Think that AH may have bipolar disorder

Old 08-03-2005, 01:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Think that AH may have bipolar disorder

My AH just went to his therapist. He mentioned some symptoms there that might be bipolar disorder (aka manic-depression). We are going to try to get him into a psychiatrist asap. I did read that a lot of them use alcohol to calm themselves down or to help w/the depression. Both parents are alcoholics and both parents have bipolar. My AH did not get good genes at all!

Anyone else out there with a alcoholic who has bipolar? Just wondering hwo they acted/behaved, etc.

My AH can be very impulsive, makes a lot of poor judgements, he did not used to be this bad, but it has gotten a lot worse since the alcoholism has gotten a lot worse.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

HI Meli!! My husband self medicated his depression with alcohol probably all his adult life. He now takes a good dose of an antidepressent. He has been in recovery for about 6 weeks. I question if this would even be possible without meds. Like your husband it seems to be genetic. His grown son deals with depression and anxiety. He chooses to self medicate with drugs and alcohol. Also, ADHD left untreated can lead to abuse of alcohol. My husbands swears he had it as a child. He is in a generation when it went untreated. His 3 sons have it and depression. I would get a good doctor because bipolar is cyclic. When in a manic cycle they become highly energtic. Little or no sleep is needed. There is a wide range of degrees of mania. My girlfriend talked to flying rabbits. She hide things on her self and when out of a cycle would find things she had no memory of hiding. Go beyond your family doctor for a good diagnosis. Good luck, Keep us posted!! Kerry
Old 08-03-2005, 06:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Meli,

Robin Williams, the great actor/comedian, is bi-polar. Alot of really talented people are.

He used drugs (marijuana, cocaine) and alcohol for many years. I recently saw a movie on him and his life and had no idea that he was great friends with John Belushi, the comedian that died of an overdose. In fact, Robin W. was one of the last people to see John B. alive.

His wife had left him many times because of his drug use. I'm sure if you looked up on google or *****, you could find out more about him.

My ex H was abusive. He had signs of being bi-polar. He used marijuana for years to self medicate himself. I hate to say this and don't condone drug use at all, but he was actually easier to deal with when he was high.

Any drug including alcohol, messes with the three main neurotransmitters in our brains; serotonin, epinephrine and dopamine. If there's already a chemical imbalance going on genetically, the use of drugs will intensify it.

It's definetly something to check into with the psychiatrist. Alot of (and you know this, probably, because you're a nurse) alcoholics are put on lithium when they're withdrawing. That's a pretty heavy duty drug. But, the Dr. might wanna try some different meds with your husband. I know that there's also a new drug named Campral that Dr's are giving A's. It's supposed to decrease their desire for alcohol. Kind of like an antibuse, but not as dangerous.

Good luck and let us know how it goes,k?
Old 08-03-2005, 07:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

I have to wonder if xabf is Bipolar..Right around the time he got sober he was put on Prozac for depression. He said he didn't have cravings maybe due to the ADs. I often wonder if that helped him more then anything in staying sober. As when he went off the Prozac he started drinking a few weeks later.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Carol here...an alcoholic in AA recovery.

About half the members of my home group are on meds for being Bi Polar. Most have over a year sober.

From my observation and candid conversations it is difficult to treat. It seems hard to find the correct combination of drugs and dosage. Also diet and sleeping are factors.

The odd facet is that when they feel well they all quit the meds. Wow! Manic actions abound.
I notice excessive buying sprees and non stop chatter are the obvious manifestations.

I wanted to reply so as to personally tell you that sobriety is attainable for those who suffer from Bi Polar chemical imbalamce.

And don't let your spouse say he can't do AA because of meds. Absolutely incorrect.

Blessings...
Old 08-04-2005, 07:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sometimes I wonder if my AH is bi-polar.. My mother is bi-polar but she isn't an alcholic and she is on Lithium or wellbutrin..
Old 08-04-2005, 09:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My xabf went on Paxil. I could see a change in his depression and his energy level, but he still kept drinking .......ANd, taking the AD's at the same time. (not good).

His sister does the same thing. She doesn't drink that often, but she's on a heavy duty AD.

It is weird that the A's will quit the AD's because they "don't wanna become a druggie", but yet will continue to drink. ????

I've worked as a counselor with different therapists and they often would go on Prozac and then about a month or so later, get off of it. They'd do that repeatedly cuz they'd say "Oh, I went back on Prozac" or "I'm off Prozac for now". That's not a wise thing to do to your body.

It's one thing to be on them and later on,......after therapy and doing the work needed on the issues, if they and their DR. feel they are strong enough to get off of them.....to go off of them for good, but not to go on......go off.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi there,
My H is almost 6 months sober, and is diagnosed bi-polar. It was indeed very difficult for the docs to diagnose, as he was never 100% honest until he went to rehab. When he first started getting really "weird" I immediately suspected bi-polar, just becuase of his varying moods. One week he would pretty much stay in bed, the next he would be up all night partying, and going for 50 mile bike rides during the day. He is on lithium and wellbutrin, but has had so many different combinations of prescription drugs and dosages.

When my h was using, his mania was uncontrollable. Violence, anger, up all night, very sexual, very scary. He also had distorted thoughts, had conjured up a whole scenario that I was having an affair, obsessed about it. His depression epidodes were scary because there was always talk of suicide. I don't think there is any chance the medicine will work while someone is using.

Once medicated with the right dosages, he felt immediately better. Just a lot more calm, a lot fewer thoughts racing through his head.

Marg
Old 08-04-2005, 12:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I read my hubby's notes off the computer screen when we were at the docs. there was a list starting with severe depression, then agoraphobia, panic disorder and finally alcoholism!

Most of that stuff I knew or had been diagnosed before but seeing it in a list made my heart sink! Especially as the visit we made after the doc said he felt D (hubby) had also had some mania as a result of the AD's.

The most useful thing to me has been to learn about the other stuff, I think it's as important as learning about the alcoholism, they certainly interact.

We've just been through a horrid couple of months but it' starting to improve now. Going through the storm has had some real bonus's, it's flagged stuff up that needs to be dealt with, led to D seeking more help, him getting help with the drinking for the first time and his doctor being more aware of the full picture. I think we have a real chance of coming out the other side far stronger than when we went in.

My trust in D has grown because he went straight for help, my trust in 'us' as a partnership has increased because even when it's been by a thread we have managed to stay communicating - and most of the time we communicated really well. The drinking was the hardest thing because it shot up so quickly - and obviously made everything else harder because I had a very drunk D! But even that made me realise my own limitations, I realised that if he hadn't been going for help I really don't think I would have been able to cope - I'm sure many others could but I don't think I could.

After our lousy past months D has started to improve a bit. He stopped drinking last Tuesday, had nearly a week of withdrawal, drank on Sunday then stopped again. It seems different this week, more productive where as last week I sort of knew he would drink. It's now day 4, and some of the worst of the mental health stuff has faded - it's still there but less. In fact everything feels less at crisis point, but the help we accessed through that should still be there.

I think the bottom line is that I like him - he's still him through it all, just him in a pickle! Now it's him fighting back and getting help. I'm hopeful soon it will be him getting well - I want that. I feel very lucky he went for treatment, if he had decided to stay ill I'm sure it would have felt very different.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. He goes to a psychiatrist tomorrow. We will see. I willlet you know. He told me some things about what he has been feeling that I never knew. Plus both parents are Bipolar, so definite genetic link possible. Bipolar does run in families. Both parents are also alcoholics, he did not get good genes.

Equus, you have had a bad summer like me. I hope it gets better soon for us. It seems like crisis mode after crisis mode. NOt sure how much more of this I can weather. It is exhausting. I am sure your AH is glad to have you standing by him.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Update, well we went to the psychiatrist today, he said my AH has Bipolar II, which is a milder form of the typical Bipolar I (Manic Depression) we all think of. I'm glad to know someone has finally pinpointed something wrong with him. Maybe this explains some of his strange actions, actions that seem insane at times.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well yes, if he has Bipolar then he is insane. And he'll do insane things. Treating it should go a long ways towards reducing the drinking and other problems he may be having.

One of my brothers is an untreated bipolar victim. He's also alcoholic, coke head, jailbird homeless unemployed person. A real shame, he was brilliant before the disease struck, and my favorite brother, now I'm afraid to even be in the same state with him as he focuses his rage at life on me, the only sister. A friend has a husband who was diagnosed with bipolar and is doing very very well on lithium. He did all kinds of frightening and insane things before he was diagnosed including increased drinking, which is now under control along with the bipolar.

actions that seem insane at times
Hah! when my first husband left me after starting treatment for clinical depression, his friends all called me and said 'I can't believe he did that to you! he must be insane!!' well I always had to laugh at that. 'Didn't he tell you? he IS insane. He has depression! he's mentally ill.'
Old 08-06-2005, 05:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi,

A lot of A's are bi-polar and they do use drugs and alcohol to self medicate.

Ngaire