So not doing this for me....

Old 06-04-2005, 07:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So not doing this for me....

I'm signed up for karate lessons!!!

An instructor from the local karate club came knocking while I was at the market. He was a nice lad and D has a problem saying no when they seem like nice folk (he has signed up to EVERY charity that has ever knocked at our door - now around 8 monthly direct debits on his account!!).

So this guy got invited back for when I had returned and did his sale speel. D admitted he needed some excercise (and desprately does) and more discipline. I know it would be great for him and sat there thinking 'But I don't really want to do karate'. I'm not bothered about self defence, at 5' 11" and physically confident no-one ever really tries to start a fight with me and if they did I'd be more intent on getting out of it than getting on with it. If push came to shove unless they were trained I could hold my own - if they were trained I'd probably be stuffed anyway. I hate being taught in a class, D preferes classes because only the instructors really talk. I like club based social sports.

Anyway - I like to keep fit so that's a plus, we do need non alcohol based activities, another plus, but most of all I knew he wouldn't go on his own - so I signed up!

Well at least it isn't enabling any drinking stuff!!

Selfish me just feels grumpy because karate has never appealled, good me knows it isn't going to do me any harm and it'll do D the world of good. This is really the first thing I've ever really done just for him, he gave up a beautiful flat, gave up a fantastic job and moved into the city for me, just so I wouldn't have to move away from friends. So can anyone out there get me enthusiastic about karate?
Old 06-04-2005, 07:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

There is much more to Karate than just fighting and kicking. Karate is a form of self defense and entails a whole set of disciplines.

We can learn much about ourselves by taking karate lessons and also learn to "hone" all our senses.

I learned a lot in karate classes and have never regretted taking them.

Do some surfing on the net. Do a google search. You will learn much about karate.

Most of all enjoy!!!!!! The classes can be very enlightening!!

Love and (((((to all))))),
Old 06-04-2005, 01:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good on ya!! you go for it girl!

I hope to get my guy back into it when he's a bit more healthy, did karate in the RAF.
If it helps them to focus on more than the bottle then I'm all for supporting them!
And if it means joining him at least it's one sacrifice I'm making that could have a positive effect on me too ( too much chocolate- detrimental effect!)
Never asked him what belt he has, but I'm sure he'd be happy to take more lessons if it means he can do them with me.
He's already mentioned teaching me to swim and scuba dive, I can't swim very well. He's got gold medals for Yorkshire, he's also an expert diver from his days doing air/sea rescue.
Don't know what to say to buck up your " enthusiasm" except think about the benefits- better health for you both, the philosophy of karate builds mental stength.....................and the instructor might be cute

PS got new keyboard YEY!! so will start that *project* I told you about soon.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

When I took Karate classes, I enjoyed it. It's a good past-time to get you in really good shape, physically and mentally.

Robin
Old 06-05-2005, 07:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

We have our first lesson on Wednesday evening. I know this was the right thing to do.

I like the sound of honing my senses but not so much being enlightened - I prefere that from people who aren't trying to enlighten anyone rather than from folk who set out to do it.

I've read the dojo rules and they sound very formal, I'm hoping in reality that they're a bit more relaxed. Either way this little rebel will behave herself and give it a shot.

You never know this time next year I might be a fully qualified Miss.Piggy!!! HIIIIIIIIIIIYA
Old 06-05-2005, 07:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

He's already mentioned teaching me to swim and scuba dive, I can't swim very well. He's got gold medals for Yorkshire, he's also an expert diver from his days doing air/sea rescue.
They sound like excellent opportunities!! I tried snorkelling once and nearly drowned myself due to a language barrier and me being a bit thick! I go swimming once a week but I'm a 'dry faced' breastroke person, not very fast and I have to admit we gossip more than we swim! I'm better than I was at school, where it turns out I had completely misunderstood the whole swimming thing making it stupidly hard work - I didn't improve till a penny dropped on holiday when I was nearly 30! I'm still slow but much less 'drowny'.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

consider your karate lessons coginative threapy

Oh and please read this thread http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ad.php?t=60889
Old 06-05-2005, 10:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I remember reading about cognitive behavioural therapy years ago, I liked it lots!! If there are similarities I'll be chuffed to bits!!

I read the other thread and replied but I'm not sure I made much sense. I wasn't really sure what I could offer.