Notices

new to sobriety

Old 08-10-2005, 05:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile new to sobriety

I suppose this is the biggest step I've ever taken toward being sober. I've known for a long time that I have a problem with drinking. Like so many others I thought I could control it myself. Guess what I can't. I hate the things I do when I'm drunk. Today is day 2 for me, and the weekend looms ahead of me like a dark cloud on the horizon. We are always with people that drink. I've never found the strength to say no "to just one" which always becomes more. But hey, I'm here, I'm reaching out for support, I need to be sober!!!
Old 08-10-2005, 06:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome!!! You came to the right place. My first piece of advise to you is don't worry about the weekend. Just don't drink today. It's much easier if you take it 1 day at a time. Even 1 hour at a time if you have to. Tomorrow will be here soon enough. I read somewhere, "If you are trying to controll your drinking you already lost controll." Somehow that helped make it clear to me. Can you not drink just for today? Sure you can.....we're here to help you if you need. Also, have you gone to an face to face meeting?
Old 08-10-2005, 06:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I for one had to change my play mates. Can you be honest with them? Do they have a drinking problem as well.

After I quit drinking, the people I thought were my friends didn't have anything to do with me cause i didn't drink

Try a meeting there should be one in your area. See what you think. Tell your family members and the people you consider your best friends what you're doing

For you to be successful in abstaining from drinking you need support from loved ones.

Welcome this is your first step and it's the beginning of a wonderful journey

Chris
Old 08-10-2005, 07:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm new here too ... just wanted to say hi .. and that I know what you mean about weekends. I'm trying to figure out my weeknights ... haven't even gotten into how to handle the weekends yet .. yikes. Best wishes and luck to you ... and me ... and everyone.

And congrats on Day 2... that's wonderful.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Midas

Welcome Aboard, bored1 & masterofnone! Weekends for me were ''mass consumption'' days. So getting past the first couple weekends was just a miserable experience and I couldn't sleep for the first week into sobriety.

Congrats on the 2 days so far! Hang in there!!

Old 08-10-2005, 01:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone that responded. I'm going to do my best to hang in there.
I haven't been able to sleep the last two nights either Midas, and right now I feel miserable, it's "cocktail time" and I don't know what to do with myself. So I'm here. I am going to go for a run too, try to get those endorphines pumping.
I'll keep coming back for the support.
thanks again everyone
Old 08-10-2005, 01:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hi masterofnone and welcome to SR. Hang in there it will pass, what are you doing for support? Meetings, friends?

nogard
Old 08-10-2005, 01:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! I found that once I stopped my focus on just not drinking, but to rebuilding my life, I didn't obsess as much over the drinking. One step at a time though. Sleeping is a tough one for me -- I'm so used to just passing out at night. I've tried to have a routine where I read some daily devotionals and my bible before bedtime -- it helps.
Kathy
Old 08-10-2005, 01:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

Welcome to SR Masterofnone, glad you found your way here!
When i first quit i spent 2 weeks in detox and justt over 4 months in treatment so my weekends were kind of 'booked' you could say.
When i was out in the 'real world' i too found i didn't know what to do with myself. I definitely stayed close to home. I started going to AA and NA while i was in treatment and i continued when i got out. Today the are my lifeline, along with SR.
Jaguar's right, don't concern yourself with the weekend till it gets here, concern yourself with today, each moment as it comes.
Today when i find myself bored i find a sober friend to go have coffe with, go for a walk, go to the library, go to or rent a movie, clean something. If you think you need someone to hang out with to stay sober, today or on the weekend then call someone. Check out AA in your area, you just might like it
WE want to be able to do this on our own, but the simple fact is we don't have to, you aren't alone, we are here for you.
keep coming back!
Hugs, Wendy
Old 08-10-2005, 01:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
New things have come to light

i agree

i have seen it many times from other people that when they got sober they also found out who there real friends were.

as for me, i had no friends when i first got sober, they had all stopped calling and wanting to hang out with me. SHOCKER! but being in the program and working the steps as best i can i have really come to know some true friends that really do care for me and are not there just b/c i might pick up the bar tab.

yeah i understand about the weekend, even though i drank everyday, the weekend was for me to go out and see music, since being sober i have learne3d that there cant be excitment all the time and now i cheerish my time just sitting on the couch watching tv, beats the hell out of being drunk in a bar. another thing i was worried about was "how am i gonna have fun" well hell, i didnt know what fun was, it really didnt matter what i was doing, that wasent fun, all i wanted to do was drink and get hammered, everything i did revoled around the drink, today, im going back and some things that i had done before i started drinking, and trying new things however "lame" they may sound but i truely do have fun doing them, i was on vacation not to long ago and me and my friend just sat on her dock all day. that was some awsome stuff good place to think and clear the head, i had never done that before and if i had, i would have been so drunk not to appreciat it.

most days i findout something new about myself i didnt know and thats cool for me, actually getting to know myself.

anyways that was a bunch of rambling.. stay strong and keep comeing back.

peace.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi, welcome to the family at SR! Just take it one day at a time. Each day will take care of itself. stick around and read and then post some more.

staying sober does get easier with time. hang in there!
Old 08-11-2005, 12:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
a hole new life

Welcome, I am new here myself,12 days sober. The best bit of advise I have recieved here, is that old saying ONE day at a time! I now think like that and it makes it a lot easier to stay sober.Visit this site as often as you can, I log on several times a day, there is some great advise from some great people. Stick with us and learn.
Remember to keep on digging!!!!Deep!!!!
I am digger and I am an ALCOLIC
Old 08-11-2005, 12:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Welcome to SR and these people are some of the best people in the world. I hope that you are doing well sorry it took me so long to get to your post but I have been in the process of moving and I am just now starting to settle in. One thing that I think we all can agree on is that we only have to stay sober and clean right now. Good luck and I will keep you in my thoughts

Love Vic
Old 08-11-2005, 04:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Smile

Welcome, Masterofnone. Glad you found us. Hang out for a while. Make yourself comfortable. We look forward to getting to know you!

Hugs--