Tried to go to a meeting

Old 06-28-2005, 09:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tried to go to a meeting

Hello Everyone, Many blessings first off....

Sunday after work I thought I should go to my first meeting. I was scared but ready to find others in my area that were going through the same things as my family. I got to the church and there were a few people standing outside. I asked them if this is were the Alanon meetings were. They said yes. I asked them if they were with the group and they said no we are with the AA group. I waited for 20 min and no one from the Alanon group showed up. The AA group said I could join them, but I really did not feel comfortable at that time with going to the AA meeting. SO I took the next step to go to a meeting and there was no-one. What luck! (NOT)

I don't know what to do, I think I might try again next Sunday and see if anyone shows up. I don't know yet what I am going to do. I live in a very small town and the next town which is 45 min away is on Monday nights and I work every Mon. night so I can't go to that one.

SO if you don't mind I guess you all our stuck with me here on this board. :-)
I am glad I can at least come here and talk to you. I hope you don't mind me posting alot when things are going on....

I have some things I need to say now, but this is so long already I will end it and post at a later time.

Thanks again for all the support.
Blessings
Old 06-28-2005, 09:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

NBC -

Is there a local Alanon office in your area? I'd call it and tell your experience and then ask to have someone from your area call you..They can tell you about the meeting.

I'm sorry no one was there.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Heck yes you can come here and write it all out whenever! That's what it's for and doing just that has helped me many times.

Yes try calling the office and you know if they don't show up next time I figure GO to the AA one it's the next best thing and they already will understand :- )

best wishes
cloudy
Old 06-28-2005, 09:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

NBC,

Good to see you again! I'm sorry to hear that your first meeting went that way. I don't know if this helps or not, but my first one was an empty room too. I was fortunate enough though that a very nice lady came out from the AA room and asked me to join them. I was reluctant at first, but it was a worthwhile experience. I was there for a reason, just like things are happening in your life for a reason.

I'm not going to give you any advice, but I will share my story. I did find other meetings to go to and for about 2 months I went. I think I was going to about 2-3 meetings a week, and things at home actually starting getting worse, instead of better?!?! I was actually getting more insane and unreasonable. It didn't make sense. I took a step back from Al-anon for a few weeks, and then tried again, same thing. For whatever reason, I just wasn't ready for the message that the meetings were trying to send. That was about 3 months ago, and I still haven't made it back, BUT... I did find SR, and it has helped me to finally "hear" the Al-anon message, and actually figure out ways to live it.

How I work the program is completely up to me. I know my life is getting better so I don't worry that my way may not be exactly how others would do it. I don't have a sponsor... I have all the wonderful folks here at SR. I haven't worked the steps, as far as putting them on paper, but I know that in my heart I'm probably in the midst of a Step 4.

I guess my point is that there is no one right way to heal. It's different for each of us because we are all different! God gives to each of us exactly what we need and can handle!

I hope no matter what your path is that you keep working towards your own happiness!
Shannon
Old 06-28-2005, 10:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Awwwwwwwww...how disappointing!

Take a look at this link: Al-Anon in Missouri

And there's contact numbers here: Contact Info

Perhaps this can help you find a meeting that really exists! Don't give up, Al-anon really works!
Old 06-28-2005, 12:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Too bad you didnt sit in on the AA meeting. You could have learned alot of alcoholism. Next time, try it......
Old 06-28-2005, 12:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will go to the links and maybe I will sit in on the AA meeting if no-one shows up.

Again thanks
Old 06-28-2005, 04:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

I live in a rural area and I've gone to a few alanon meetings where no-one has shown up. It feels so discouraging when that happens. Keep trying - I've been told that sometimes attendance is poor during the summer.

And keep looking for other meetings. My favorite meeting is in a location an hour away from my home town, but I don't mind driving there because the group is amazing.

Robin