Notices

Help! New! Single Father !

Old 06-08-2005, 08:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help! New! Single Father !

I looked everywhere and this may not be the place to ask but I really do need help. I am a single father of three girls 6,9, 12.
I used to drive a truck and their mother started using crack. I put up with alot until my daughters were staying home by themselves while I was working and she was out doing God only knows what and where.
We have managed fine after I left. Been on our own for the last nearly 2 years.
Kids are happy and I am happy.
This is the problem. I just relocated for a new job. End of school year perfect timing right?? Read on. I don't know anybody here. My oldest daughter comes in my room last night and says Dad it's time. I'm completely off guard counting change for the coke machine on the job. OK time for what honey. Dad I have to have a bra.
Things move in slow motion change falls my world has stopped.
Alright it's sort of my fault . I met her mom and had to have her because of those things and they were passed on. Today I don't like those things as much as I used to now that they are mingling with my daughter.
I am a 6 ft 3 black man and I think I may stand out in that dept. at the store.
I don't know what she needs . I am in so much trouble here!! I did not want this to even happen and now I don't even want to think about it now that it is happening. Would I be a bad father if I take her to the counter where I see a nice lady and just kind of drop her off?
Old 06-08-2005, 09:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dreamlike...Now

BigEzell,
Hi! You sound like you have alot to manage...three girls..goodness! You've got a lot in store for you!
Do you have a JC Penney nearby..I see you are in Lousisiana so you should...? Take her there and the women who work in the lingerie dept. will measure her and get her a bra that fits and it won't cost much. That is where I took my stepdaughter. They were super. I'm sure you are not the first and won't be the last!
Welcome to SR
Tanya
Old 06-08-2005, 09:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't care how much it costs. I just don't want to have to participate. I feel very uncomfortable .
Old 06-08-2005, 09:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Any department store will have ladies working there that will help her. Just take her to the counter, explain, and go look at the mens section. Tell her to meet you when she is done somewhere. She will likley be more comfortable too! LOL.... This does not make you seem bad at all. :-)
Old 06-08-2005, 09:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

LOL, they're all right...any store will have someone willing to help her find the right bra. And any woman would understand why you wouldn't know what to do for her - after all, YOU don't wear one!
Old 06-08-2005, 09:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You don't sound bad in the least. Of course on the lighter side you could go to your next option just let her run around in a little t shirt all summer without a bra ? LOL
Old 06-08-2005, 09:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Just A Diva With A Purpose

Hey Big---you sound like a supah dupah Dad--your ladies are lucky to have a stand up guy in their life. Dillards dept. store also have women who are trained "fitters"--they know exactly what to do. Now, keep us posted--first comes development, then comes menstruation. It's a girl thing---but, I got a feeling you can deal. You made my day. Blessings, Queenshenique
Old 06-08-2005, 09:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Point taken babeekj. No little tshirts without a bra. My god I nearly passed out when I read that.
Queen please don't go there . I may just put her on and let her make her own thread when it's that time.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
9:40 5K

I've been buying bras for myself for 20 years and I still need the ladies' help in the store. Leave it to the experts.

It sounds like you are a wonderful, strong dad.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I hate the fact that she is looking grown. I'm used to her acting grown. I guess with the way her mother was she had to grow up fast.
She came to me and was so matter of fact about the whole thing. She's not uncomfortable at all! Am I wrong to be a little worried about that?
Old 06-08-2005, 10:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I sent you some advice in a private message... I hope that helps. Feel free to PM me anytime. I'll do my best to help you out.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

thank you everyone for all your help. Maria I am trying to figure out how to message you .
Old 06-08-2005, 10:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Future Philanthropist

Originally Posted by BigEzell
Would I be a bad father if I take her to the counter where I see a nice lady and just kind of drop her off?
BigE

You'd only be a bad father if you never came back for her LOL

I have no real advice being that 1) I dont have any kids and 2) I have never been a girl, so I'll have to defer to the ladies here. But you sound like your a good dad and you'll do great.

- Greg
Old 06-08-2005, 10:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi BigE and welcome!
You sound like a wonderful father. Just pondering this issue is an indication of your concern and care. I had a friend, single father, raising two beauties on his own with the exact same problem. At the time our schedules clashed and I was unable to go with the girls to purchase their items. He did just as you asked, he went to the store, found a nice clerk to assist them while he wandered around nervous as a cat feeling blue his babies were growing up. Your most certainly not the only father who has had to do this.

You'd be just fine asking for assistance from a clerk, your daughter will be comfortable talking with another female, they will measure her and find something appropriate for her. This is a very exciting moment in a young girls life, so once she has her purchase take her for an ice cream and just tell her how proud you are of her and together in the future, you both will find ways to work through such situations so long as she continues to ask for your support, assuring her you'll always be there no matter what issue arises, and there will be many more. Now if she's prancing around behind close doors the next few days don't be alarmed, she's just trying on every shirt she can so her friends will notice! *hugs to you*
Old 06-08-2005, 10:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

2tough2die

The second I saw your name on the thread I thought Ah Geez what's he said.
The more I read your posts the more convinced I am that you and Carrie are twinkies. LOL
Old 06-08-2005, 10:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

There is going to be No prancing ! Good Lord ! I am also going through her T shirts next time she leaves the house I believe she a has a few a little too snug. She will get new bigger shirts while she shops for her other device.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Dreamlike...Now

She will get new bigger shirts while she shops for her other device.
Too Funny Big E! <!-- / message -->
Old 06-08-2005, 10:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Not for me.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Chy

Originally Posted by BigEzell
There is going to be No prancing ! Good Lord ! I am also going through her T shirts next time she leaves the house I believe she a has a few a little too snug. She will get new bigger shirts while she shops for her other device.
I'm sorry but that's so darn cute! Your going to be okay, you will endure this first major hurrdle! Your children are lucky, very, very, lucky, now put the shot gun away, you won't need it till her first date!
Old 06-08-2005, 10:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Dreamlike...Now

I'm sorry! I just love the way you called the bra a "device" because it can feel like that sometimes