Notices

Holiday

Old 06-29-2005, 09:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Holiday

Is anyone else nervous about Independence Day? It's a holiday that I have always associated with drinking. I'm not worried that I will drink, just that I will be crawling out of my skin that day.

I have the whole day planned with activities for me, my husband and my daughter, but at night we are supposed to meet up with friends (who drink heavily) for fireworks. Should I avoid the situation with them entirely, ie, make up an excuse not to go, or go and try to act normal?

Old 06-29-2005, 09:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Future Philanthropist

Heck yes I'm concerned.

Best I'm gonna attempt is to carry on with my normal plans. I expect to be out on a boat with my brother, who drinks heavy when he drinks. I haven't told him I'm dry, so I'd be lying if I said I knew how this was going to go.

I've had enough good experiences in drinking 'environments' without that skin crawling feeling since I quit, and have found them not nearly as bad as I thought they were going to be. I've also found on the few occassions I've avoided the whole enchilada I felt worse about myself then if I had just gone, and dont consider it much of a useful strategy for me, at least.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good post.. I think it is especially hard when it is the first time you will not be drinking when you usually do. I am scared as well. Not sure exactly what I am going to do as of yet. I have mentioned to my SO maybe we could take it easy and watch movies since we do not have anything planned. I am not sure I want to put myslef in that scenario yet. I have a tendency to be jealous of others and that has been a problem in the past. Also for some reason I get social anxiety when it comes to events where there is a lot of drinking going on so I start early so by the time I get there the alcohol has made me more at ease. I am known for being the lively party girl so I am sure there will be a lot of raised eyebrows especially since my craxy alcohol induced behavior last weekend. I do not want to put myself up to be judged by other people. I am also still finding it hard to grasp the fact that I cannot drink at all. But for the last several years I have tried the "I will only have 2" but it never works because one it gets into my system I dont stop. For me right now I am going to try not to put myself in the situation at all. I am working on finding a sponsor as well so when the time comes I will have someone to help get me strong when I feel weak.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm a bit nervous about it as well. I know for me, I am going to try not to get too mixed up with all the other drinkers because I'm just scared that it might stir up some anxious feelings in me. Sometimes in early sobriety, it is better not to be in situations that are filled with drinking. I know there is a lot to do that doesn't involve drinking on this holiday and we can still have fun. We are strong enough to pull thru this without dragging ourselves to the ground.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yea I know I dont want to spend my holiday feeling like crap from a hangover. It is strange though bc when you surround most of the holidays and life experiences (sadness, grief, lonely, bored, happy) with alcohol , you dont know what else you should/ could be doing. Sometimes I ask myself, "Ok so what do the people who dont have a problems with alcohol or who just dont drink at all, what do they do? " I am ready to be one of those people but I am scared in the same respect becuase it is what I have know for so long now.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is scary because you're learning to live life in a different way but it offers so much joy because you can actually experience things that have been hidden for so long. So many new doors open up. Footsteps in the right direction and all of the promises will be fulfilled in our lives. We will actually be able to experience the joy of living.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am 100% scared to death! I'm just coming out of a relapse, which makes this even harder. I don't want to drink on the 4th, but other than New Year's Eve, it's the holiday I associate most with parties and drinking. I have to go to a family picnic, and they all drink like fish. I am going to try to get my sponsor or sober buddy to go with me and hold me accountable. But I'm sooooo scared. I wish I didn't have to do this.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StaceyL1975
Is anyone else nervous about Independence Day? It's a holiday that I have always associated with drinking. I'm not worried that I will drink, just that I will be crawling out of my skin that day.

I have the whole day planned with activities for me, my husband and my daughter, but at night we are supposed to meet up with friends (who drink heavily) for fireworks. Should I avoid the situation with them entirely, ie, make up an excuse not to go, or go and try to act normal?

(((Stacy))) Welcome to SoberRecovery.Myself,I am not nervous at all.On the fourth,I will be around my friends from AA/NA.In my opinion spending the evening hanging around people who like to drink is a bad idea for someone with 4 days.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well...

as a non drinker...I never choose to be aroud drinkers.

During my many attemps to stay sober...I still hung around vars and drinking friends. And I always joined the drinkers!

Only when I stayed completely away was I able to stay in sobriety.

On Sat and Sun I will attend my regular AA meetings at noon and have lunch with other sober friends.

My home group is hosting a cookout on the 4th. 5/6 hours of fwellowship amd games and food. We will have a vlast!
Old 06-30-2005, 05:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Smile

I tried to live my usual life when I was in early sobriety and went to a few parties and such where people were drinking. It was not a good decision. I am very lucky that I was able to fight the urge to join them and not pick up a drink, but I no longer feel the need to put myself through that. However, I will also not be a hermit and avoid social situations altogether. This 4th, I will be going to a HUGE cookout/party hosted by one of the women in AA, then I will go to my usual Monday evening meeting at the women's treatment center in town, and then I will take a few of the women from there to see the fireworks. My suggestion to those of you in early sobriety is to make plans, but be sure those plans do not involve hanging around people who drink. Remember, everyone who has acheived sobriety had to go through all the holidays for the first time at some point. It is hard, but it can be done. Then the next year is just that much easier!

Hang in there, guys and gals!

Hugs--
Old 06-30-2005, 07:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Support our Troops.

I am looking forward to our dual holiday weekend. My wife and I were married 26 years ago on July 1, 1979. This will be the first clean/sober anniversary we have ever celebrated.

The fourth of July has always been my favorite holiday as we are very patriotic. This will be the first 4th clean/sober for me since 1971. We will be staying away from the party crowds this year as we don’t want to be tempted.

Our son is on deployment in the Pacific Ocean in the US Navy. So this year we will just enjoy our sobriety together, just the two of us. I know that sounds boring. We will find something to do! grin
Old 06-30-2005, 08:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Future Philanthropist

Happy Anniversary Plano!!! Sounds like you have the *perfect* plan for the wknd

And tell your son 'Thanks!'.

Well, I'm working ALL weekend, so from noon-midnight I know where I'll be Sat Sun and Mon LOL. Sucks that I'm working, but I s'pose it does make it easier to not worry about situations. I'll call it a blessing in disguise... I dont avoid people who drink, but wont miss it if I'm not there. Besides, Philly is being overrun with the Live 8 concert this weekend, and most of the locals I know are scattering like flies, anyway. I haven't remembered this many "I'm going out of towns" since I was in Atlanta for the '96 Olympics (where EVERYBODY split town).

Gonna find me a sparkler and a case of Ginger Ale... Party on, Garth!