Feelin' like a big jerk...

Old 06-21-2005, 05:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feelin' like a big jerk...

I posted yesterday about not calling abf in if he ever took my vehicle again I'd call him in. I still mean that and luckily it never happened. I crossed the line a bit a different way though and I feel really bad this morning.

He came home last night and had a couple beers. I wasn't impressed but didn't say too much about it. He then went out for about an hour and when he came home he was showing what I took to be the classic signs of intoxication. Red bloodshot, half shut eyes. Moving around really slowly. Kind of um... limp for lack of a better term. I imagine you've all seen it. I was really angry partly due to the weekend, so I lost it and started being a real jerk. I couldn't understand how he got drunk like that so fast.

So he says something about not feeling well. I said, "Have another beer, that should make you feel better," in a really sarcastic tone. Again, I was a real a$$. I thought he was just saying that because he knew I was angry. Well to make a long story short, turns out he really is sick. Next thing I know he's in the bathroom throwing up more than I've ever heard anyone throw up. This guy has an iron stomach. I've seen him drink enough to drop an elephant and not be sick so I'm pretty sure it wasn't alcohol. Plus he had a good case of the you-know-whats too.

I feel really bad for treating him that way while he was sick. I did apologize and tried to help him when I realized he was actually sick.

If there was ever a time I wish I had a rewind button to take a few things back, today would be the day to use it. I feel terrible! Lesson for yesterday, don't jump to conclusions.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Don't feel bad. If he wasn't a creature of habit, you wouldn't have reacted that way. It's not entirely your fault.

Don't go overboard showing him how bad you feel. Just do you best to help "soothe" his illness.

Could be that he ate or drank something that didn't quite agree with him too.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You're not alone and at least you had reasons to think what you did.

An old workmates Dad had a heart attack in the city centre. He's your stereotypic chemistry proffessor, a bit crumpled and thick glasses - but none the less in a suit and tie. He couldn't get anyone to help him, they thought he was drunk!! Somebody must have gone beyond 'the obvious' because an ambulance was called after he lost consiousness. Luckily he survived and was fine - but the lesson is still true...
Old 06-21-2005, 09:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

Like Jessica said-Don't feel bad.

He is the one coming home drunk all the time, how are you supposed to know if he's truly sick or just drunk again?

Sometimes A's get sick from drinking to much, especially when its hot outside. Also you stated you didn't know how he got drunk so fast; A's tolerance goes up and down as the disease progresses.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think we've all done exactly what you just described, so don't be too hard on yourself... you're only human! You apologized to him, now you should let it go. You learned your lesson, no need to keep reliving it.

:-) Shannon