My bad luck!

Old 06-07-2005, 10:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

My bad luck!

Last night I was pretty bored; still sick so I was playing on the computer, and decided to check my online bank account.

I'm having to watch every penny, since I'm not working FT and would really like to move. So I get to my account and I see a withdrawal for 550.00 dollars Not a transaction that I made. My heart sank and I started to panic. I thought maybe somehow XA got into my account, but then I thought how could that be possible? The bank has very strict security policies on who withdrawls money from an account, even when I go and do this on my own account.

So I couldn't call the 1-800 number fast enough; I told the girl what had happened and she put me on hold for almost ten minutes. She comes back and says someone in a different branch, in a different state accidently transcribed the numbers, and took money out of my account instead of theirs. :slaphead

I asked how this could have happened, and she said sometimes mistakes happen; that this doesn't happen often but it does happen. And wouldn't you know it happended to me.Ackkkkkk! Between my crappy car and now this, I wonder if I'm cursed with bad luck.

She said the money would be put back into my account within 5 business days. I just think this is totally ridiculous that they can make mistakes like this and then expect you to wait that long to get YOUR money back into YOUR account.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any thoughts? Sorry for the long vent.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hi There! This has happened to me too - with Charter One. they paid off someone elses $500+ AT&T bill, and I don't have an account with them!

I got the same response - that they had to conduct an investiagation, and they made me wait 10 days. I was on my way to EU at the the time, so I was good and pissed. It's not even over for me, and this was like 6 years ago.

NOW, out of the blue, I'm getting bills from a collection agency, who had an account sold to them from Charter One, telling me I owe them over $300 for "insufficient funds" in my old account - which of course I closed immediately after that crazy incident in the first place!

So, i'm having Equifax investigate that one - I'm not giving those a**holes a dime if I can help it!

GOod luck to you - I feel your pain!
Old 06-07-2005, 10:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

Hi ggnewme!

Is Charter One a bank? The girl at the bank said it was pretty cut and dry, and they realize where the mistake happened. I just hope the money gets put back ASAP!

Sorry for your bad luck with Charter One. Hope it gets resolved soon!
Old 06-07-2005, 10:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I actually had something very similiar just 2 weeks ago!!! I took money out of my savings account at one bank (withdrew as CASH) and took it to deposit in another account in a different bank.... got home, I had a "wierd" feeling about the whole transaction (the teller seemed really ditzy to me) so I went to check the on-line balance... and the money wasn't there. I called the bank immediately to find out what happened. Luckily I had the teller receipt for the transaction b/c it was cash not a check! Somehow the receipt had the right account number, but the deposit was made to a different account! They are STILL researching the whole mess (apparently mine was not the only account that got screwed up that day!) so I won't see the money for another 2-3 weeks! DOH! I really needed that cash to cover bills so things are pretty tight now.

The good news is that I AM getting the money back. I was so afraid they would think I was trying to scam them, but they never second guessed me once. They apologized immediately. It's frustrating that I have to wait to get my money back, but then again, they do have to protect themselves from future mistakes. I'm sure they want to make sure they have EVERYTHING in order before they start dolling out money!
Old 06-07-2005, 10:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yup - Charter One is a bank - maybe it's only in the Midwest. I talked to everyone from the branch manager to customer service people - I don't know who all - I pitched a fit with everyone! Still, even though the mistake was clear, their "Process" was to make an investigation, and that took 10 days. I hope yours gets cleared up faster than 5 days even!
Old 06-07-2005, 11:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would suggest that once this is cleared up you change banks. Look for one with no fees and a reputation for good customer service. If you're eligible for a credit union, by all means consider them as well. Then, once you've closed your old account, write to the president or CEO and tell them WHY.

Just as you don't want a relationship with someone who doesn't consider your needs, the same is true for those with whom you entrust your money.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

WTL-I told the bank which btw is Wells Fargo, that I plan to close my account after all of this. Right now I'm just concerned in getting my money back.