Ommm...Ummm??

Old 07-04-2005, 11:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

Ommm...Ummm??

I'm reading some books on meditation but I can't seem to get motivated enough to do it. Does anybody here meditate regularly, and how do you go about it? Mornings? Before bedtime? Also, do you find it beneficial?

Your feedback is welcome.

Robin
Old 07-04-2005, 12:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

5 minutes for me.

I actually set a timer. Every morning...and my line is "Today will be filled with joy." Over and over till the buzzer rings. I do it AFTER my first cup of coffee and just before hopping on the treadmill. It's part of my "my hour" every morning.

Other thoughts will migrate in, you just push them aside and go back to your line or sound or whatever. It sets my tone for the day...a mindset of joy. And even when I have an absolutely crappy day...who knows, it might have been worse if I were in a bad frame of mind.

I don't know about the health benefits but I do know this-both of my parents suffered from high blood pressure. Both took medication for it. Both died before they hit social security age. I'm over 50, could use to shed a few pounds (ok,maybe more than a few ) but my blood pressure is consistantly 120/60. Maybe I am lucky. Maybe because I try to eat correctly...and maybe this has a part of it.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

I've taught myself to go into auto mode in times of need. Anxiety, stress, anger...I stop what I'm doing and focus my attention on nothing...breathing plays a big part too. Go on line and read up. I practice mindfulness. While brushing my teeth, washing dishes, anything that requires focus, eventhough we're capable to doing and think of a dozen things at a time.