Alternative healing??

Old 06-27-2005, 12:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alternative healing??

Does anyone know of any links or groups, etc. which deal with alcohol rehab in a new alternative way??I know it sounds pointless, but I know AA is not an option and most rehabs are so expensive or from the same thread. Even a book that sounds different from the norm would be great........
Old 06-27-2005, 03:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Lightbulb Hi

Here is alink that night help.

http://rrci.net/recovery_spectrum.htm
Old 06-27-2005, 12:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

amber,

Out of curiosity, why are AA and traditional rehabs not options in your situation?

Just wondering...
Old 06-27-2005, 01:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There is a good book I read several years ago entitled Many Roads, One Journey: Moving Beyond the 12 Steps, written by Charlotte Kasl. I seem to remember that she included contact info for some alternative approaches to attaining sobriety. Her own approach is particularly feminist in nature, if that makes any difference to you.

However, I should probably say that, at the time I read it, I too, thought that I (agnostic, lesbian, feminist) could never stomach a 12 Step program. Now I'm proud to say that I am a very grateful member of Al Anon. I am also, however, a big proponent of the "take what you like and leave the rest" principle. The truly amazing thing (to me) about most 12 Step groups I've attended is that when they say "take what you like and leave the rest," they really mean it and practice it and are just fine about everyone else's practicing it, too. That's really pretty amazing (and rare) in this world.

Hope you can find the Kasl and find it helpful --
freya
Old 06-27-2005, 05:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I used acupuncture to get myself off cocaine. It worked really well except that it didn't teach me anything about addiction. I stopped cocaine but I just switched seats on The Titanic by substituting alcohol.

Hope you find something that works for you. Like Freya, I used the 12 Steps and the message of "taking what you want and leaving the rest" worked miracles in my life.