Notices

Alcoholism and Personality Shift

Old 06-09-2005, 08:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholism and Personality Shift

I read in a book that a long term alcoholic has a shift in personality. They'll develop a whole new persona based on the effects of the alcohol on their persona. It also said this new personality is present even when sober.

The book also said that this new personality takes in info and misinterprets and the response is not what your original persona would do or react. Maybe an example would be reacting to situations in bad form, bad decisions, etc, etc.

I'd like to know if this true. IF so, how long does it take to get back to your own persona when you become sober.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome!

Gee...there is a lot of information concerning the disease of alcoholism. I think there is no 'one size fits all' answer.

Alcoholics Amonymous has their Big Book. I suggest you read it. Old fashion language but I find it all I need for a sober life. Also has a chapter 'To The Wives' in case you are one.

IMO everyone changes their personalities as they grow.
What a teen does is not what one does at 30/40/60.
Nothing to do with alcohol.

I hope you find your answers..
Old 06-09-2005, 12:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Welcome.

I don't know. I do know that I have an alcoholic personality,attitudes, ect. I have never reacted very well to life, until I found a recovery program and began to change. Was I born with this disease? I believe so. I don't struggle with the question, the important thing, for me, is I know I've got it.
Bless,Trish
Old 06-09-2005, 05:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It took me a few months for the emotional roller coaster to stop. Then about a year for me to confident, reasonable and not so dramatic. Now with 3 years I gotta tell you I really like myself and my life is oh so very good.
I'm an alcoholic and I can never drink that crap again... As long as I just don't drink I can handle all life's problems and neither my friends or I will ever have to deal with that "other" personality again. I am a grateful product of the 12 Steps of AA