What is a dry drunk?

Old 06-15-2005, 10:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What is a dry drunk?

One of my best friends just informed that because my AH has so many other problems coping with life he will just beome a dry drunk.

I asked her what she meant and she told me her father was a dry drunk. He was sober and was still mean like he was when he was drunk.

So it there no hope for a mean drunk if they sober up?

What is a dry drunk?
Old 06-15-2005, 10:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

The behaviors I gained and magnified because of my drinking remained when I stopped drinking. Till I started dealing with them, I would have been called a dry drunk.
When drinking my behaviors were worse then when not drinking but they still remained to a degree.
Yes there is hope and by working the steps of recovery, he will find the cure.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Rho
JstBcuz

What is a dry drunk? It was my husband. We BOTH are recovering, well I am, but before he relapsed my god he was such a mean, nasty negative person! But NOT all recovering people are dry drunks. It all depends on the person. Please don't let your friend scare you.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good articles and information here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ighlight=drunk

My ex is a dry drunk, she got sober and things just got worst. Quite a surreal experience definitly but a blessing as my path was made clear to me in one aspect.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Binge poster

Dry drunks are people who have stopped putting the addictive substance into their bodies but haven't changed the way they look at the world.

They may hide from responsiblity, resent everything that intrudes in the world they have built for themselves, hold resentments that colour their every mood, have delusions of grandeur, be entirely self centered, irrational and mean.

There is no way in the world to tell if someone who gets sober is going to be like this, and one friend's bad experience is not a predictor of your future.
You've only got today anyway, no point in worrying about things not here - they may never turn up after all, like a number 66 bus.

There isn't a lot of info around on this subject, but this one is ok...

http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/info/a/aa081397.htm

Best wishes
Jane
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx