Notices

First post

Old 08-11-2005, 03:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First post

I just thought I would introduce myself. I am 36 male from the UK. I smoked cannabis everyday from the age of 16-28(ish). I gave up the pot completely and had a sort of breakdown that was diagnosed as anxiety and depression, but it was extreme to the point of delusions and paranoia, very similar to schizophrenia.
I eventually got over that but started drinking everyday, then when my body couldn't handle it I started binging for 2 days every week. Now my sanity and body can't handle the bingeing either.
If I don't stop drinking I feel I will end up on the streets as a tramp.
So, that is my potted history, I have read quite a lot of posts here and feel I would like to be part of this forum, hopefully receiving and giving support
Old 08-11-2005, 03:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Welcome to SR, Stonerat!!!
Yes, here you will find loads of support as you walk your way to recovery. Go on down to the alcoholism board, or the AA board. You will find standard 12 Step programs and alternatives. And, you will find many people who know exactly where you are, and they are willing to help you feel better. Please be sure to read the stickys on the tops of the forums. They are filled with important information. And finally, be sure to take a walk over to the Recovery Follies forum. Laughter is the best medicine!
I wish you well on your journey of recovery...
Shalom!
Old 08-11-2005, 04:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dan

Welcome to SoberRecovery!
I'm Dan. Binge kind of guy here as well.
Like it says on the sign at the front door, "Help starts here".
Old 08-11-2005, 04:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome guys, I really need some help and support, today has been a long time coming, I think I need this forum
Old 08-11-2005, 04:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Smile

Hello Stonerat! Welcome to SR. Glad you found us. Here, you have found a unique community of wonderful, supportive people who know exactly what you are going through. I was a binge-drinker and pot smoker myself, and have been gratefully recovering clean and sober for almost 18 months. It is not easy, but it is simple. If you want to quit drinking, don't pick up a drink--even if you a$$ is on fire!!! I have been able to acheive my extended sobriety through the program and support of AA and by staying involved here at SR. As Teach said, hang out for a while, read alot, and post some more. I look forward to getting to know you!

Hugs--
Old 08-11-2005, 04:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

((((SR))))

welcome to SR ha ha!! get it SR?

Anyway this is a great place to get support. Stay open...
Old 08-11-2005, 06:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I finally 'got' the joke splendra
I thought I would mention I haven't drank for 3 days, the last time was when I went to a friends wedding and was too-drunk. The friend whose wedding it was gave me a severe telling off the next day and I realised I had alreay lost some friends due my drinking.
So it was the final straw (I hope), I am now going through the sweats and the shakes and worst of all the psycholigical symptoms of anxiety, depression and self-loathing.
Oh well
Old 08-11-2005, 06:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Dan

Well then...
Three days in, are you.
Just a FYI link, in case you need it...
http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/withd.../aa000125a.htm

The special sweats, the anxiety, oh yeah... A million times over my resolve would crumble at this time. I think that the self-loathing is a characteristic common to most of us with substance abuse problems. Even stone cold sober, I can still let myself go to that dark head space.

Idea...
Thinking of good things about ourselves, our best attributes, the things we actually like about who we are, can only have a positive effect in the early days away from the drink.
Withdrawal and detox is never fun.
But it doesn't last forever, and there is much that can be done to help your mind and body return to balance.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Dan
Old 08-11-2005, 07:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Stonerat, glad to have you here among us!
Old 08-11-2005, 03:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome stonerat, glad you found us.

nogard