Tonight I count my blessings...

Old 05-31-2005, 06:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tonight I count my blessings...

my 6 year old had a school concert tonight and as I glanced over at my husband just smiling at her while rubbing our son's back, I was struck by just how fortunate I am.

I have 2 children who light up the room with their energy.
I have a home in which I feel safe.
I have a job that I love.
I have friends that are true.
I am healthy and strong.

And I have a husband, for whom I choose not to look at him as flawed and broken and desperate, for tonight he looked complete.

I looked around the crowded room tonight and realized that I was seeing families. Famlies who rallied to come hear their 1st graders sing "Inch By Inch" (among other hits). Families who are in pain, in angst, in struggle. Families who are on the verge of breakdown. Families with alcholic father, mothers, wives, husbands. Families who...for whatever their struggles...were there together in this room. And everyone was smiling. For that 30 minutes...we all felt the joy of those little voices.

If I choose to feed these moments and focus my energy on growing the things in my life that are so sweet and so good, then I know I am blessed.

And tonight my blessings are countless.

Jenny
Old 05-31-2005, 07:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JennyK
If I choose to feed these moments and focus my energy on growing the things in my life that are so sweet and so good, then I know I am blessed.
And tonight my blessings are countless.
Way to focus your energy Jenny.
Sincere gratitude takes us to good places.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Jen:

Since you're focusing on counting your blessings, may I suggest a book that I'm currently reading that teaches us the importance of doing this every day? I think you might enjoy it. I mentioned it briefly before. It's called "Simple Abundance" (the author's name escapes me at the moment).

My sister learned about it by watching Oprah, who claimed it changed her life. So my sister picked up a copy for herself and she said it changed her life, too. She gave it to me as a gift after we spent a day antiquing, having lunch, and then browsing the bookstore.

It's a collection of daily readings (much like Melodie Beatty's writings), only they don't focus on addiction. But it does show us how to focus on ourselves and take care of ourselves. I just finished the section on counting our blessings and I've made a concerted effort to do so everyday. It seems like such a simple thing to do, but it's amazing how blessed we discover we truly are once we start to focus on what's positive in our lives.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

jenny - it's moments like these that we truly DO realize how blessed we are and what we have to be grateful for. i am so glad you felt that wonderful feeling and were able to share that with your family and us.

FD - you mentioned that book before and somewhere i misplaced the paper i wrote the title on - i am going on the internet and ordering it - thx
Old 06-01-2005, 07:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Your post made me teary-eyed (in a good way). This seemed to be something I needed to hear. Thank you for the reminder.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What a lovely post!!!

It reminded me of how I feel watching D with our dogs, the little one nearly always curls up on him but the big one is too big! Every now and again he gets up and goes over just to stroke her face so that she doesn't feel left out. There's a blessing in that - a huge blessing, one it's good to be reminded to value.

Thanks....
Old 06-01-2005, 08:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Jenny...I am so impressed that you always find the goodness in things....I am glad that this awful disease hasn't jaded you...hugs to you.
Love, Patty