I need advice... I think my husband has a drinking problem

Old 07-25-2005, 12:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
help9700

I need advice... I think my husband has a drinking problem

Help. I don't know what to do. Upon my questioning, my Husband admitted he has a drinking problem last night and has decided not to drink. His solution is just not to have it in the house. We have never been here before although I have with a previous relationship so I can see it happening all over again. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt but know in my heart we may need outside intervention. I don't know how to approach him about this.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Help9700,

welcome to SR..I'm sure if have been lurking for a while you are going to read the same things I'm about to tell you.

You CAN'T help him..He has got to want to get help..All you can do is focus on you and what you want out of life..

If you have been involved in a previous relationship with an alcoholic then you know how it is going to go.

Please read all the stickies in the Alanon and Naranon posts..You may want to get "Codependent No More" and of course I highly recommend going to Alanon meetings in person for support and more information about the disease of alcoholism.

As you hear in Alanon the 3 C's are: you didn't cause it, you can't control it and you can't cure it.

Please continue to post, we are here for you! So many of us are where you are today and we have found solutions.

Best wishes,

Minx
Old 07-25-2005, 03:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hate to say it, but if he is really addicted, just getting it out of the house is not going to solve the problem. He needs to attend AA or work with a counselor or go to some type of rehab.

You might suggest some outside intervention, but he has to be the one who wants to do it.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I remember seeing somewhere that there's a problem when you start putting conditions on yourself on when/where/how much you can drink. I'm cleaning out my sibling's apartment while they are in detox following 4th DUI(lost job, going to jail now, etc) and there is no sign of alcohol anywhere. Nor did I ever see/find alcohol in their apartment--always seemed to have to go somewhere else to drink.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome help9700 - what minx posted is very true. read more about the disease and consider al-anon for yourself. post here as much as you like lots of great folks with experience, strength and hope to share!

hugs - christie