Courage to Change ~ June 27

Old 06-27-2005, 05:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
This is NOT my first Rodeo

Courage to Change ~ June 27

Courage to Change ODAT in Al-Anon II 6/27

One day I received a call from a newcomer to Al-Anon. We chatted for a while, and then he asked if I would consider being his sponsor. I was shocked! I never expected anyone to ask me! I felt deeply humbled and ecstatically grateful at the same time.

But had I grown sufficiently to offer help to someone else? Did I have anything to give? Could I be there for someone else without losing myself? Fear took over for a minute, but then I remembered that he was not asking me to be his savior, only his helper, whose example and experience might lead him to his own recovery.

I know that my Higher Power brings people into my life who can help me to grow. So I said a quick prayer, asking to be worthy, and answered that I would be honored to be his sponsor.

Today’s Reminder

Being a sponsor is as much a commitment to myself as it is to someone else. It is not a favor. Sponsorship gives me a chance to share intimately, to care, to practice detaching with love, and to apply the Al-Anon principles more consciously than ever. And, if I listen to my own words, I find that I usually tell those whom I sponsor exactly what I myself need to hear.

“Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.”

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Old 06-27-2005, 05:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
This is NOT my first Rodeo

For those of us who have been in the program for awhile, coming here to SR and sharing our experience, strength and hope is a bit like sponsorship.

Sponsorship gives me a chance to share intimately, to care, to practice detaching with love, and to apply the Al-Anon principles more consciously than ever. And, if I listen to my own words, I find that I usually tell those whom I sponsor exactly what I myself need to hear.
I know that each time I respond to one of your posts, I am reaching within myself. Sometimes I have a similar experience, more often than not I have had a similar feeling. Many times, after I read and respond, I have to reflect as well.

All of you help and bless me more than you can ever know... and for that I am incredibly grateful. And that's how we help one another in Al Anon!

TBK
Old 06-27-2005, 12:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

BeesKnees!

I like your sig line which you attribute to your "wise sponsor".

We just might have the same sponsor, from the sound of it...

Peace!