It ended (for real this time) with a bang

Old 06-29-2005, 07:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It ended (for real this time) with a bang

Well, after two months of quasi-successful friendship with my exABF, I think it finally ended last night, as in I probably won't be talking to him again. I'm still not sure why I did it - maybe in the sake of honesty, maybe to force the issue - but I told him I was going on a date this Thus.

He tried to forbid me to go, and told me that if I went on this date, that he would never speak to me again. I said, what am I waiting for? If I wait another month for you, what's going to be different? He didn't have an answer.

I don't think he was even listening to me - he kept going on and on about things that really didn't have any bearing in reality or a resolution to the situation at hand. Finally, I said if that's the way it's going to be, why wait until Thursday - let's just say good bye now.

I'll tell you though, the clarity I felt was great - I could feel the oppressive manipulation bearing down on me, and I pattently rejected it.

I regret the way this is ending - I wish we could've found a way to remain friends. And I do understand how it could be painful to watch me date other men, I've gotta give him that one. But I know this is the right thing. There were no tears after we hung up the phone, just a deep breath and a sense of peace.

Anyway, in an effort to truly put all this behind me, I probably won't be coming back here anymore. I'm tired of dwelling in it. I'm 99.9999% convinced at this point (maybe with a little more work) that I'm capable of allowing a healthy relationship with a healthy man, and am looking forward to that possibility, be it in the near future or in the distant future (I'm in no raging hurry - biological tick very quiet at this point).

I promise I will keep on my development - I always have been and always will be an avid reader of "self help" books, among others.

Finally, a sincere thank you to all of you here. Every one of you is courageous beyond words... and the way you willingly open up your hearts to everyone else on this board...I can only say that it is a quality that will only serve the universe well.

and now my usual sign off, that never quite seemed appropriate on this board,

Cheers, all ~

Gwen
Old 06-29-2005, 07:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Gwen)))

Do what you need to do. And only you know what that is. I wish you a long and happy life and hope you've picked up some useful tips during your time here.

I'll miss you, but I totally understand.

Love

Minnie
xxx
Old 06-29-2005, 10:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

Wow, I could have written you post; the part about his reaction when you told him about moving on and dating someone else. Sounds SO familiar.

I wish you would'nt go. Sometimes I feel this board is very useful, but at the same time keeps me dwelling on him.

((((((hugs))))))

I will miss your posts!!!
Old 06-29-2005, 11:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

gwen - good luck to you and maybe you can pop in from time to time and let us know how you are doing?!
Old 06-29-2005, 11:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Best of luck to you and may God bless you!
Old 06-29-2005, 12:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I feel the way you do sometimes Gwen....but I think once sucked.... in the potential may always be there. I keep coming back to see all my friends at SR getting healthier everyday. It's amazing! My greatest sense of joy is seeing folks go from incredible pain to amazing recovery.....you my friend are a fine example of what I mean. Good luck and much happiness to you.
Love, Patty
Old 06-29-2005, 01:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Gwen...

You will be missed here!!!

I hope you might come back from time to time to share the good stuff in your life with those of us who might benefit from hearing it!

As I've heard in Al-Anon meetings:

When you're feeling bad, you need a meeting. When you're feeling good, a meeting needs you...

Whatever you choose, I wish you love, peace, serenity and joy!

NCP
Old 06-29-2005, 01:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I wish you well .
Old 06-29-2005, 05:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I wish you would'nt go. Sometimes I feel this board is very useful, but at the same time keeps me dwelling on him.
yes,i have felt that way too. but then when i think about not coming back, i think about the people who have supported me here. i know alot of times i read things and then end up still speaking about my stuff.......and i feel bad about that sometimes, but yet maybe in some way it does help the other person.

whatever you end up doing or not doing here, i hope that things go very well for you--------and that you find that inner peace and closure we all so desire.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I just wanted to add something.

I left my ex in December and moved away in March. I considered not continuing with Al-anon and SR. But I realised that both are for (and about) ME, not him. Also, and perhaps more importantly, the only reason that I am in a healthier place now is because of those that have been before me and shared their E, S & H. It would be pretty churlish of me not to do the same for others. If there weren't people in here and at Al-anon who were at different stages of recovery, they would both tumble like a house of cards. I have to be careful not to dwell on my crappy stuff from the past and focus on the recovery and I don't always get the balance right for my own emotional health. But learning that balance is part of my recovery too.