Top of the gratitude list!!

Old 06-10-2005, 06:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Top of the gratitude list!!

At the top of my list of things to be thankful for would lie one thing:

I can talk about my feelings easily and ask for help.

Because of that I can get:
help from friends
wisdom from all the people I know
kindness
the empathy of others
support
words that break through walls of isolation
medical help when I need it
demonstrations of caring just because I needed one

And so much, so much more.....

I just wanted to spare a thought for people who read here but who find talking so much harder. I know that my being able to do it isn't because I'm any better a person or even more brave - I think it was just a few twists of fate that got the ball rolling. Once rolling no-one has yet discovered how to shut me up!!

Once it's begun, once we share and feel the benefit of what comes back it gets easier and easier. Small steps in the begining are fine, or even the opening of a floodgate, what matters is that as many people as possible get the chance to begin.

All of us who are able to share here are IMMENSLY lucky - for some it will always seem just too hard.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

equus aka (gormless) - i am one of those folks who find it hard sometimes, well i guess most times, altho i am doing better. but i am working on the issues that contributed to that (growing up in an alcoholic family being one of them). maybe someday i will be able to express myself as eloquently as you seem to, but for now i guess i have to be happy at my little squirts and spurts here!
Old 06-10-2005, 07:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cwohio
equus aka (gormless) - i am one of those folks who find it hard sometimes, well i guess most times, altho i am doing better. but i am working on the issues that contributed to that (growing up in an alcoholic family being one of them). maybe someday i will be able to express myself as eloquently as you seem to, but for now i guess i have to be happy at my little squirts and spurts here!
cwohio - eloquence and verbal diarrhoea (or in my case out and out dysentry) shouldn't be confused!! That said judging by how much sense you talk I look forward hearing you talk more and more.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i love that you can pour it all out - and you do have an eloquent yet direct way of expressing just what is going on in your life, your head and your heart! keep it up - maybe that will give me some incentive!
Old 06-10-2005, 07:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Equus, that is definitely something to be grateful for, being able to come here and talk. And I have yet to hear anyone do it badly (yeah that means you too CW:- ) (and CW I LOVE stopping in to see what cat pictures you have for the day :- )

For me, I think it's easy to talk on the boards because nobody knows who I am. So I have extra super anonymity here.

However, at Alanon face to face I also feel pretty comfortable talking, and that is because A) I'm desperate I need all the help I can get! and B) there really is just this instant fellowship because everyone is really there for the same reason when it comes to it.