Notices

Step 1

Old 06-08-2005, 07:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Just for today...

Step 1

"We admitted that we were powerless over our addiction,that our lives had become unmanageable"
Our disease slowly separates us from our family and leads us toward the destruction of everything important to us. There is no instant or easy cure. The only answer is to admit our powerlessness, humble ourself, and submit to the process that will eventually bring recovery.
"This program offers hope. All you have to bring with you is the desire to stop using and the willingness to try this new way of life."
IP No.16 For the Newcomer
Just for today: I will look at the program I'm working in light of my own recovery. I will practice that program to the best of my ability.
Hi, my name is Angel1...and I AM an addict. There is hope out there for all that is still suffering. If I could do it, after 20 years of using, I know anyone could do it.. Reach out and there will be someone reaching back...Just for today I WILL stay clean.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

Welcome Sarah!!
yes!!!! Just for today!!
\\//Wendy
Old 06-08-2005, 09:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Just for today...

I am but one, with the program; I am many!

Thanks Wendy. It's good to be home. We must admit we are truly powerless if our life is to become healthy. Admitting powerlessness,is a positive step toward recovery. If we become willing to be led into recovery & a whole new way of life, We WILL find true power.We can live a real life in a human body with weakness and still find the power from above to keep going without being crushed or broken..
Just for today...I will have a program, I will follow it to the best of my ability....

Old 06-09-2005, 11:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Just for today...

Lightbulb Step 2.....we came to believe...

:shysmile: "We came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity"

We have a disease: progressive, incurable, fatal. Insanity is repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results. As we see conincidences and miracles happening in our lives, acceptance becomes trust. We grow to feel comfortable with our Higher Power as a source of strength. As we learn to trust this Power, we begin to overcome our fear of life. The process of coming to believe restores us to sanity.

Why not give it a chance? There is always hope. Noone is hopeless. You are a child of God. He wants you to be happy and at peace. You can only keep it by giving it away.....
Old 06-09-2005, 11:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Angel.Welcome to SoberRecovery.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Just for today...

Smile Step 3...

"We made a decision to turn our will and lives over to the care of God as we understood Him."

This is a giant step. All that is required is willingness.We found that all we needed to do is try. When we gave our best effort, the program worked for us as it has worked for countless others. For the first time, since our first high, we have made a decision for ourselves. Most of us feel, that open-mindedness, willingness, and surrender are the keys to this step. We realize that the power that brought us into the program has stayed with us and will continue to guide us if we allow It...

Are you ready to put faith in something that you can't see? What can it hurt? Its not like it'll make things any worse than you did using drugs, right? We didn't make very good decisions then...I pray that all who suffer will be guided to you,Lord,...and they allow you to make their decisions...
Old 06-11-2005, 06:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Just for today...

Step 4...We made..

"We made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves."

The purpose of a searching and fearless moral inventory is to sort through the confusion and contradiction of our lives. We have found that fear is a lack of faith, and we have found a loving,personal God to whom we can turn. Honest self-assessment is one of the keys to our new way of life. We found that we do not recover physically,mentally,or spiritually overnight. Step 4 will help us toward our recovery. We are surprised to find good points in our inventory. We are trying to free ourselves of living in old,useless patterns. We take the 4th step to grow and gain strength and insight. We start the 4th step and let go of fear. Our wills and our lives are now in the hands of our Higher Power. We begin to get in touch with ourselves. We learn that pain can be a motivating factor in recovery. When we pray and take action, it always goes better for us. We are not going to be perfect, the important thing is we do our best.
As for me...it is only just for today...whatever I can do today to stay clean...I will..
Old 06-12-2005, 10:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Just for today...

Step 5.."We admitted....

"We admitted to God,to ourselves,and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs"
The 5th step is the key to freedom.It allows us to live clean in the present.Sharing the exact nature of our wrongs sets us free to live. Holding on to our past would eventually sicken us and keep us from taking part in our new way of life.If we are not honest, we will have the same negative results that dishonesty brought us in the past.We know that another addict would be less likely to judge us with malice or misunderstanding. Our fellow members do understand us.Although we often appeared attractive and confident on the outside, we were really hiding a shaky, insecure person on the inside. We see by the acceptance of our confidant, that we can be accepted just the way we are.

Sometimes for me, its hard to say when I am wrong. My pride gets in the way. But I have to remember to be humbled. It takes a bigger person to admit when they are wrong. It also, makes the heart grow bigger, and easier to live with.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Just for today...

Step 6..."We were entirely....

"We were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character."
Willingness is what we strive for in Step 6. Many of us cling to our fears,doupts,self-loathing or hatred because there is a certain distorted security in familliar pain. Character defects cloud our ability to think logically.Our defects drain us of all our time and energy. We examine the 4th step inventory and get a good look at what these defects are doing to our lives. We need a personality change if we are to stay clean.We want to change. We should approach old defects with an open mind. We look to the fellowship for the kind of life that we want for ourselves.We learn that we are growing when we make new mistakes instead of repeating old ones. We begin to feel better, as willingness grows into hope. Perhaps for the first time, we see a vision of our new life.

You know, I went to my home group last night. And, oddly enough,we reviewed the 6th step.{I just so happen to be writing on it today} And, I do a daily inventory of what my character defects are. I have to face my mistakes and what I do wrong in order to grow, in the program and spiritually. Meditation every morning, makes it easier to get thru the day. If you don't know how to pray or forget, at night take your shoes and put them as far under the bed as you can. That way, in the morning you are inclined to get on your knees to reach them. Saying a little prayer along the way.
Just for today...I will be more willing to do the right thing ...
Old 06-14-2005, 12:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Just for today...

Lightbulb Step 7..."We humbly...

Step 7:"We humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings."

The main objective to Step7 is to get out of ourselves and strive to achive the will of our Higher Power.We have noticed that humility plays a big part in this program and our new way of life.We take our inventory,we become ready to let God remove our defects of character;we humbly ask Him to remove our shortcomings.This is our road to spiritual growth,and we will want to continue.

Sometimes its hard to be humble. I think we all have times where we are very proud.But if we truly want to be free,we will take a good look at input from fellow addicts and learn to be humble.We change everyday.We gradually and carefully pull ourselves out of the isolation and loneliness of addiction and into the mainstream of life.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Just for today...

Lightbulb Step 8...

"We made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all."

Step 8 is a test of our newfound humility.Our purpose is to achieve freedom from the guilt that we have carried.It will make us feel better to clean up our lives by relieving ourselves of guilt.This step is to help build awareness that,little by little,we are gaining new attitudes about ourselves and how we deal with other people. As a result of this step, we recieve a new freedom that can end isolation. As we relize our need to be forgiven, we tend to be more forgiving.

Wouldn't it benefit to love ourselves a little more? Wouldn't saying I'm sorry make you feel better about yourself? I know that,for me, I am very stubborn.It was hard for me to say 'I'm sorry'. But I knew that, I had too. How could I possiblly forgive others or myself, if I couln't say I'm sorry? Today I try to focus on what other people feel. And I did some horrible things in my addictions...if it meant I'd have to say I'm sorry to the whole world , just to stay sober..I would do it....I WILL KEEP COMING BACK...
Old 06-16-2005, 01:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Just for today...

Smile Step 9...We made direct amends....

Step 9:"We made direct amends to such people wherever possible,except when to do so would injure them or others."

Pride,fear, and procrastination often seem an impossible barrier; they stand in the way of progress and growth. We make amends to the best of our ability.When we make amends,we are doing it for ourselves.We feel relieved about our past.Sometimes the only amend we can make is to stay clean.We owe it to ourselves and our loved ones.We approach those we have harmed with humility and patience.A lot of courage and faith goes into making an amend,and a lot of spiritual growth results.We achieve freedom from the wreckage of our past.

For me, sometimes it is hard saying 'I'm sorry'.But I do it because it is owed. I made such havock in my life. There were many people I hurt. I've said I'm sorry to most, some didn't want it, some just wanted me to stay clean, this time.The best I'm sorry, is turning my life around. Only then, will the people I hurt, really be convinced, that I truly am sorry...
Old 06-18-2005, 07:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Just for today...

Step 10

Step 10..."We continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it."

We don't have to be trapped by our old patterns. Today, we have a choice.This step can be a defense against the old insanity.We work this step while the day's up's and down's are still fresh in our mind. We list what we have done and try not to rationalize our actions.We promptly admit our faults,not explain them.This step is a great tool for avoiding grief before we bring it on ourselves.Recovery is more than just a pleasure.By continuing a personal inventory,we are set free,in the here and now,from ourselves and the past.This step allows us to be ourselves.

After I started thinking about my behaviors, I started realizing my defects. So, this step actually makes me think, before I do. Not to react, like I did when I was still in my addiction. All of the steps can be used throughout anyone's life. They are simple guidelines..and if we truly follow them, we WILL stay clean....
Old 06-19-2005, 08:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Just for today...

Exclamation Step 11..."We sought....

Step 11:"We sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him,praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out."

Most of us welcome the excercise of prayer and meditation.Our spiritual condition is the basis for a successful recovery that offers unlimited growth.Our lives take on a deeper meaning.By surrendering control,we gain a far greater power.The conscious contact descibed in this step is the direct result of living the steps.We use this step to improve and maintain our spiritual condition.We can ask for God's help when we need it and our lives get better.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Just for today...

Lightbulb Step 12:"Having had....

Step 12:"Having had a spiritual awakening as a result of these steps,we tried to carry this message to addicts,and to practice these principles in all our affairs."

We came to NA as a result of the wreckage of our past.The last thing we expected was an awakening of the spirit.We just wanted to stop hurting.This awakening is evidenced by changes of our lives.These changes make us better able to live by spiritual principles and to carry our message of recovery and hope to the addict who still suffers.The message,however,is meaningless if we don't LIVE it.....

Since I've been clean, I have to say, my life has completely turned around.Things I thought were never possible are coming true. I am beginning to really enjoy life and what it has to offer.These steps are but a guide.Everyone works them differently. But the point to the steps , are this....Your life doesn't get better UNLESS you want it better.Noone can get recovery for you...I'm not going to tell you a lie...if it were a perfect world I would still be getting high BUT it's not and the sacrifices are too great. This world isn't perfect and it's never going to be...IT'S ONLY WHAT I MAKE OF IT!...with that, I will keep coming back...

Last edited by sarahjangel1; 06-20-2005 at 04:25 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 06-21-2005, 10:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Just for today...

This is how you begin...

:hugehug The first step to recovery is to stop using.We cannot expect the program to work for us if our minds and bodies are still clouded by drugs.Recovery is an active change in our ideas and attitudes.Freedom to change seems to come after acceptance of ourselves.Sharing with fellow addicts is a basic tool in our program.For anyone who wants our way of life,we share experience,strength, and hope instead of preaching and judging.With honesty, open mindedness,and willingness we are on our way to recovery.We feel our way is practical,because one addict helping another addict is without parrell.The only way to keep from returning to active addiction is not to take that first drug...If you are like us you know that one is too many,and a thousand never enough..

When I entered the program,it was many years ago, and I thought I would be fine after leaving the institution I was in.Unfortunately,I got high again 45 minutes after I discharged. I thought I could control my using..but I can't.When I got back in the program this last year. I checked into a rehab and I was determined to stay clean.And I have..it has been a long road and without NA and some wondeful people, I wouldn't have made it...today I urge you to take the chance...give yourself a break...get clean...I hope you will at least keep coming back to this,and all of my threads...look for them...we might have something in common...
Old 06-22-2005, 05:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Just for today...

Who is an addict?

Who is an addict? Most of do not have to think twice about this question.WE KNOW.Our whole life and thinking was centered in drugs in one form or another-the getting and using and finding means and ways to get more.We lived to use and used to live.Very simply,an addict is a man or woman whose life is controlled by drugs.We are people in the grip of as continuing and progressive illness whose ends are always the same: jails, institutions, and death. Basic text p.3

I am an addict. When I was active in my addiction, there wasn't anything I wouldn't do for my drugs. At times, I put myself in extreme danger to get them.My whole world centered around the drugs and hiding my pain. Until recently, I didn't know how to feel. I hid my feelings so long that when I started to acknowledge them,it was very difficult...Now I feel, relieved. All the baggage that I had been carrying around with me for years, is gone..It didn't just vanish, I will always remember, but I have made my peace with them..It took alot of hard work & difficulty to deal with them..The first step is to admit you are powerless and surrender...just for today..I am living an honest program..
Old 06-22-2005, 08:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Midas

All we have is today. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Keep up the good work
&
Keep coming back!!

Old 06-23-2005, 11:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Just for today...

Lightbulb We can finally look...

:na2 I know I am powerless over a disease that is incurable,progressive,and fatal.If I don't arrest it,it'll get worse until I die. You know, I don't want to die.I can't deal with the obsession and compulsion. The only alternative I have is to stop using and start learning how to live.I am ready and willing to take any course of action and take advantage of any help available to me. MY life will have no boundaries...I will recover.Today I am secure with the love of the fellowship of NA. They are my family.Today I can finally look at another human being in the eye and be grateful for who I am.Can you? If you are active in your addiction start by not doing that first drug. You know you can't stop,once you start.Go to a meeting,use the hotline,call a priest...just do what you have to do not to use...there are many of us that care about all the suffering addicts...reach out and we will reach back....just for today...I will extend my hand to someone in need....
Old 06-25-2005, 06:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Just for today...

Lightbulb More will be revealed...

As our recovery progressed,we became increasingly aware of ourselves and the world around us.Our needs and wants,our assets and liabilities were revealed to us.We came to realize that we had no power to change the outside world, we could only change ourselves.The program of NA provides an opportunity for us to ease the pain of living through spiritual principals. Basic text p.97

Everyday, more is revealed to me about myself. I can accept who I am today. I can shape my world into whatever I choose. I have a choice today. Every day is a new day for me, new hopes, new dreams. Not very many moons ago, I was confused,lonely, hungry for life, and sad...today, I am so much more. I owe it all to the program and the fellowship. There are so many me's out there. If you are like me...take the chance for life...you can ......you have the power to choose...stay clean, just for today...