Notices

Relapse signs and symptoms

Old 06-08-2005, 10:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

Relapse signs and symptoms

Relapse Signs and Symptoms
Experiencing Post Acute Withdrawal: I start having problems with one or more of the following; thinking difficulties, emotional overreaction problems, sleep disturbances, memory difficulties, becoming accident prone, and/or starting to experience a serious sensitivity to stress.

Return To Denial: I stop telling others what I’m thinking/feeling and start trying to convince myself or others that everything is all right, when in fact it is not.

Avoidance And Defensive Behavior: I start avoiding people who will give me honest feedback and/or I start becoming irritable and angry with them.

Starting To Crisis Build: I start to notice that ordinary everyday problems become overwhelming and no matter how hard I try, I can’t solve my problems.

Feeling Immobilized (Stuck): I start believing that there is nowhere to turn and no way to solve my problems. I feel trapped and start to use magical thinking.

Becoming Depressed: I start feeling down-in-the dumps and have very low energy. I may even become so depressed that I start thinking of suicide.

Compulsive And/Or Impulsive Behaviors (Loss Of Control): I start using one or more of the following- food, sex, caffeine, nicotine, work, gambling, etc. often in an out of control fashion. And/or I may react without thinking of the consequences of my behavior on myself and others.

Urges And Cravings (Thinking About Drinking/Using): I begin to think that alcohol/drug use is the only way to feel better. I start thinking about justifications to drink/use and convince myself that using is the logical thing to do.

Chemical Loss Of Control (Drinking/Using): I find myself drinking/using again to solve my problems. I start to believe that “it’s all over ‘till I hit bottom, so I may as well enjoy this relapse while it’s good.” My problems continue to get worse.

Adapted from Terence T. Gorski's Warning Sign Identification Process

THE TEN MOST COMMON RELAPSE DANGERS
1. Being in the presence of drugs or alcohol, drug or alcohol users, or places where you used or bought chemicals.

2. Feelings we perceive as negative, particularly anger; also sadness, loneliness, guilt, fear, and anxiety.

3. Positive feelings that make you want to celebrate.

4. Boredom.

5. Getting high on any drug.

6. Physical pain.

7. Listening to war stories and just dwelling on getting high.

8. Suddenly having a lot of cash.

9. Using prescription drugs that can get you high even if you use them properly.

10. Believing that you no longer have to worry (complacent). That is, that you are no longer stimulated to crave drugs/alcohol by any of the above situations, or by anything else – and therefore maybe it’s safe for you to use occasionally.

RELAPSE ATTITUDES

SOBRIETY IS BORING
I’LL NEVER DRINK/USE AGAIN
I CAN DO IT MYSELF
I’M NOT AS BAD AS …..
I OWE THIS ONE TO ME
MY PROBLEMS CAN’T BE SOLVED
I WISH I WAS HAPPY
I DON’T CARE
IF NOBODY ELSE CARES, WHY SHOULD I?
THINGS HAVE CHANGED
I CAN SUBSTITUTE
THEY DON’T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT
THERE’S GOT TO BE A BETTER WAY
I CAN’T CHANGE THE WAY I THINK
IF I MOVE, EVERYTHING WILL CHANGE
I LIKE MY OLD FRIENDS
I CAN DO THINGS DIFFERENTLY
NOBODY NEEDS TO KNOW HOW I FEEL
I’M DEPRESSED
I SEE THINGS MY WAY ONLY
I FEEL HOPELESS
I CAN HANDLE IT
IF I HIDE BEHIND EVERYONE ELSE’S PROBLEMS, I WON’T
HAVE TO FACE MY OWN
I CAN’T DO IT
WHY TRY

THE EVENT: A RETURN TO THE USE OF ALCOHOL AND/OR DRUGS.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Jack

Hi y'all...I've always heard and believed a relapse starts long before we pick up that first drink or drug. The list above puts it well. It defines what I have to guard against every day. Thanks for the list. God bless.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

your welcome...when i let my gaurd down for even a minute i'm in big trouble!
Old 06-08-2005, 11:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
knucklehead

Although I dont completly agree with all of what you have stated here. I am glad to have read your thread. It does have alot of truth. Thanks and keep on keepin on.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great info Wanda.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
knucklehead

Wendy, thanks for this one. I like to read it once in while, like just now. I have found some helpfull insites here. I am only human and I do have my moments of the crazy cravings.They can still be so overwhelming at times that honestly; I am tempted. The good nows is I am learning to just accept them as part of the load I need to carry to live a happy life. Other good news I dont have them as often as I used to when I first seperated the contents of the bottle from me. peace and love
Old 06-10-2005, 04:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hi there, great post. We all hear this in treatment, well, I mean if you have been to treatment, I know some have not, and that EVEN makes this post that much BETTER!! I think this should be made a STICKEY??? Thanks Wantneeda Love, Becky
Old 06-11-2005, 08:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
saved 2 serve

My Cycle of Self

[QUOTE=wantneeda]
Starting To Crisis Build: I start to notice that ordinary everyday problems become overwhelming and no matter how hard I try, I can’t solve my problems.

Feeling Immobilized (Stuck): I start believing that there is nowhere to turn and no way to solve my problems. I feel trapped and start to use magical thinking.

Becoming Depressed: I start feeling down-in-the dumps and have very low energy. I may even become so depressed that I start thinking of suicide.

"God give me the strength to break free!!!"
Old 06-11-2005, 11:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

Welcome to Sr memphslc!!!!
i think thats a good thing you did in your post!!! to go and pick out where we think we are in the process. Iwas told if i don't feel right in my recovery it's time to start working!!! and i don't necessarily mean at a job, but, harder on my recovery. I have to work that much harder to learn, to grow.
so, if you're feeling overwhelmed? Stuck? and feeling depressed? be still in the moment, let go of all the thoughts you have at the moment. God will give you the strength, its in your heart, Go there!! All we have to do is ask, and be open to it!!
If i have too much on my plate, it seems that i want to take the easier, softer way to escape, thats when using thoughts attack me. Thats when i have to fight the hardest! Call some one, share!!!!! Spending too much time in my own head alone is a dangerous place to be!!
It was suggested to me when i have too much to do to write each thing down on a separate piece of paper...put them all in a hat. Pull out one and do the best i can to work on that one, take another from the hat, and so on.
How long have you been sober??
keep coming back!!!
hugs & hugs Wendy
Old 06-12-2005, 12:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yeah that rings so true. Thanks for this thread.

indigo
Old 06-12-2005, 05:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Stopping the tornado

Wendy,
Thank you for always taking the time to post information like this. I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your posts and the sobriety you bring to this board.
Lisa
Old 06-12-2005, 11:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Wendy..

I hope you dont mind..I found this just now in my files. Some members might want to add it to their data base. Thanks for starting this thread.

PAWS.....

http://www.tlctx.com/ar_pages/paw_part1.htm
Old 06-12-2005, 11:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

Mind?!? Don't be silly Carol, add as much as you like!!!!
it's a we thing!!!
hugs & hugs Wendy