He tried to commit suicide last night

Old 06-14-2005, 08:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

He tried to commit suicide last night

My AB was upset that I broke it off with him. He kept calling me even though I told him not to and that I'd call the police.

That didn't stop him, so I let his work know that he was calling me from there when I had asked him not to.

AB went home last night, drank and slit his wrists while in the bathtub. Thank God his brother-in-law and I both called 911 at the same time and the police got there and took him to the hospital.

His job is going to support him and help him get the help he needs. To check into rehab. I PRAY TO GOD that that was his rock bottom and that he will get the help he needs.

Please keep him in your prayers and his family! They've been through SO much over the years because of him. And, since I was up until 2:30am last night, I'm drained and shocked. I never thought he would really do something like that...........ever.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Girlfriend)))

Please know that this was not your fault. I hope you can find some peace inside.

Thinking of you all.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

The man is truly ill and needs serious help. Please find alanon meetings for you and see if his family would like to go with you. Counselling would help.

Get some rest. Blessings and prayers.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh I'm so sorry you're going through this ! I agree with the pp that said that he's very sick - and this ISN'T your fault. Please take care of yourself.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much!

He called me from the hospital this morning and told me how he slit his wrist from the inside (one,......all the way up to his elbow) and told me " I have two new scars with your name on them".

WHOA! I am in total disbelief and shock. I know I didn't put that knife in his hand, he did that. But, to think that he's that sick, to me, it's scary.

I know it's a huge cry out for attention. He didn't cut himself deep enough for stitches. But, if he doesn't get help......he could do it deeper next time and not tell anybody that he's doing it.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

This is where you'll have to learn the meaning of detachment. Try and not let it get to you. Hard, I know...but you can get through this.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Im soooo sorry, and yes my prayers are with you.

Master manuplation. I pray he gets the help he needs but you have to remember this is not your chaos, HE IS SICK.

For you, you might not want to take his calls anymore, that is more manuplation then one person should have to handle. Everyone knows now the lengths he will go to ... so they will watch for it. Pray for him and yep... hard as it is you might want to detach from this

*HUGS*
Old 06-14-2005, 10:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Michelle

Cynay is right!!

You would be better off getting call display or something like that so that you do not have to take his phone calls. He is trying to make you feel guilty and it is not your fault. The others are right, he is very sick. My thoughts are with you.
Michelle
Old 06-14-2005, 10:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know it's a huge cry out for attention. He didn't cut himself deep enough for stitches. But, if he doesn't get help......he could do it deeper next time and not tell anybody that he's doing it.
Be VERY careful!! This is deep stuff, try not to let it force you into the attention because eventually you will withdraw leaving him one deadly piece of knowledge how to get your attention back.

Please get counselling - you need a proffesional opinion to give you the confidence to react in the best way possible for you (which is most likely best for him too).
Old 06-14-2005, 12:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This may sound like the wrong question to ask, but I'm needing to know.

Why me? What is it about me that would "make" this man "not want to live" if he can't have me?

He's had other loves in his life. A wife for 10 years that had 3 daughters with him, but left him for his alcoholism over 10 years ago. She's remarried now and has been for about 6 years.

A couple of girlfriends that he lived with for certain periods of time. One was a coke addict and they fought alot and broke up.

Surely, I'm not this "special Love" of his so much so that he would try to kill himself because I left.

Is it because I'm too trusting, too caring, too co-dependant?

I always gave in when we'd fight over the last past 10 months. I'd listen to him cry or he'd call repeatedly and I'd weaken and go back to dating him (we don't live together). This last time, I didn't. I kept telling him that I wasn't gonna take it anymore and I meant what I said and I left and he knew it this time. He knew I was (am) serious.

The breakups in his past.......he'd be hurt over, but he'd move on and never has cut his wrists before over. (I know because I've checked with his family and his old girlfriends. A couple of which are old friends of mine because we all went to school together). So, besides distancing myself from him....which I'm doing and looking forward to, so that I can focus on myself again....what is it that I need to stop doing? Enabling him? His wife did that for years and so did his ex-live in's.

Was I just a security blanket for him? Meaning, that........now that I'm out of the picture and while he's in rehab, he'll probably will be looking for a new one?

I'm going to counseling. Just started and will continue to go.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

IMHO

This is not really about you. He is sick and you happen to be in the picture at the point his sickness is progressing.

I agree this one is touchy, you need to get professional help with this one.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hairs on the back of my neck stood straight up... Please be careful! He sounds quite manipulative.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Actually, GF, its not about you. Not at all.

Its all about him.

Its called obsession. Its HIS problem, your just the target.

Get the help suggested to you here.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

((((Girlfriend)))) What a terrible thing! I agree with everyone here, none of it is about you, and certainly none if it is any fault of yours. He needs some serious help and if I were you, I'd get as far away from him as you can. Don't even accept his calls. He needs some time to heal and there's nothing you can do to help him. Please talk to someone for yourself as well. This is definitely a situation for a proffesional.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Girlfriend
I always gave in when we'd fight over the last past 10 months. I'd listen to him cry or he'd call repeatedly and I'd weaken and go back to dating him (we don't live together). This last time, I didn't. I kept telling him that I wasn't gonna take it anymore and I meant what I said and I left and he knew it this time. He knew I was (am) serious.
That's why you. Because you set your boundary and he's upped the stakes. It is manipulation, but it must be so scary. Please make sure you have lots of support around you. If he calls and threatens again, do what you did this time and call the police. This is too big for you to handle. And don't, whatever you do, give in. Because he will know in the future that all he has to do to keep you trapped is to do this again.

Take care hon

Love

Minnie
xxx
Old 06-14-2005, 03:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cynay
IMHO

This is not really about you. He is sick and you happen to be in the picture at the point his sickness is progressing.
Took the words right out of my mouth. If it wasn't you - it would have been someone else.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

maybe he didnt do it with the other girls because his disease has progressed so much. or maybe hes just really scared that he has got to change or no one will ever have him. who knows..............but yes, the advice here is very good, please listen and dont let him manipulate you at all. he is responsible for his own self.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

IMO..the scratches on his arms are minor. Why no stitches?
The major problems are addiction and his effort to control you.

My suggestions ...change your land phone and have it unlisted. Change your cell and vlock his e mails.
Stay away from him and his friends/family.

I am so pleased you are going to a professional!
Old 06-15-2005, 10:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I really dont know what to say. I agree with the others. This is his problem and he is sick. I am thinking of you, hang in there.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Be careful! This sounds a bit scary!