Notices

Hello all...

Old 06-02-2005, 08:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello all...

Hello...

Been sitting here for 50 min. wondering what to type..? It's weird, I've done an intro like this 100 times before at fun & games type forums, but this one is different for me... Not sure I want to..? *very scared* I don't want to... But I have to...

Umm... I'm male, 44, married 16 yrs w/ no kids... While I was keeping a dear friend company tonight, chatting away about this and that, I finally spilled the beans and told the truth about myself for the first time... I told my friend I have a drinking problem... I've never told anyone before... Not even my wife, nobody... So my friend gave me directions here, and I promised I would read whats going on here, and make a post... It sounded tons easier when I said it earlier, than it's ending up being right now as I'm fighting inside to even be able to make this post...

I like things how they are... I drink every day, rain or shine... Right now I'm thinking about it... I always thought I was so lucky, cuz I have a lifestyle where I can get away with being an alchy and nobody really knows... I work at home, or not work if I don't want to, which lets me pretty much start tiping the bottle of vodka as early as I want, and get away with it... I've become a master at being a "quote" responsible drinker, because I never drink and drive, I always get my errands made, and am always on time and sober to pick up my wife from her job 3 days a week, and do the other things we do together... I know exactly when I can and can't drink, and I've arranged my life so I have the better part of every day to drink as much as I want, and still manage to apear somewhat normal to those who don't know me any better... A part of me likes this life very much, as it covers a multitude of faults I have, it lets me escape from myself, and my problems a good part of each day, and that has suited me fine for a long time now...

But... Another part of me wants something more... More from my day than just being a sneaky alcoholic pretending to be kool by holding a glass in my hand... I've been hiding from myself for a long time, fixing my fears and weakness's by escaping them and numbing my brain so I don't have to worry about them... I never thought I had any hope of overcoming this, and honestly haven't had much will or inspiration to try... But I realized today that the friend who I was chatting with is overcoming her demons, and even though it's mind bogling difficult at times, that it can be done, and maybe I can too..? I really don't know for sure..? I really don't know anything right now..? I don't even know if I really want to stop or not..? Part of me does, and part of me doesn't, and I have yet to discover which part is bigger, and wants it most..?

The only thing I know for sure is that yesterday no one but God knew I was an alcoholic, and today my friend does, and you all do to...

I don't know what to do, or what I want to do... It's all quite confusing at this point...

But thank you for making a place to post this, and for listening...
Old 06-02-2005, 08:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Chy

Welcome!
Stick around you'll get a lot of support and a lot to think about. Glad your here!
Old 06-02-2005, 08:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Smile Hi ravensheart!!

Just want to welcome you here and tell you the sweetest people in the world are all right here. I can't tell you what to do but I have felt just like you and (just my opinion) that you want to quit but maybe just don't think you can. The reason I think you want to is you wouldn't feel like you needed to hide it from anyone if it didn't bother you. Feel free to message me anytime and I hope you find what you are looking for !
CarrieG
Old 06-02-2005, 08:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! Stick around - lots of nice people and support here!
Old 06-02-2005, 09:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome...

Originally Posted by CarrieG
Just want to welcome you here and tell you the sweetest people in the world are all right here. I can't tell you what to do but I have felt just like you and (just my opinion) that you want to quit but maybe just don't think you can. The reason I think you want to is you wouldn't feel like you needed to hide it from anyone if it didn't bother you. Feel free to message me anytime and I hope you find what you are looking for !
CarrieG
Your probably right, I don't think I can... And I know myself well enough to know that if I stopped drinking, I'd probably turn to substance abuse, because I've done that before when I did quit for a few months a long time ago, and that was much worse than drinking...

I don't think it would be as hard to stop drinking, as it would be to do all of the things necesary to remain sober for an extended period... I'm more afraid of facing the demons inside myself and fixing them, than I'm afraid I won't be able to stop drinking.... I don't know how to explain it very well..?
Thank you...
Old 06-02-2005, 09:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Raven
Welcome to SR... you have taken that first step towards living life without alcohol and that can be scary and yes it does mean taking an introspective look at why we drink in the first place. I am glad you are here, i think you will find that you can relate to alot of us folks dealing with addictions.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Future Philanthropist

Originally Posted by ravensheart
I'm more afraid of facing the demons inside myself and fixing them, than I'm afraid I won't be able to stop drinking.
Wecome to SR, Raven!

I believe a large number of us noobies here are as scared as you. I'm terrified of climbing out from the wreckage of wasted years... how I'll feel when I'm wrong, how I'll react under pressure, how that first sober date will go, how I'll be entertained when life's eventual boredom creeps in at times. As Joe Walsh said "Lord knows I can't sleep if nothing's wrong".

I think someone said once something about one day at a time, although I'm afraid I've got that wrong

- Greg

PS... great post, btw, KelKel! You're timing could not have possibly been better.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Jack

If you think you're an alcoholic

Hi Raven and welcome. If you think you're an alcoholic ask your self a few of these questions.
If I have that 1st drink can I predict what will happen?
If I have that 1st drink can I stop at 1?
Is alcohol interfering with my life?
Am I a secret/closet drinker?
Do I sneak drinks or hide bottles?
Can I drink with dignity?
Do I need a drink at certain times, like right after work; before stressful situations like Christmas with the family; interacting with certain people etc.?
Would my life be more manageable without booze?

Whatever your answers, if you wrote here after telling your friend "I have a drinking problem" then you most likely do. Go to an open discussion AA mtg. or a meeting for newcomers. You'll be welcomed with open arms, no one will look down on you and you'll find out if you can identify with the people there.
You won't have to speak or share your problem, just listen. Listen and learn.
No one comes to an AA meeting cuz things in their life was peachy and they had an hour to kill. I went to my 1st meeting cuz I was beat into it by booze, drugs and an unmanageable life. I thought AA would teach me how to drink responsibily. Instead AA taught me how to live responsibly, without booze or drugs. Post again and let us know the outcome. Good luck and God bless.

Last edited by jbm125; 06-02-2005 at 11:59 PM. Reason: addition
Old 06-03-2005, 12:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

Welcome Ravenheart!!!!! big hugs to you!! The very first step to a path of recovery is admitting we are powerless. I'm so glad you found your way here!!! one question I have for you....Did telling your friend that you have a drinking problem give you some relief?? Did telling us(even though we're not face to face)give you some relief??...lol sorry that was 2 questions
My name is Wendy, I am a drug addicted alcoholic in recovery, i hope you stick around!! SR's like home to me!! Experience, strength and hope is what i've found here.
Living sober has been, for me, simply something i never thought possible...and is truly a better way to live!!!Like Greg said...one day at a time! Keep coming back
\\// Wendy
Old 06-03-2005, 12:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Wendy....

My name is Mark...

Thats all I can say right now.....

Please keep pushing me all you guys, I will reply to your posts, but I can't tonight, it's all too much.......

thanks, and I'm not going anywhere....
Old 06-03-2005, 03:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome

and Hello Mark!

I read that you had stopped drugs sometime ago.
Many of us switch addictions. As you alluded to...we are hiding out.

Have you considered comsulting with an addiction therapist?

You are to be commended for reaching out. And give your friend a dozen roses!

Keep in touch...we understand and shame is not allowed at SR!
Old 06-03-2005, 03:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ravensheart
What a great post! And what a brave man you are to come out and admit that you have a problem to your friend, and then to join SR! Awesome! Really!!! Everything else will come in time....you have done the first step marvellously.
i can really empathise...you are at an age which is still seen as young you obviously haven';t lost *too* much yet (that's how I feel I also do some work from home and have my own business) but when I started thinking about it...well I had lost stuff like energy, self respect (tons of it) and lots of intangibles regardless of the 'outer' - like in your situation - looking ok.

So you can be really proud of yourself that you have got to this realistaion...take it easy...keep coming here to SR, try and keep your mind open...be honest honest honest with yourself (actually quite hard sometimes lol!) and ... when you are ready...check out AA...it's an amazing life saving beautiful programme.

I hope you stick around and use the support available here.

Cathy31
x
Old 06-03-2005, 05:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hi Ravensheart, Good to see you hear, keep coming back

nogard (also a )
Old 06-03-2005, 07:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Mark,

I am in somewhat the same situation as you. I am a retired stay-at-home Mom, and have always managed to do what I needed to do, be everything to everyone who needs me (including several elders in assisted living). But guess what, it has started to break down. My husband has noticed, and tells me that my sons who don't live at home any longer have noticed too. I have taken to hiding from my Mom because I am so tired of pretending.

Also my energy is gone, and I have elevated liver enzymes. Not a good thing. Don't let this happen to you. I guess you have to decide if you want to live, and what you would like the quality of your life to be like. I do want to live, and I don't want to cheat my husband out of our growing old together.

Today is day one for me and I am going to make it. If you don't feel AA is for you, google alternate recovery programs. There are many out there.

Good luck.

Marilyn
Old 06-03-2005, 11:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Support our Troops.

Took me 37 years to admit that I had a problem. Once I did, everything seemed to fall into place. I found this site. That was enough for me. I read my own story time after time being lived out by other people. That was a cleansing/sobering experience for me. Holy crap, here goes that pun deal again.
Welcome to the best part of society, the people of SR. Helping others by helping themselves.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

I think it may be helpful if you spent some time reading through the forum and attending some of the online meetings. I have taken the liberty of posting the meeting schedule below. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact myself, or any of the moderators here at SR.

There is an AA meeting tonight at 10pm. I think it may be helpful if you stop by and see what it is all about. Hpeirce is chairing (she is awesome)!

-pedagogue

All Meetings Are Held in The Meeting Room.
ALL MEETINGS ARE OPEN MEETINGS.

Sunday Times

Recovery Meeting for members of AA
EURO MEMBERS WELCOME!!
(12 Step Format)
10am Pacific / 11am Mtn. / 12pm Central / 1pm Eastern
(18:00 BST "British Summer Time")
Chair: JaySee

SUNDAY EVENING
A Recovery Meeting for Family & Friends of Alcoholics and Addicts.
5pm Pacific / 6pm Mtn. / 7pm Central / 8pm Eastern
Chair: abtchonamission

Monday Times

MONDAY NIGHT-
Recovery Meeting for Members of Al-Anon and Nar-Anon
(12 Step, Step Discussion)
7pm Pacific / 8pm Mtn. / 9pm Central / 10pm Eastern
Chair: Osier59

Tuesday Times

TUESDAY NIGHT-

Recovery Meeting for Members of NA
6:30pm Pacific / 7:30pm Mtn.
8:30pm Central / 9:30pm Eastern

Chair: lonlion

Wednesday Times

WEDNESDAY EVENING-
NEWCOMERS CHAT
Meeting for newcomers seeking answers to a variety of questions.
Chair: Chy

Thursday Times

THURSDAY NIGHT-
Recovery Meeting for Members of Al-Anon and Nar-Anon
(Topic Discussion)
5pm Pacific / 6pm Mtn. / 7pm Central / 8pm Eastern
Chair: historyteach

Recovery Meeting For Members of AA
(Step Study, discussion will pertain to a different step each week.)
Chair: KelKel

Friday Times

FRIDAY NIGHT-
Recovery Meeting for members of AA
(12-step format)
Chair: Hpierce

Go To Chat Room Here.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Stopping the tornado

Raven,

One of the greatest things about sobriety for me is not having to plan my life around booze. Your post reminded me of that, having to plan out drinking time, sober time, etc. My whole LIFE revolved around alcohol.

There are so many treasures to be found in sobriety. I wish you luck.

Welcome to SR, it is a great place to be!!
Old 06-03-2005, 06:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi and thanks again for the really great welcome...

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 543767" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>2tough2die</TD><TD class=alt2>Wecome to SR, Raven!

I believe a large number of us noobies here are as scared as you. I'm terrified of climbing out from the wreckage of wasted years... how I'll feel when I'm wrong, how I'll react under pressure, how that first sober date will go, how I'll be entertained when life's eventual boredom creeps in at times.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
I think thats exactly what I feel like too... Thanks...

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 543797" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>jbm125</TD><TD class=alt2>If I have that 1st drink can I predict what will happen?
If I have that 1st drink can I stop at 1?
Is alcohol interfering with my life?
Am I a secret/closet drinker?
Do I sneak drinks or hide bottles?
Can I drink with dignity?
Do I need a drink at certain times, like right after work; before stressful situations like Christmas with the family; interacting with certain people etc.?
Would my life be more manageable without booze?
-Yes, usually...
-Yes, I can usually stop at 1 drink if I have to...
-Yes, sometimes...
-No, I'm not a closet drinker nor do I hide bottles... I don't have any reason to..?
-I pretty much do drink with dignity... I don't ever get mean or loud, I'm just kind of a mellow drinker I guess... I don't have any anger issues or anything that are exagerated with alcohol...
-I would say that I don't so much need booze at holidays or special events, it's more just a way to get through any average day, and pass time...
-Yeah, life would be more managable without alcohol, I wouldn't blow off doing things sometimes, and could get much more done each day...

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 543797" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>jbm125</TD><TD class=alt2>Whatever your answers, if you wrote here after telling your friend "I have a drinking problem" then you most likely do. Go to an open discussion AA mtg. or a meeting for newcomers. You'll be welcomed with open arms, no one will look down on you and you'll find out if you can identify with the people there.
You won't have to speak or share your problem, just listen. Listen and learn.
No one comes to an AA meeting cuz things in their life was peachy and they had an hour to kill. I went to my 1st meeting cuz I was beat into it by booze, drugs and an unmanageable life. I thought AA would teach me how to drink responsibily. Instead AA taught me how to live responsibly, without booze or drugs. Post again and let us know the outcome. Good luck and God bless</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Umm, well I just admitted this all for the first time yesterday to one friend, before that I had never even considered AA or anything like that..? I'm not really thrilled at the idea of shouting it from the rooftops yet... I haven't even told any of this to my wife yet, and haven't decided how to do that, of if I even want to at this point... This is all very new...

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 543811" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>wantneeda</TD><TD class=alt2>one question I have for you....Did telling your friend that you have a drinking problem give you some relief?? Did telling us(even though we're not face to face)give you some relief??...lol sorry that was 2 questions \\// Wendy

Relief..? Not really to be honest... I felt this morning like I wished I hadn't of admitted it all yesterday... But I know I needed to say it, because I've been a hipocrit to my friend pretending I haven't got any problems while I'm talking to her about hers... I feel really good now because I don't feel like a hipocrit any longer, or hiding that part of myself anymore, that bothered me very much...

It did feel good to make this topic to all of you... I guess it's easier because I don't know any of you... It's not as personal as telling friends or family...

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 543878" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>CarolD</TD><TD class=alt2>Have you considered comsulting with an addiction therapist?

You are to be commended for reaching out. And give your friend a dozen roses!

Keep in touch...we understand and shame is not allowed at SR</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
-I haven't really considered consulting anyone, I've only really talked about this here so far... I couldn't bare to go public yet...
-Yeah, I have a way kool friend...

-And shame has been a big part of how I've felt telling my story, that I've failed everyone in so many ways for a very long time, and I hate that feeling...

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 544060" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>mbtired</TD><TD class=alt2>But guess what, it has started to break down. My husband has noticed, and tells me that my sons who don't live at home any longer have noticed too. I have taken to hiding from my Mom because I am so tired of pretending.

I'm tired of pretending too... Thanx... No one has really noticed anything in my case, and I most likely could keep this up indefinatly, but I want to be true to myself more than anything else, and not hide or make excuses, or lie to anyone about the way I spend my days anymore... Even if I keep drinking, I still want those close to me to know the truth and the real me... I have too kool of people around me, family and friends to disrespect them any longer by being dishonest with them and making excuses about who I really am...

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 544546" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>Greatful2004</TD><TD class=alt2>One of the greatest things about sobriety for me is not having to plan my life around booze. Your post reminded me of that, having to plan out drinking time, sober time, etc. My whole LIFE revolved around alcohol.

There are so many treasures to be found in sobriety.

I do think your right.... I do want that.... I'm trying to put all the pieces together in my mind to decide what to do next...

Thank you very much for the replies, all were wonderful... Thanks for those schedules of the chat room meeting also, I will be trying that soon... That sounds like a very good thing...
Old 06-03-2005, 07:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Gee

Mark... Good to see you again!

Wow! I am soo impressed with the way you boxed the quotes! Neato!

Just wanted you to know we are here if you want to ask questions.

Blessimgs...
Old 06-03-2005, 07:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you Carol....