Working on yourself, what is it?

Old 07-02-2005, 07:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ugh!

Working on yourself, what is it?

Okay just a thought here, not to sound dumb (but well sometimes I am and learn kinda VERY SLOW) What is it that everyone means by working on themselves. I'm worried that I may have a warped sense of this...I may be getting a lot out of what I've done but somehow I still feel broken.

These are some of the things I've done this year to "work on myself":

Read too good to leave to bad to stay by Mira Kirshenbaum really spelled out what a good relationship is and is not

Read lots of Mealody Beaty, we all feel we know her personally I think

Purchased some really cool shoes

Started taking jumping/dressage lessons on my horse (she'll be sold soon so I thought I may as well enjoy her while she's still around)

Joined two bible studies (thank God they quit for summer)

Had weekly therapy sessions all year

Went to al-anon meetings

Sometimes when people say, "work on yourself," I wanna scream, what else is there? And what is it that people really mean when they say that? Well just some food for thought. What is it that everyone else is doing to work on themselves?

Big Hugs to all,
~FaithChaser
Old 07-02-2005, 10:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Learn what unacceptable is and don't accept it.

Learn the importance of not giving advice to a dry addict like my S.O and checking my motives about giving advice which are;

Want to control.
Want to feel superior.

Learn my Alanon lessons so I don't get caught back into the same trap as before.

Learn that basically it's all about me and I'm responsible for my life and my sons until he is 18 and no one elses.

Do not try to control,manipulate and try to change another to be what I want him to be for me.

Learn acceptance and figure out if I can accept it, if it's good for me and working for me.If IT'S NOT, IT'S UP TO ME TO REMOVE MYSELF FROm the situation and not try to change it to suit me.

Ngaire
Old 07-02-2005, 11:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

I'm trying to keep my mind free of those horrible thoughts that keep intruding when my son is late coming home. Such a suspicious mind I have. Primarily fear. I am developing the feathers of a duck. So stuff can just roll off. I sometimes forget my spiritual welfare and make a daily effort and sometimes several times a day to touch base with HP. I am not one who only communicates on one given day of the week. I like to consider myself on a first name with my HP. You know, like with a friend.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Last night I was stewing over something and then thought I'd hand it over to my H.P and I felt a load lifted off my shoulders and then forgot about it.

Ngaire
Old 07-02-2005, 04:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Identify whats broken within me, and then get the help I need to repair myself.