Watching the progress of the disease

Old 08-02-2005, 09:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Watching the progress of the disease

Sunday I watched the movie Ray again.

I've seen it several times. This time I focussed on his disease and it's amazing how well the movie accurately portrays what we've all lived.

You see his problems. Then, you see where he starts his addictions. No one really notices at the beginning. He marries. They 'seem' happy. A few years into the marriage, his wife finds his kit, she's not yet noticed other signs. He turns on her as only someone who is addicted can.

His use increases. More trouble at home. More bad behavior. Years pass.
Many of his friends...whether they're his other women or those he's around are also using. His marriage gets more and more rocky.

His work notices. Legal trouble due to the addiction. More problems in the marriage and now you see how it effects his children as well. One of his girls overdoses and dies. More use...more legal troubles.

Thankfully he gets clean. Has a doctor who challenges him and doesn't give in to addictive behavior. And eventually he faces the problems you saw at the very beginning.

If you have it or rent it and can focus on his addiction rather than the music and the characters, I SWEAR there are times that, no matter what addiction is touching your life, you'll see some reflections of your own former or current life.

The honesty of that in this movie took my breath away.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Irene,
I haven't seen the movie yet...wasn't really that interested in it but now....you have peeked my interests. Like you, any movie I previously saw with addictions involved didn't impact me at the time....now I view them so differently....thanks for the insight on the movie "Ray."
Love, Patty
Old 08-02-2005, 12:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

Irene,
I watched Ray a few months ago with xabf, the last time he was home briefly. The movie sent chills up my spine. You have a good point about focusing on the addiction in the movie, as opposed to the music and drama.

Funny, xabf never talked much about the addiction throughout the movie; more about how great of an artist he was.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's easy to get caught up in the music and the fabulous performances of many particularly Jamie Fox. Add to that how well they nailed the "flavor" of the era, the brief but significant scenes with Quincy Jones and it's easy to overlook the darker side of this movie.

My Xbf also didn't seem to notice that dark side.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's so sad that so much of his life had to pass in turmoil before someone saw through his addictive behavior and challenged it.