Notices

Nutrition?

Old 06-01-2005, 02:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nutrition?

Hey guys! Now that my mind has gotten out of the fog, my body seems to be going berserk. I've put on all the weight I lost after getting sober back on, plus some. In only four months! Eek! I don't want to go on a "diet" per se, because I know that can be detrimental to my recovery. But I'm looking for good, sound nutritional advice for the first year of sobriety. I don't want to gain 50 pounds, either! Can anybody recommend a good website for this? I did a search and didn't find anything good. Help!
Old 06-01-2005, 05:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Try this site, lots of good stuff there.

http://www.addictionrecoveryguide.or...stic/view.html
Old 06-01-2005, 06:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Chy

It's all about the basics, eat right, know your limits and excercise!
Old 06-01-2005, 08:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Lightbulb Ok

here is a plam..

http://www.onlinediets.biz/hypoglyce...poglycemia.htm

Good luck...
Old 06-01-2005, 11:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

Hi Lilalkie...i'm in the same boat..a few llbs around the middle that i'm just not likin'!!!!!I just started a small plan that i think i'll like...i'm trying to walk every day..it was suggested that i do it for 30 minutes..and once a week go for 60 minutes..personally i start smaller if i don't think i can handle it...i'm still new to recovery so baby steps right? If i overwhelm myself then i'm more likely to throw the towel in. So,start with a couple of stretches...and start my walk at a normal pace and lead up to walking as if i were late for work... I take my discman with me and sing to my hearts content...lol i don't care who hears me...or sees me at this point...i'm doing it for me!!!

After 2 days of walking for 20 minutes my legs are sore...but persistence will get me over this hump...
Also my sister shared some excercises for me to do...remember baby steps so:
this is a three day rotation...
Day 1- Walking lunges...short distance..,as many as i'm comfortable doing...i can build up my reps later
crunches- 3 different ways...knees bent...legs straight...legs open in a V
pushups...even against the wall...as many as i can handle

Day 2-tricep dips(i'm using my couch-arms behind me on the couch-legs out straight take my butt to the floor-as many as i can do
leg lifts-on all fours, lifting my legs behind me

Day 3-stretching. Breathe deeply during-
I find if i do the excercises immediately after my walk it works for me.

this is all really simple but effective. As for eating?..breakfast is very important.Oatmeal is really good for breakfast, or eggs and toast(protien), i eat a fruit before i walk and breakfast after.
Carbs are good for lunch, lots of veggies
a big salad, fish chicken....just a good supper. Drink lots of water. Try to eliminate sugar, caffiene and white flour(apparently they keep us craving)
healthy snacks that aren't full of empty calories.
Don't know if this interests you but it's what i'm trying right now...if you do find a website that you like let me know!
\\//Wendy
Old 06-02-2005, 02:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovering from 10 yrs of Weed

When I decided to quit weed I knew I had to start eating healthy at the same time. Cause I would be sober and want to feel good about myself..but couldn't get really excited because I would be over weight. So for me it was about getting healthy. I wanted to be clean of drugs and also be healthy.

I started juicing. I bought a juicer and juiced every kind of fruit and vegetable. My favorite is Carrot, Apple, Beet, Cucumber..you can also add a little bit of spinach for more vitamins. This also helps you get into eating fruits and vegetables. Because I wasn't too keen on the idea of eating them..but juicing them was easier. Drinking the juice every morning gives me energy and also fills me up for a few hours.

I also read the Dr Phil book about weight loss. It really helped. he talks about filling your kitchen with foods that are good for you. So when you are hungry no matter what you grab..it will be good for you. Just like drugs or alcohol..eliminate the bad foods from your kitchen and that will make it easier to stay away from them.

I bought a low fat cook book for ideas. And also read the book "Eat more, Weigh Less" by Dr Dean Ornish for more ideas on what foods to stock in my kitchen. There are so many good foods listed..that I don't feel like I am on a "diet" or feel depraved. There are low fat foods that are just as good as fat foods...they are even better..cause you feel better after eating them....Then you will notice..that McDonalds food doesn't taste good anymore.

Also, I would suggest going to the chiropractor. Getting an allignment really helps with weightloss and digestion in general. I went today and I feel really good.

And some moderate exercise..like walking or just some simple stretches while you are watching TV is all you need to do ..to get started.

I hope you try some of these things. I have been doing them for a month now..and been clean for a month...I am finally feeling really good and my body is getting leaner. It wasn't easy at times...but now my body craves the good food and the moderate exercise. I think it is helping flush my system out of all the toxins I put in there when I was doing drugs.

I really hope this helps.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is a lot of good information. I am going to try some of it. I need to lose 35 lbs. and it is going to be rough, but I'm ready. I am dedicated to what I'm doing and this is my third day of eating healthy/exercising. I started my new plan on May 31, 2005 and if I can stick with this thing for 30 days, I get a lil reward! Hehe...gotta make it thru this though.........