Fears

Old 06-06-2005, 09:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Gracey

Fears

My fear is of doctors, I think it has alot to do with my sister dying when I was three and she was two. I also had another sister who was born very sick and she was in and out of hospitals for a long time, I know my parents were scared that she was going to die like my other sister did. I know that my parents couldnt handle her and at one point she was in foster care, I will never forget these people they were the Newmans, I was told the reasons my sister was in a foster home was because my parents couldnt handle her because she looked just like my sister that died. I also know that she was sent up to live with my Aunt for awhile, but there are alot of pieces that just dont fit together. Why do I feel that I need to have a better understanding of all of this, before I can get over my fear.

But everytime I have to go to the doctor, I panic, I think they are going to tell me that I am going to die, or that one of my kids are terminal ill and is going to die.

Does anyone else have this fear to the point where you dont go to the doctor for yourself.

Old 06-06-2005, 11:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Gracie, with me it was the dentist! When I was very young a dentist hurt me and the residual of that was to avoid dentists like they were torturers.

I "interviewed" several before I settled on the one I have now. I would not be going thru all this getting implants until I found one I felt I could trust. I WANTED a great smile...but Lord, was I scared! I carried a paper bag with me for the first few visits just in case I hyperventilated.

I don't know how to separate the feelings regarding your sisters and doctors, but I'd bet a good counselor would! If it's within your insurance, means or if there's some government assistance, I would urge you to discuss it with a pro. Maybe they could help you ease your mind.

((((Gracie))))
Old 06-06-2005, 12:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, it's scary. But we all gotta go to a doctor some time, so I hope you can white knuckle it and go anyway if you for any reason see a change in your health. Early detection is crucial!
Old 06-06-2005, 12:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I hate to go to the doctor and will do all most anything to avoid it...
Old 06-06-2005, 12:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I hate to go to the doctor and will do all most anything to avoid it...
Old 06-06-2005, 12:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

((gracie)) - me too but i go every year for my checkups!

now the dentist is a different story - i ABSOLUTELY HATE to go but until recently was still good about scheduling my appts. i have slacked off and need to get back. i am terrified of shots!!!

you are not alone, but WTL suggestion about seeing a counselor and asking them about the possible connection is good.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Why do I feel that I need to have a better understanding of all of this, before I can get over my fear
Because you deserve to have a better understanding of all this. You deserve to know the truth about why your sister went into foster care. I think your fear stems from the fact that you believe you might not know the truth about your sister. What a scary thing for a child to watch their sibling go into foster care, and what a scary thing for a child to understand. So scary that you're now a grown woman trying to understand. I think the way to alleviate you fears is to seek the truth.