So proud of my son

Old 06-17-2005, 11:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

So proud of my son

Today, my son went to an AA conference. He's working really hard to maintain his sobriety. Even yesterday, he admitted to having the strong desire to get sh*t faced. No reason...just felt the need to drink.

It's been a long hard road for him. He started at 18 and is now 25. He'll celebrate 6 months sobriety on Monday.

I still worry then mentally slap myself and tell myself not to go there. I try not to allow his disease to rent space in my head. But it happens. But as time goes on, it gets easier.

We've watched him pull his health together which includes his depression. He's established in a job and they love him. He's accomplished more in the last 6 months then he has in the last 6 years.

It's one of those moments where your heart feels so full of love and hope for the future, but I know I've got to take it one day at a time. None of us knows what's going to happen tomorrow.

He's taking a vacation in a couple of weeks and will be around a lot of drinkers. I didn't come right out and say anything, but I think I heard myself say, "think long and hard about where you're going". I got the look...raised eyebrow and the "I know Mom".

So today, I will celebrate his sobriety and his desire to make it work. And I pray that other kids will be given the gift of sobriety...even if it's just one day.

Blessings
Old 06-17-2005, 11:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's wonderful ! You should definitely be proud of him. I can imagine how hard it must be to not "go there" with worry....it's kind of a mother's inclination, I think, lol.

Depression by itself is a tough hill to climb (been there) - nevermind the added difficulty of a chemical dependency. Sounds like a very strong guy !
Old 06-17-2005, 11:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

Thats awesome about your son! Especially being so young!! What an accomplishment to have 6 months sober!

Congrats to your son, gefling! :hoo
Old 06-17-2005, 11:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Kathy, how wonderful for your son to have six months of sobriety. As a mother I know you worry, we all do, so don't be too hard on yourself for that. Sounds like he has made incredible progress I am happy for all of you.
Love, Patty
Old 06-17-2005, 11:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Perfect!!
Old 06-17-2005, 11:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Excellent and fantastic all in the same day! It must be so gratifying to see him "handling his business" and enjoying his life.

High five!
Old 06-17-2005, 12:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

kathy - how proud you must be and great that you catch yourself when you go to the "bad place"! lol
Old 06-17-2005, 01:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You're both doing great. Proud of you.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

Thanks for this inspirational story. As the mother of an alcoholic, it's nice to hear that there can be a light at the end of the tunnel.

Robin
Old 06-17-2005, 05:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am the mother, too, of an alcoholic son. He's been drinking for 20+ years. He just this past week entered a long-term rehab center. I'm so happy and I'm praying so hard that it will work for him.

You can be proud of your son, and I know you are. You also know it's ONE DAY AT A TIME. We MUST be happy and proud of them for getting thru one day, and then another and hopefully many "another days".

My prayers to your son for continued strength and determination. My prayers to you for peace.

Lucybooz
Old 06-17-2005, 07:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

Thanks for responding everyone. I had to share this good fortune for my son and the happiness I am feeling today.

Robina and Lucybooz...there is hope. I never believed I would ever live to see this day and have been blessed in so many ways. We can't give up on them. Being a parent of an alcoholic child is so much more difficult than coping with an alcoholic spouse. My opinion, of course. Guess it's the blood thing.

You are in my prayers that the 2 of you will have the opportunity to see your children restored to good health and sobriety.

Blessings and Grace
Old 06-19-2005, 08:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Blessing and Grace to you too, gefling. Thank you for your well-wishes.

You are right....it IS a blood thing. No matter how angry I have been at my son, no matter how disappointed I've been with him, no matter how many times I've said, NO MORE.....I STILL HOPE AND PRAY.

I have no crystal ball, and maybe it's better that way, but I will be with him for the long haul, no matter what - he will NEVER be alone while I have breath in my body. I sometimes could cry at how alone he must have been while drinking himself to oblivion. What lonely, horrible feelings he must have had.

Again, God Bless you and your son, now and forever.

Lucybooz
Old 06-20-2005, 06:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Binge poster

Hey
So glad to hear your good news.

J
xxxxxxxxx
Old 06-20-2005, 07:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Woohoo ! You have every right to be proud - that is just great