Just wondering what you all think

Old 07-07-2005, 01:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just wondering what you all think

My RAH and I had a very interesting conversation the other day and I was wondering what you all would have to say about it:

My RAH is in full-time healthcare, as am I...part-time and full-time in research. He had a patient the other day who was intoxicated and being the way healthcare is, there was some joking and stereotyping outside of the room. Now, I know that this isn't professional, but in some cases it can relieve some tension from a very stressful job (Gallows humor). Anyway, I then told my RAH about a co-worker of mine who made a comment to me about those "drunks", not knowing my situation. This has happened on a few occasions recently.

My question to my RAH is what is our responsibility in the situation? I have since come to my own conclusions, but I am wondering what others feel and would do in similar situations.

When someone makes a comment, do you correct? Educate? slap them silly? ignore? What is your basis for this?

Do you feel that those in healthcare have a responsibility to be more educated on the subject of alcoholism/addiction since it does fall into a category of medical issue? and should be more aware of the difficulties that people face? Is it our job to educate our clueless co-workers or keep our mouths closed? Does it matter if the patient is none-the-wiser?

Just food for thought. Thanks for any replies!
Old 07-07-2005, 01:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

I’m only a kid so my opinion probably doesn’t mean much. But that seems highly unprofessional and pretty damn uncalled for. Alcoholism seems to be increasing lately. I think it’s important that people feel comfterable e talking to there health care providers about the issue. If someone has an attitude like that it’s going to be hard for them to feel that way.

My response to this kind of behavior would depend upon who said it. If it was someone who was supposed to be more professional I’d comment to them probably in a polite way. If it was someone at school I’d ethier kick there ass or flip them off. It depends really.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think it's occasion specific.

Sometimes a very knowledgable person just vents! And they try to do so among those who understand it's just a vent. Sometimes people are downright stupid and need to be educated.

We here have laughed at things when put in another context would be oh so offensive. Remember all the hillarious animal pics with alcohol? What if those bottles and glasses had been needles full of heroin? Would we have still laughed and shared? What if the word "drunk" was as offensive as the "n" word?

I think it's occasion specific. Just my opinion.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Life!

Chuckles,
Although I do understand the stress relieving factor of gallows humor, I find this behavior unsettling. I honestly think that those underlying attitudes do effect the manner of treatment. And perhaps the method.
For example, my son was in the emergency room with an overdose of heroin once. He was laying there for hours. I was there with him.
I finally spoke up. I told them I had to go to work the next day. The nurse told me it was good that I did speak up, because they would have let him lay there all night, rather than let me take him home.
Beliefs come out as jokes often. And they DO have an effect.
Please speak up in an unthreatening manner. Or at least put some literature out in a place where they will see it.

And carchick....kid or not, your knowledge is worthy...and as we've seen in the example above, better than some *professionals.* Please do give your opinions. We all grow by sharing our experience, strength and hope. (ESH)
Shalom!
Old 07-07-2005, 09:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As a nurse, I think all healthcare professionals including MDs need to have more education on alcoholism and its treatment. THey often fail to pick it up until the very late stages.

Also, I have heard unprofessional remarks as well. It sounds as though your RAH is a very highly functional individual and he's an alcoholic. I think people don't understand that there are many alcoholics that do well in life.

I have been undergoing some counseling w/an addiction counselor to help me deal with the AH in my life and I have learned an immense amount of information regarding alcoholism that has helped me in my personal life nad in my professional life as well. Your husband might just pass on some of his knowledge in a nice way to the so-called professionals who by the way are acting quite unprofessionally! It might make them think about what they are doing. Also, he could tell them it's rude to make such remarks about sick patients.

I do agree it is no fun to deal with a heavily intoxicated out of control alcoholic, they can be scratching, biting, hitting, kicking, shouting profanities, you name it. But it is not up to us to judge them, we are supposted to care for them.