Notices

Anyone had liver function tests done?

Old 06-14-2005, 12:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone had liver function tests done?

What does it cost roughly? I am a heavy drinker, unable to stop so far, and a couple things have been brought to my attention, reading about liver disease, I do have at least two clear symptoms, spider-like veins in the skin, appeared pretty suddenly, all over my body. Also been having some pain in my right side, read this can be caused by fatty liver, one of the three common drunk related liver problems.

Kind of spooked, no insurance, I am reasonably well off, just wondering if anyone here has been checked, and what it costs for the blood tests? 100-150 beers a week probably for just the last two years alone, gotta be hurting something. I have wrestled with wanting to die, but rotting away from booze would be pretty pathetic. Think I might check it out.

Thanks,

Dan the worried.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Card Carrying Optimist

Hi Mill, welcome to SR, glad you found your way here. There are lots of resources here in the forums as well as supportive folks who have the same problem as you and I. In response to your question, a basic liver panel can run between $25 -$35 depending on processing fees for the area lab. You may want to check out the University of Vt to see if they have a provider/medical clinic to help defray the cost of labs and health screening.

Pearl
Old 06-14-2005, 12:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dreamlike...Now

Dan,
Hey there! I have had liver function tests done after having a dull ache on my right side. I am an RN so I knew what it was, even though I tried to kid myself, telling myself it was my gallbladder...yea right.
Anyway, I do not know how much liver studies cost w/o insurance, but it is a relatively minor blood test. Do you have a family doctor? You could call the office and be straight up about the whole thing....don't kid yourself...they probably know anyway.
Good News now!!! The liver has an amazing capacity to heal!!! Once the toxin is removed it can regain function. The toxin being ALCOHOL of course.
Have you ever been to AA? AA saved my life. I was killing my liver with alcohol and pills at only 28 years old. Now I am very healthy, very happy, and best of all SOBER.
Good Luck my friend
You will find lots of folks just like u here!
Tanya
Old 06-14-2005, 01:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yep, I went for a liver panel only to find out that my enzymes were 5 times higher than normal and shocked the xray technician with it's enlargment. I was devasted! I also had pain on my right side and found out that I did have 3 big gall stones. Booze creates gall stones! I had my gall bladder removed and now I'm absolutely fine with 3 + years free of booze.

6 months with no booze and my liver panel was normal!! Milk thistle (you can buy it at health food or vitamin stores) also works wonders. However, my sister had the same problem (alcoholism, drug addiction, bad liver) She did not quit drinking and she died two years ago from liver/kidney/heart failure. Be Aware.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dear Dan,

I have had the tests and also showed elevated enzymes. I have been avoiding my Dr. lately, (not smart) but have an appointment at the end of the month and am hoping for good things. The pharmacy at our local grocery store does simple blood tests including liver profiles. Maybe you could check something like that out. I am also doing a 5 day Liver/gallbladder flush, supposed to force out any stones and help to heal the liver. Check out this website for more info. www.herbdoc.com If nothing else it will help to scare you straight. Good luck.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just a note about herbal remedies.....they should still be overseen by a licensed professional. Herbal remedies/supplements have much looser restrictions compared to FDA approved drugs....and I would not want to take them without having an informed medical opinion.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi.. I don't know about cost because I live in Canada and tests are covered, but I have had liver panels done about every 6 months for the last 5 years (as my doc watches me kill myself from alcohol .
They have always been in the normal range.. but I have heard that's not always definitive. i.e. one can have damage without the tests showing it (great, huh?!)

But normal tests are better than abnormal ones, and the liver apparently has an amazing healing capacity.

Best of luck,
Rainn
Old 06-14-2005, 04:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

a footnote to Herbal Remedies:

Many of the herbal tonics are in an alcohol base and they will give you a buzz !
Old 06-14-2005, 05:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by michski
a footnote to Herbal Remedies:

Many of the herbal tonics are in an alcohol base and they will give you a buzz !
I don't think this is true all the time. I mean drinking cranberry juice flushes the urine tracts and all too. I'm sure there are non alcoholic remedies for liver problems since alcohol is actually damaging to the liver.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you peeps, appreciate it. Lost a friend last night, in terror I did the only thing I know, I got hammered, blew her off. Ya, I need to check it out. I just feel....unhealthy.

UVM is a good idea, they always doing cheap stuff for their med students.

Dan the dumb
Old 08-25-2011, 04:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mill View Post
Thank you peeps, appreciate it. Lost a friend last night, in terror I did the only thing I know, I got hammered, blew her off. Ya, I need to check it out. I just feel....unhealthy. UVM is a good idea, they always doing cheap stuff for their med students. Dan the dumb
yo, dan . . . i can fully empathize with yours (and others') emulations / stratagems . . . do exact same thing myself . . . hurts like a ### . . . once realize what i have done. only god knows how many special friends i have lost along the way.

uninsured here also . . . really appreciated everyone's input above . . . will check out these options also.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What good is a liver function test if you do not understand what the results mean and are not in a doctors care? See a doctor.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Just letting you know that this thread is from 2005.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR pnamajck

D
Old 01-15-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome to SR pnamajck
Dee74 . . . really appreciate your greeting . . . seems you look beyond the envelope . . . into the abysmal intrepidation beyond one's jock straps . . . i commend you for that.

as you can tell . . . i do not faithfully bookmark the social sites i mark . . . perhaps this is outta' respect for others . . . or, perhaps i do it because of apprehension. at any rate . . . google led me back here today . . . lol.

in any case, Dee74 . . . really appreciated your past input . . . as well as your faculty behind the fact.

cheers, mate.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope we see more of you pnamajck - this is a good place to be...it saved my life.

D