumped you

I'd rather not be reminded of it at all. The taste of beer that is... not that I'm bitter or anything LOL.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Where can I get a cup of tea?

Originally Posted by 2tough2die
To me trying to maintain a taste for certain things you can't have is kinda like trying to fall in love of pictures of your ex after she's dumped you
Laughing my head off here 2tough - that's not a good idea to me either!

I'm going the replacement way, ie., don't drink things which remind me. Here's why. There's a non-alcoholic lager in the UK called Kaliber. I was thinking of using that as a replacement (though I mostly like real Ale and whiskey). But, one night in a bar, having fun with some friends, two Kalibers down, and someone slightly tipsy and looking like they're having a great night says, "Another beer..?", but the look on his face says, "Ah, go on mate, have a proper one". BANG. Fairytale ends, because all my 'giving up' would have been a fairytale.

Nope.

Griptape, you avoid that dink any way you can, but avoid it!
Old 08-14-2005, 12:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Chy

I'm glad your doing well!

As for thinking about having a cold beer (my doc).. sure it sounds good, but I know where it would lead so I switch over those thoughts to "sounds good but I'd be puking, sick, lieing being guilty in a few hours".. your darn right we think about it, we're alcoholics but the key is to just think and not react. Keep up the good work.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Congrats and ditto Chy.

nogard
Old 08-14-2005, 01:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
a hole new life

I am with 2tough on this one, Ive found that exploying new tastes has helped a lot. I have found the world of Real Tea, not that crapie stuff in t. bags but leafs you have to prepare properly and let them brew. Very English, what!!