another rehab

Old 08-04-2005, 07:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

another rehab

my mom has now hit her seventh rehab and i feel the family particially blames themselves. we have told her that this time we will help her only if she does not drive till she proves herself sober. we have always accepted her back hoping she had found her way, that was enabling. now we want her not to drive because she crashed my car into a tree and we fear for others safety. she replied by saying she in going to be more assertive and we can not take her car. we told her that there will be no support from us this time. does anyone have advise on how the family can help my dad protect himself financially since she decided to keep the car. my mom has told me i don't understand her dissease oh how i hate that word. thanks.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Your father can do everything he can to separate financially. But that is his decision to make. All you can really do is express your concern to him and then let it go. I know you love your mother and worry about her but she is an adult...at least chronologically...and her consequences are her own.

I have a son with 5 DUI's and this is a real concern for me. Of course he has no license but that doesn't stop a person from driving if the opportunity is there. There is simply not one thing I can do to stop it.

Welcome to SR...sorry for the delay in response. The ACOA forum is a lot slower than the Families forum. Feel free to post over there...it's a happening place!

Hugs,
JT
Old 08-08-2005, 09:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Only you can make yourself

hi

hmm well i guess we are in the same situation sort-of my sister is cosinger on my fathers car beacuse he went sober for 6 months so we tryed to help him get his life back together. well he is back to drinking agian and smashing things (the usual) and my sister says she wants to take the car back i told her she should well he just got a dui and now is going back to jail. so yes i woud take the car before she hurts someone or herself. its so sad how sometimes we are babysitters for grown adults im to the point where what more can a person do.